question about my h-d, rubber on the exhaust

wile87

BEEP BEEP MY ASS
anyone know a good way to get boot rubber off the exhaust pipes? my dumb ass brother started to try and use a scotch brite pad and pit some very fine scratches before i git to him. i just want to get the rubber off but nothing i try is working, lacquer thinner, goo gone, w-d 40, nothing works

it's not in gobs that a blade will work, without scratching the chrome . it's kind of smeared. a blade just won't work.

Did you try getting the exhaust warm? I wouldnt get it boiling hot but let the bike run for a bit and retry using the chemicals you listed. Thats what I would try first.

James

tried it warm, hot and way to hot. i know i am not the first one to melt a boot on a harley exhaust. someone on hear has the trick to remove it, just have to wait it out. the dealer wanted me to buy this tiny container of powder that you dipped a damp cloth in and form a paste with. this tiny thing cost almost $13.00 and they wouldn't gaurentte it would work

Hand cleaner, such as Gojo. The non pumice type, is what I used to get rubber off the pipes on my GN...
I put some newspaper under the pipes, gobbed on the Gojo, and waited..Did this w/ the pipes cold.

If that doesnt work try Colonel Brassy. It may put a slight haze but it will get it off. Not many people carry it/ had to order it (ebay).

It took all the parts of a walwart bag that melted to one my out HD's