Questions Concerning Jeep steering shafts

Dennis Kirban

From what I understand the lower steering shaft that Jeep used onthe Grand Cherokee model vintage 1995 will adapt to our Turbo Regals.

In doing some basic research it appears on the Grand Cherokee that 1992-1995 are the same.

What I need to know is someone that has done this to explain to me what for sure is needed and how it works or what gets modified if anything etc and so on.

I have sources once I can determine exactly what I am seeking since this part was not designed for the G body
cars.

Any expert help is appreciated from any member(s) who have done this and what did they find worked etc.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Years ago I was one of the first ones to drop a GN steering box into my GTO and was selling a kit that let GTO owners use the original SAE lines for the metric steering box. My old 1964 GTO was like 4 1/2 turns left to rite also known as forever steering not to mention the steering wheel diameter was a huge as a wall clock. On a side note that optional 1964 steering wheel today brings $1500 or more!!!!!

That box made a huge difference. in road feel and turns left to rite.

Small changes can translate into major changes when parts are new.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I am not sure the specific model year of Jeep necessary. Some of the years seemed "off"
I installed a correct one on my GN and the difference was night and day. A whole lot less slop in the wheel.
It was a simple matter to pull one off and install the other. No modification necessary.
I made sure my new unit was cleaned, lubed and painted and I took advantage when the old one was out to clean a little in that area.
I have ones that will fit and ones that won't if you like I can take and post some pics.

You'll get conflicting information based on what I've read and my own experiences. I did zero, and I do mean zero, modifications to get mine to work. Everything I've read here and on a malibu site claim this and that has to be done. Most common seems flattening or drilling the upper shaft so the pinch bolt can go through - maybe there are slightly different shafts after all in the 92-95 range. I've seen lots of cases of the telescoping shaft being frozen, but that's the risk of used parts and not really a design incompatibility. I bought mine here from LSJM1, he had cleaned and painted it - a very good piece!

You'll get conflicting information based on what I've read and my own experiences. I did zero, and I do mean zero, modifications to get mine to work. Everything I've read here and on a malibu site claim this and that has to be done. Most common seems flattening or drilling the upper shaft so the pinch bolt can go through - maybe there are slightly different shafts after all in the 92-95 range. I've seen lots of cases of the telescoping shaft being frozen, but that's the risk of used parts and not really a design incompatibility. I bought mine here from LSJM1, he had cleaned and painted it - a very good piece!

Appreciate your input.....My plan is to market brand new ones eliminates any wear issues dealing with a 10-15 year old part. Making it an option to the factory rag joint/coupler design that Buick used.

It seems the Jeep shaft comes from a Grand Cherokee 1995 vintage?

When you say zero modifcations is the Grand Cherokee Jeep the same identical length as the Buick lower shaft is? I know from doing GTO parts that GM shared the same parts with AMC/Jeep back in the 1970s as we did Packard date coded plug wires which AMC cars also had and I know steering boxes are the same for some of the Jeeps.

Appreciate any answers.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

If you're question is, is the installed length on a Jeep the same as the installed length on a Regal - probably not. The shaft was shipped fully compressed, so I did have to draw it out some to be the same length as the stock shaft. But since it's a variable length shaft, and I don't recall hitting the runout limits in either direction, it shouldn't matter?

Attaching some cell pics
UpperShaft.jpeg
TelescopeShaft.jpeg
LowerShaft.jpeg

Dennis I installed one of these on my GN and several other cars for customers. Its been awhile since my research on this but as others have said some jeeps here and there in the 92-95 range have a slightly different top of shaft design which works but requires notching the top shaft on the column to get the bolt to run in so you can install the shaft. Others just bolt in with no issues I've had a few that required modifying and chose not to install them and seek the correct part the one pictured below is a direct bolt on. I torque the bolts correctly with loctite and mark the bolts after torquing with a paint pen, for obvious reasons this is not a part you would want a bolt to come loose on.

Kirban update: My game plan is to find a Jeep one brand new that does not require any modificaiton to bolt in to the base of our upper steering shaft, I am in the midst of working on this project and would send one to Richard to check once I figure out what one I think works from a Jeep source.

It wil take some time as its one of several projects we are looking at. I was one of the u pull it yards saturday and even with my limited skill was able to remove a lower shaft from a olds cutlass so I know what I am looking at.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

They are a pain in the ass to pull at a yard. It's soo tight in the engine compartment of these Jeeps. I couldn't pin point a certain year when I went looking. I was basically looking for the big "D" shape on the upper joint. I'm pretty sure the door sticker said I was pulling from a 1993 jeep. Cherokee. The good thing was it was only $10!!

So, ya go to Pik-A-Part, try to find the right year/type, bust your hands getting it out, then find another one for the wife's T. :LOL:--hell, I'd just rather call Dennis!

92-95 range have a slightly different top of shaft design which works but requires notching the top shaft on the column to get the bolt to run in so you can install the shaft.

I had to do the same on mine. Unfortunately, I do not know what year mine came off of, but I'll look for a part #.

.............It seems the Jeep shaft comes from a Grand Cherokee 1995 vintage?

Appreciate any answers.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Dennis, I have installed a few of these shafts, and I am under the impression that it was from a regular Cherokee which used a Saginaw steering box, not the Grand Cherokee, and the years are late 80's to '94?

I did have to notch the upper shaft, and I prefer to do that as the bolt will then positively keep it from slipping off.

I recently installed mine having read about guys notching the upper shaft. I started the bolt and then when I felt a little resistance (assuming the bolt was making contact with the upper shaft) I decided to slowly tighten it with a ratchet and the bolt went in just fine. I bought the shaft from another board member so I'm not sure exactly what year model it was from.

I thought Scot W sold new ones AT GNS ?
We sell the high end ones that are much thicker & stronger with a dampening joint to dampen anything the steering shaft may encounter.

I have also installed several of these (used) jeep shafts and chose to sell this new one we are carrying simply because I just couldn't see installing a old used part on our company car or customers cars. I do have the Jeep part number for the "New" ones but you will pay dearly for them shafts new, which again is why we carry the one we do...