Railroad box cars....strange question...

DCEPTCN

Smasher-Devourer
What are they worth? There were 2 box cars on my wife and I's acreage when we bought it. I always thought they were kinda neat and we use 'em as extra storage, but I was always told that they are somewhat valuable, as well. Someone has offered to buy them now and I have no idea what price to ask. Ebay turned up a caboose that has a starting bid of $8500, with no takers, so that is of little help. Any ideas, guys? TIA

If they are from a defunct train line & have the trucks maybe a museum that houses RR items might want them

Try the PORTOLA CALIFORNIA rail musuem. They actually let you drive engines & pull th box cars around their private track at $90- an hour.

Otherwise the box cars will never fetch what a caboose will get.
I have seen cabooses turned into Ice cream stands & peoples homes.

You can play hobo anytime you want!!!:cool:

Do they still have the "road names" on them or were they painted over?

If they are still in their original livery, they should also have the build date stenciled on the side.

Are there adjacent tracks? Unlike container- or semi-trailers, boxcars aren't the easiest things to move around.

I've heard that people restore these and actually put them back into service, having companies pull their cars and travel this way. That could be one way to get the GN to BG.

After looking at your photos.
FYI the Santa Fe has since merged with Burlington northern (BNSF). They look decent. They are probably from the 1940-50's because the ladders are on the outside & go to the top. newer stock don't have them all the way up.
the reason is the brake wheels were up top for the brakeman to use. today they are near coupler.

The moving would be way to much $$ unless rail is close by.

I am gonna say Keep em as storage because they won't get you much as scrap. I am gussing $500 each.

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
After looking at your photos.
FYI the Santa Fe has since merged with Burlington northern (BNSF). They look decent. They are probably from the 1940-50's because the ladders are on the outside & go to the top. newer stock don't have them all the way up.
the reason is the brake wheels were up top for the brakeman to use. today they are near coupler.

The moving would be way to much $$ unless rail is close by.

I am gonna say Keep em as storage because they won't get you much as scrap. I am gussing $500 each.
Moving is not an issue as the interested party owns the crane and flatbed necessary to move them 5 miles up the road where he plans to use them as rustic decoration for his brewery. I'll be selling them one way or another because the land is for sale.....

Ghost in this pix :D .
attachment.php

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
If they are from a defunct train line & have the trucks maybe a museum that houses RR items might want them

Otherwise the box cars will never fetch what a caboose will get.
I have seen cabooses turned into Ice cream stands & peoples homes.

Those look like a standard 50' box car that a lot of RR had back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s and will not be worth a bunch of money compared to a caboose like littlesixsteve said. One reason is that box cars are still made where as caboose (cabooses? cabeese?) havent been made in years. While Im a model railroader and dont keep up with what the real thing sells for Im guessing that $500 each is a decent price but before you sell them you might check in the below forum since they are into trains like this board is into Buicks.
http://www.trains.com/community/forum/default.asp

HTH