Question for MAC owners and computer experts?

101prf

Is it true that Macs don't get viruses or spyware unless windows is installed? If I bought one and installed windows to use a powerlogger could windows be closed when using the internet? I'm looking at laptops and the Macs seem much better, they cost more but not if I don't have to pay for antivirus protection every year.

Is there something wrong with Macs? I've only heard good things about them, but thats always seems to be the way until I buy something, then everyone seems to know about the problems.

Is there something wrong with Macs? I've only heard good things about them, but thats always seems to be the way until I buy something, then everyone seems to know about the problems.
I'm a IMAC20 owner, let me know after you buy one, then I will tell you about the problems. J/K
MACs can get viruses, but I have heard that to do it, you have to go to sites that you shouldn't be on in the first place.
If you install Windows, then I believe that you will need all accompanying spyware.

I'm thinking about one of those small netbooks for my car and a Mac for home. With all my computer knowledge, I may want to keep windows out of my Mac.

Nothing wrong with them... if all you ever want to do is get online with it. Any of the major linux distributions (all free$$$) would be a better choice. I like what windows has to offer and really don't see the need to move away from it entirely. I run some linux and freebsd variants for certain things at home and work. If you can figure out half the things on these cars, any computer should be a piece of cake. Macs just seem to be very hand holding if you ask me.

Dell has a Netbook that comes with ubuntu instead of windows, wouldn't do me good for the powerlogger. If I download ubuntu to my computer, would I just log off windows and use ubuntu. Then just log on to windows when using a program that requires it?

here's my take. I was a music major and computer science minor. I had three pc's in three years, and got tired of viruses and computer herpes. I was using mac's at the college music/graphics arts computer lab. The reason they used them was they handled music and art better back then. They were also safer for recording and mastering, as losing your hard drive is much rarer with a mac. I bought my first mac in 2000. I'm on my second. They are less bulky, lighter, stronger (cnc'd out of billet), and do everything I need to do. They surf safe, do e-mail, photo's, video, and record music all with software built in. Oh, they have a pretty good program called iTunes that's native to the os and works perfectly with it. Search functions are easier than windows.

My dad swapped after getting tired of me saying, "I don't worry about that with my computer," or something like that. He loves his. There's nothing you can do on a windows that you can't do on a mac.

losing your hard drive is much rarer with a mac.

Why is that? Apple doesn't make hard drives, they get them from the same place as everyone else. I remember cracking a G3 open years ago and it had a maxtor in it. At the time, maxtor was bottom of the barrel.. almost anyways, IBM deskstars had them beat for failures. Just curious.

kirban 2 cents worth

I can also say from experience that Mac doesn't get many viruses or issues my wife and I have 5 of them and have been great computers. I personally like the older ones not sure what version it is but has the bubble base with the swivel flat screen.

They are better for certain aspects over a PC.

Course I am sure mine does far more stuff than I know how to work but if you taking a pole I vote for the Mac....

They have come down in price in recent years probably due to more being sold...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My wife has one of the newer versions where everything is tucked into the screen itself...

Why is that? Apple doesn't make hard drives, they get them from the same place as everyone else. I remember cracking a G3 open years ago and it had a maxtor in it. At the time, maxtor was bottom of the barrel.. almost anyways, IBM deskstars had them beat for failures. Just curious.

The OS and how it accesses. It goes back to the virus thing, since most hard drive failures back then were due to viruses. And the original code that the OS's were written in etc. Back then there was a lot of talk about mac being written in 100% java. I can't remember what windows was written in, last I cared was in college. But I think it was in C which, if I remember the argument at the time, was more susceptible to errors in the compiling process with array out of bounds and null pointer errors resulting in writing over information that wasn't allocated for the program. Eventually one poorly written program could destroy valuable information over time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that macs are indestructible or never f-up.

The OS and how it accesses. It goes back to the virus thing, since most hard drive failures back then were due to viruses. And the original code that the OS's were written in etc. Back then there was a lot of talk about mac being written in 100% java. I can't remember what windows was written in, last I cared was in college. But I think it was in C which, if I remember the argument at the time, was more susceptible to errors in the compiling process with array out of bounds and null pointer errors resulting in writing over information that wasn't allocated for the program. Eventually one poorly written program could destroy valuable information over time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that macs are indestructible or never f-up.

How long ago was college? A new windows kernel goes rtm about every two and a half years. Things have evolved. Yes, most of the computers I deal with everyday get the living snot beat of them.

I couldn't find any hard facts or performance metrics stating that macs last longer.

To all you mac users, back your stuff up just like us Windows and Linux users:) The drives fail at the same rate... maybe that guy in the mac commercials can show people how to recover a failed drive. I get a kick out of those.

Actually, they have a program called time machine that backs up automatically. You can browse your computer like it was at whatever time you want to go back to and restore to current.

When recording it's nice to add real time effects, mix, and record multiple tracks at the same time. While windows computers could do this, they were also prone to freezing. There's no worse feeling that being scared of hitting the wrong button or clicking the wrong link. You should never be scared to run programs. Also shouldn't have to reboot that much. I never do, unless I update something and it makes me.

Last windows computer I had used windows 98. I use them at work.

I was graduated college in '03, and was done with my cs stuff around '01. Yeah, it goes back a ways. However, I have been very happy with my 2 macs in the last 10 years. Probably won't buy a new computer for another 3-5 years. Never used the cs since, it was just a minor and really stopped liking it once it got to low level code based on algorithm analysis (basically writing a simple task with fewest calls on memory on average).

What you buy is preference, some people don't like macs. Check out a mac store, then check out what other places have to offer. It's your decision. I'm happy with my computer, lets me do what I want. But that's just it, it's subjective. If it's what you want, does what you want, and makes you happy... that's what's for you. Some people like Fords, some like Chevy's, some like Honda's, some like turbo buicks.

hehe, re-read... "I was graduated college..."

I still haven't learned to proof read!

Mac or PC?....

I use both Mac's and PC's at home and in the office. I've been using Macs for 14 years now, PC's for much longer. I'm the IT guy/computer technician in my office.

If you asked me back then (14 yrs ago), which one I preferred, I'd say the PC hands down.

If you asked me 6 years ago I'd say that it was a wash either way. Both had their good and bad points.

Since a couple of years ago it's been Mac all the way. I'll never buy another PC if I can help it.

I tell EVERYONE to buy a Mac when they ask me.

............ I couldn't find any hard facts or performance metrics stating that macs last longer.................

Before I purchased my MAC, the only info I was able to obtain was from MAC owners. Did not find even one that was unhappy with them. :)

Then I checked the used market, and found used MAC prices were higher than new, cheaper PC's. After 3 years or so, I would just have to give away the PC because that is what it was worth. :eek:

The only "issues" with the MAC has been the Microsoft programs written for MAC like Excel and Word.

If you need a computer for your GN data, forget the MAC. Bought a Windows program called Parallels so I could do my FAST stuff there, but it caused so many problems I removed it. The MAC never did just quit in the middle of my work until that was installed. It also slowed all other operations.

My cheap laptop is used only for FAST stuff, but I love the MAC and will never go back to the darkside! :biggrin:

Dell has a Netbook that comes with ubuntu instead of windows, wouldn't do me good for the powerlogger. If I download ubuntu to my computer, would I just log off windows and use ubuntu. Then just log on to windows when using a program that requires it?

You can install program called "WINE" its a Windows Emulator on Ubuntu... I use it for data logging software designed for windows.. works fine.

Like Kirv mentioned.. Hard drives can and will fail so always back stuff up.

As far as virus's there are Mac Virus's and or Trojans... dunno how many.
Linux Virus's/Trojans... Ubuntu Security Notices | Ubuntu

Way less then Windows though, that much is assured.

Before I purchased my MAC, the only info I was able to obtain was from MAC owners. Did not find even one that was unhappy with them. :)

Then I checked the used market, and found used MAC prices were higher than new, cheaper PC's. After 3 years or so, I would just have to give away the PC because that is what it was worth. :eek:

The only "issues" with the MAC has been the Microsoft programs written for MAC like Excel and Word.

If you need a computer for your GN data, forget the MAC. Bought a Windows program called Parallels so I could do my FAST stuff there, but it caused so many problems I removed it. The MAC never did just quit in the middle of my work until that was installed. It also slowed all other operations.

My cheap laptop is used only for FAST stuff, but I love the MAC and will never go back to the darkside! :biggrin:

I have had Mac's for years and now work (graphic arts) on 2 MacBook Pro's. When I use a PC after using a Mac, it is like driving your hopped up turbo Regal and then driving a diesel!