quickest gn and gnX

1fast6

Trying to find out what the quickest (1/4 mile) completely stock but tuned GN and GNX et's are.

I know a lot of people think these cars run 11's off the showroom floor but I know that is not true. Now if it was tuned that might be a different story.

So let's hear what you got. Only facts. No "My uncles, friends, sister was dating a guy that had a bone stock 10 sec. GNX...."

My 87 GN Bone Stock did 14.32 @ 96 mph. Only thing that wasn't factory was a different battery, temp gauge & wideband gauge. I am hoping that with my list of mods I have done, that I can turn that number into a low 12 second number 12.30 to12.20's would be nice.

Still gonna be a stock turbo, so I'm not to sure on that.

Trying to find out what the quickest (1/4 mile) completely stock but tuned GN and GNX et's are.

I know a lot of people think these cars run 11's off the showroom floor but I know that is not true. ....

This question has been presented many times over the years, and yours states "completely stock".

A completely stock GN came with 215/65x15 Goodyear tires which made this the limiting factor in the 1/4 mile. :eek:

I have heard and read all the BS times claimed and in magazine articles that a "stock" GN turned low 14's or in the 13's?

In late 80's the "completely" stock GN's, including mine, were lucky to get into the 14's on a good day. There was NO way the STOCK tires would hook on any track, and especially not on the street.

You will hear and read about many GN's that did better, but after 25 years the stories seem to "grow", and cannot be verified. :biggrin:

So have fun with this, and if you want to run a test, my original Goodyears mounted on original wheels are stored in my attic! :)

Are these cars bone stock cars running 11's in TSA? I would really like to know what they are doin to these cars to make them go that fast being a factory car.

So the question arrises. Is a chip and race gas going to take it out of the equation, even if still on orignal tires?? I ask because two weeks after I bought my 86 off the showroom floor, I took it to the track in Chesapeak VA for the "Little Guy Nats." Race gas, and a KB chip, netted me a best of 13.11 on the original tires, and a very very sticky track!

My 87 GN Bone Stock did 14.32 @ 96 mph.

I too recall running 14.30s at Englishtown after getting my first GN in 1990. It was bone stock with T-tops and about 20,000 miles. The first mod was two pieces of wire shoved into the ALDL connector and hooked to a toggle switch to lock the converter. Picked up about a tenth.

Mine was bone stock down to the filter and it ran 14.1-14.7 at 96-97mph at Ennis, Tx. It was a T so it was lighter than a GN.

I ran my bone stock Gn many times at Atco and Englishtown in the late 1980's

I ran some 14.00's but most runs were mid to high 14's due to the tires like Nick said.

The real problem would be the 1-2 shift. I would baby it great off the line and then second gear would hit and I would go sideways.

Some days with good weather Atco would be below Sea level which helps too.

This question has been presented many times over the years, and yours states "completely stock".

A completely stock GN came with 215/65x15 Goodyear tires which made this the limiting factor in the 1/4 mile. :eek:

I have heard and read all the BS times claimed and in magazine articles that a "stock" GN turned low 14's or in the 13's?

In late 80's the "completely" stock GN's, including mine, were lucky to get into the 14's on a good day. There was NO way the STOCK tires would hook on any track, and especially not on the street.

You will hear and read about many GN's that did better, but after 25 years the stories seem to "grow", and cannot be verified. :biggrin:

So have fun with this, and if you want to run a test, my original Goodyears mounted on original wheels are stored in my attic! :)

exactly what i was looking for. thanks.

In 1986 Car and Driver tested the GN at 13.9 in the quarter. In 1987 Car and Driver did the GNX at 13.7. I guess its possible the cars could have been stealthly juiced from the factory but, the tires would have been stock.

the reason for the question is because of a water cooler discussion about the "old" muscle cars of the 60's-70's mainly the hemi powered cars from the chrysler camp.
I told my co-worker that the GN would hang with any off the "stock" hemi cars from that era due to tire/traction issues. Just like every other person he swears up and down the an off the showroom hemi car would run low 11's. I had to remind him that the old G70's would hook on a patch of super glue. I think both cars are evenly matched.

1st time at the track my car bone stock went 14.1,put a set of mcrearys on and a kb chip 1st pass was 13.1,left that day with a 12.8 and was very happy.car just killed the stock tires.

back in '95 had a 87 limited, 124k miles completely untouched (previously owned by an older gentleman) 13.8's @ 97 mph, 2 months later added bgc fuel pump, '93 vintage atr pit bull chip, atr underhood ram-air & walker turbo mufflers- 12.63 @ 106 on pump gas. sold to my brother in law 5 yrs later, still ran 12.79 at 105 w/188k miles...should have kept that one...

Chris Chow's WE4 did 13.6@104 stock, at sea level, factory tires.