Question about my PTE-6365

EYE-OPENER

I finally pulled the turbo off my car to send out for a reseal and bearing change due to the little shaft play I had. I measured it and it's 63mm intake and 65 exhaust wheel with a 63mm exhaust housing. Seeing what else I have on the car, is this a good turbo or are there any changes that would benefit me. The cars a show car that I do some friendly street playing once in a while....any and all input greatly appreciated.

That is a good turbo into the mid to low 10's. You will need more injector to utilize it. What do you have for heads. You will be close to running out of injector at 20psi with a good set of ported heads.

They are steel heads non ported. I guess I will need a data logger so I can see duty cycle then. I just sent the injectors out as well to have them checked and make sure they are flowing correctly. What injector is best with my current combo?

Holy bumpstick Batman! All that cam is pushing the powerband higher up and making it weaker on the bottom end. The healthy Turbo isn't helping the lower rpm/torque either. It would be a lot more responsive with a smaller cam and turbo. But, you have it all now so unless you plan to do a tear down it is what it is. If you went to a 206/206 cam and a 5858 Turbo with the same converter the car would have a whole new temperament.

The cam is what I was told is in it. I have the top end apart and really hate to pull the cam to verify. Mayne I'll get some specs on the cam online and see if I can compare lift to see if it's correct.

If the car is stock headed you are over turboed and over cammed. The turbo is an old design but as already mentioned will run into the low 10's with the right combo. If you are shooting for mid 11's then it's hard to look past the smaller turbos. The spoolup is much better. It's hard to say what to rec since you didnt post goals but based on the show car thing with occasional street play I'd go much smaller. 980 springs arent enough for anything other than a stock cam.

EYE-OPENER said:
They are steel heads non ported. I guess I will need a data logger so I can see duty cycle then. I just sent the injectors out as well to have them checked and make sure they are flowing correctly. What injector is best with my current combo?

If you meant 500cc/min injectors you're not going to max those out with your current combo at less than 30psi in really good air.

On comp cams site it recommended the 980 for that camshaft. I'm gonna have to find out what cam is in it even though I really hate to tear into it more than already done..the machine shop said it set me at just under 100 seat lbs....the injectors are 50lb units, I made a booboo on my sig. Obviously as fast as I can go would be my goal...lo....but honestly to keep it together and have a combo that works decent would be the best goal. It does have some lag that I don't care for, but pulls pretty damn hard as I get it boost braking or after the lag is gone.

You could put the smaller exhaust housing on the 6365. You can stuff that 65 wheel inside the Garrett .63 housing. Better spool up for the street. I'd do a good valve job and bowl clean up on heads for sure! Comp 941 would work well for the spring. Cam is too big but his would help. 210 is the biggest i would have went but... Turbo, cam and converter must match.

Joe

It has the 63 exhaust already. I'm going to have to yank the crap apart and see what cam is in it for sure...then I'll see what I need to mix and match around to get it all inline. The guy before me had a big stall converter and a 70mm turbo at one point....he did some mixing and matching with throwing money at it and not sure he left me going in the right direction....

Yes it's a flat tappet cam.tyanks for compliment...and they are billet specialties wheels..I've always loved them too...just works on most cars I've seen so far...

It all depends on what your goals are, If you want it to be faster Keep the turbo you have and get some ported heads and a better suited cam, or put something like a 206-206 cam in it and a smaller turbo for more responive treet driving. What is he stall speed of your converter at O boost and say 5 pounds of boost?

JP112_89 said:
You could put the smaller exhaust housing on the 6365. You can stuff that 65 wheel inside the Garrett .63 housing. Better spool up for the street. I'd do a good valve job and bowl clean up on heads for sure! Comp 941 would work well for the spring. Cam is too big but his would help. 210 is the biggest i would have went but... Turbo, cam and converter must match.

Joe

Not 941's. It's a flat cam

I'm going to pull the cam in the morning just to verify what the hell is in it. Hopefully it's not the 218 and not gonna cost me even more dough...lol...

Soooo.....the verdict is in. It is a comp cam 69-246-4 which is a 268h 218-218. Now here's the great news....heads are definitely ported and intake as well to the gasket. So with that info what is my best route to go....say high tens? I am totally ok with changing the cam. I would like to keep the turbo being as it will be 100% freshened up and has the polished housing and such and would hate to lose money stepping down unless it made complete sense to.

You should be fine. The cam will make it alittle soft down low. It should go high 10's at 25psi no problem. The injectors will be close to being done. I would want 60's.

EYE-OPENER said:
Soooo.....the verdict is in. It is a comp cam 69-246-4 which is a 268h 218-218. Now here's the great news....heads are definitely ported and intake as well to the gasket. So with that info what is my best route to go....say high tens? I am totally ok with changing the cam. I would like to keep the turbo being as it will be 100% freshened up and has the polished housing and such and would hate to lose money stepping down unless it made complete sense to.

Id verify and install a new set of springs. Probably shooting for 110 on the seat. beyond that practice. If you have good tires already practicing will net more than anything. Once you get it hooking start dialing in more boost. 1.65 rockers on the intake will help if you can get the engine to pull up to 5500. The converter might need some adjustment also.