racetronix fuel pump and hot wire kit

Robert Dean

I recently installed the racetronix fuel pump and hot wire kit. Started the car for the first time after installation and it worked perfectly. It sounded great, nothing seemed wrong. I just finished adjusting my new accufab fuel pressure regulater, also purchased from racetronix. The car was running for about 20 minutes or so, just idling in the garage while I was checking stuff. I turned around to do something and the car just stopped. I tried starting it again but it just sputtered and wouldn't start. I checked all the fuses and none are burnt. Fuel pressure gauge does not move. I can turn the key on but I can't hear the pump run, and I could before. The pump is not running. What the hell happened? I don't understand how everything could work perfectly and then just stop. I'm confused and aggravated! Anybody have any suggestions on what happened or what I should do. Please help.

I'm pretty sure that's what he means. If you turn the key on and you have no voltage coming out of the relay then check to make sure the relay that was supplied with the kit is closing the contacts.

I'm pretty sure that's what he means. If you turn the key on and you have no voltage coming out of the relay then check to make sure the relay that was supplied with the kit is closing the contacts.
Does the stock relay on the car have to be working properly even after the hot wire kit is installed? Which one is it? I mean out of all the relays under the hood on both inner fenders, which one of them is the stock fuel pump relay? This car is an 87 GN.

Yes it needs to be working. It is on the passenger side above the wheelwell. It is the relay closest to the front-next to the Map sensor.

Yes it needs to be working. It is on the passenger side above the wheelwell. It is the relay closest to the front-next to the Map sensor.
So I tried by passing the hot wire kit relay and plugging the pump straight into the stock wires. Turned the key on and I swear I heard the pump buzz for a split second and then nothing, maybe I was just hearing things, I'm not sure. Still no fuses burnt. I'm going to check for voltage coming out of the hot wire relay. If there is no voltage at the hot wire relay, can I bypass the stock relay with a jumper wire to see if that's the problem? And how do I do that?

I still haven't checked for voltage at the hot wire relay yet. Waiting for a helper to turn the key on for me while I check with a multimeter.

By pass the hot wire kit and plug in the stock connector to the new pump. At the back of the alternator is the fuel pump test lead. It has a black connector that is not connected to anything. The tach lead connector is there also but that has a green connector. Use a jumper wire and apply 12volts to the fuel pump test wire. The pump should come on.

By pass the hot wire kit and plug in the stock connector to the new pump. At the back of the alternator is the fuel pump test lead. It has a black connector that is not connected to anything. The tach lead connector is there also but that has a green connector. Use a jumper wire and apply 12volts to the fuel pump test wire. The pump should come on.
Do I do that with the key on or off? Or does it matter?

Put 12v from battery to that connector and pump should come on , without ignition on .

20150913_111434.jpg

I tested it with key off, jumper wire straight to the battery, ecm wire unplugged. Pump didn't turn on. Do I need the ecm wire plugged in for this test to work?

No don't need key on or ECM that bypasses everything and sends power right to the pump. If it does not come on then the ground to the pump may be bad or the pump is defective.

No don't need key on or ECM that bypasses everything and sends power right to the pump. If it does not come on then the ground to the pump may be bad or the pump is defective.
Ok. So the jumper wire test didn't work. The fuel pump did not turn on. I tested all the wires at the back with a multimeter. When I tested the stock wires without going through the hotwire relay, they showed 6.5 volts. I plugged the hotwire harness back in and tested the wires going through the hotwire relay and they showed the full voltage, showed like 12.2 or 12.3. Do those voltages sound right? I feel like I have a defective pump. What should I do?