r134a conversion complete! those that have done THIS conversion please come inside! :)

sakudog

Just looking for some opinions of others that have done a full r134a conversion, I used the well known write up and it has served me well.

My car has: large front mount, F-body radiator & twin electric fans that are temp controlled.

Here is a contextual overview of my process:

The parts:
New compressor from NOS4GN
New evap from NOS4GN
New accumulator/dryer from NOS4GN
New expansion valve / orfice from NOS4GN (for an 87)
New switches & sensors from NOS4GN ( 3 positions, compressor, highside line,evap/lowside sensors)
New R134a adapter kit installed correctly from Austin Rebuilders
New o-rings from Austin Rebuilders
Rebuilt lines from Austin Rebuilders
Re-used but heavily flushed the OEM condenser core

added PAG to:
evap = 2oz
lines = 2oz
condensor = 2oz
compressor = 2oz
total = 8 oz of PAG 150

Pulled vacuum for 30 minutes and tested for 1.5 hours, vacuum held great
Pulled vacuum for 8 hours then charged system

After adding what I guess is about 3.65 cans (because I couldn't get all of the juice out of every can) my pressures looked like this in my garage at idle:

93 degrees ambient / 42% humidity
low side 46-48 / high side 280-285

I followed the r134a write up to the final steps, ended up with the following results:

At standing idle the A/C center vent temp gets down to about 55 degrees (is this because of the electric fans & big front mount?)

On any type of driving the A/C center vent temp gets down to 41-42 degrees.

While driving it last night and watching the center vent temps with a infrared gun the temps go down to 35 then warm up to 44-45 and then come back down to 40 and set there for a while, then dip into the low 30s and then come back up again. As I've been told by trusted advisers this is totally ok and normal.

My thoughts are if I re-check my pressures tonight and they seem similar given the conditions should roughly be the same I think I'm good to go but I'd welcome your thoughts.

Finally: I did not adjust the low pressure switch last night as it seems to not have an issue with pressures on the low side at current ambient temps. Is this something I should try adjusting when the ambient air temps get lower (sub 85) so the low side pressure is actually going to be near the cut-off point? Is there any reason to adjust it today?

Add a few more ounces of r134a or call it done and enjoy the fruits of my labor?

Looks to be a bit overcharged to me. Is the high side pressure readings with the fans running on high?

As far as I can tell my fans only run at one speed, which sucks IMO.

Temp-pressure-chart-33776F.jpg

This is the chart I used and I double checked it last night (Hottest June day ever recorded in Austin yesterday at 109+ w/40% Humidity!) and I saw:

55 Low side / 340 High Side