Ramchargers / Valeo PnP Dual Fan Harness

OK Done.
We will put some into production shortly.
A few extra will be made as there are people out there who are keyboard shy and might want one.

A connection harness for my HI/chip/LO three way switch would be great! PUT ME IN IMMEDIATELY MONEY READY!

Scott

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
A connection harness for my HI/chip/LO three way switch would be great! PUT ME IN IMMEDIATELY MONEY READY!

Scott

Please explain your 3-way switch function?
Does the ECM control high or low speed?

Don't quote me on this but I believe it to be like this, now bear with me here:

The ecm has a High and a Low fan setting. I believe that when it reaches a certain temperature (different settings with different chips, but I will give you an example)

Lets say my ecm is set at low fan for 175 degrees to come on.

The high is set to come on at around 210 degrees I believe.

so basically, the center part of my 3-way switch is called "chip" in which the fan is controlled by the ecm.

The upper part of the switch is for high, and the bottom for low. Now this low and high is for manual control, meaning if I want high fan on all the time, I hit the high button section, if I want low, I hit the low button. Otherwise, I put it to chip to let the computer control it. I know it sounds like I'm repeating myself, but maybe someone can chime in here to clarify. I might be keeping it too simple.

However, a harness that would allow 3 wires coming out of it would be great that I can just connect the wires to the correct switch connectors. I already have wires coming out of the firewall, now just waiting for a hookup!

Scott

Let us know when the second build is complete so I can place my order.. Do not want to miss out... THANKS!

Mike Banas
87GN

Originally posted by NC87GN
Let us know when the second build is complete so I can place my order.. Do not want to miss out... THANKS!

Mike Banas
87GN

As soon as it is we will repost the purchase links.
The new harnesses might have extra plugs for remote control functionality so the price would be a bit higher.

Originally posted by Scott4DMny
... The ecm has a High and a Low fan setting. I believe that when it reaches a certain temperature (different settings with different chips, but I will give you an example)

Lets say my ecm is set at low fan for 175 degrees to come on.

The high is set to come on at around 210 degrees I believe.

so basically, the center part of my 3-way switch is called "chip" in which the fan is controlled by the ecm.

The upper part of the switch is for high, and the bottom for low. Now this low and high is for manual control, meaning if I want high fan on all the time, I hit the high button section, if I want low, I hit the low button. Otherwise, I put it to chip to let the computer control it. ...
Scott,
Years ago I vaguely recall Kenne-Bell has some wiring kit that would let you do basically what you describe.

Here's my take on it:

1) why would one need a manual, "always on", low speed fan setting? The ECM chip will always TRY to control the low speed to maintain the temperature programmed in the chip. May not always make it with a stock fan.

2) standard relay setup in 86-87's is ECM control of fan at "low speed" only. With the stock fan, it's my understanding the temp could still rise to ~220F. With the Ramcgharger/Valeo fan, would low speed ever rise to ~220F?? I don't know.

One option is to wire the RC/Valeo fan to ALWAYS run high speed under ECM control. Then I have little doubt the ECM could ALWAYS control the temp to what's programmed in the chip. But I suspect the fan would be quite noisy if it was always toggling between "off" and "high" speeds.

The programmed temp varies by Chip mfr, but in Extender chip I think it's around 170-175F maximum.

3) if we let the Chip only operate the RC/Valeo fan at its low speed, then yes, I can see the benefit of manual high speed control to quickly cool the engine on a super hot day.

But I'd prefer the high speed operate off the stock high speed time-delay relay, so that fan eventually shuts off automatically after 10 minutes with ignition off (else you could forget the fan "on" and drain battery!).

I think this is what the old kenne Bell setup did. Equivalent function is achieved by having a manual switch that grounds the over-temp coolant switch in the intake manifold.

4) a connector on the Racetronix harness to manual activate a *timed* high speed fan might be nice but not essential.

5) I don't see the benefit, at all, of having a manual 'always on" low speed fan.

6) IMO, a jumper or similar to allow ECM control at either LOW or HIGH fan speed might be more useful. Cars in Nevada, Arizona, or the South might want the ECM to always control at high speed. In winter or cooler northern climates, ECM control at Low speed alone, might be adequate.

In all cases, the coolant over-temp swich would activate high speed fan at 220F.

7) IMO, the Racetronix harness "as is" , is perfectly fine. There's many different design decisions one can make, all perfectly rational and sensible. There's not necesarily a "wrong" or "right" way to design the function. A lot of time and money could be spent redesigning the harness's function. It would be "different", but not necessarily better or worse.

In the engineering world there's a phrase for this, called "feature creep", "scope increase", or similar. ie, Keep adding features at ever increasing cost and schedule delay, to meet every conceivable need.

I've seen many a project get derailed due to undisciplined "scope increase". This is not always the optimum or most practical approach to product design.

Completely agreed, but I believe racetronix could make this an "option" as MANY are using the hi/chip/low fan switch. More likely than not you can do a post search and see many asking how to wire their 3 way switch. Racetronix could make this happen I'm sure with a bit more ease.

Scott

sorry about that wrong "angry" icon!

whoops, somehow I must have accidentally attached an "angry" icon [:mad:] to my post above, and the system won't let me change it.

Sorry if anybody actually noticed it and took offense. I did not intend to attach any emoticon , at all.

To compensate, :) :) :)

Re: sorry about that wrong "angry" icon!

Originally posted by tom h
whoops, somehow I must have accidentally attached an "angry" icon [:mad:] to my post above, and the system won't let me change it.

Sorry if anybody actually noticed it and took offense. I did not intend to attach any emoticon , at all.

To compensate, :) :) :)

I'm sure no offense was taken Tom!:D Actually, that was very thorough and helpful info. While one would think it unpractical to need a hi and low fan switch, I like to have all available options on my car. Not to mention I already have my ashtray switch plate to accomodate this. Perhaps Racetronix could create a connector that goes in between the original connector with three wires coming from it to wire the switch. Just an idea. It would be very similar to caspers. However, the difference is that it would need to be integrated into the RC fan. This way, one would at least have a choice.

Scott