quadturbo v8

fatbastard

Im assembling Chevy 377 for blowthrough turbo, My question is will I get in trouble using four turbines with integral wastegates regarding them not opening simutaneusly (spl) headers are in tri-y configuration,4-2-1 the 2 being turbines

turbines are IHI5 units sourced from 3L nissan diesel engine

Thank You
Magnus Finnbjornsson
ICELAND

i don't see why you would need 4 unless you did 4 small ones to eleminate lag while still getting power.

i think your setting yourself for a ton of work, ton of money, and little reward in the end.

look around here, guys run 9's with a single turbo. I think there is some benefit to going with a twin turbo once you start running that fast, mainly less back pressure.

I saw some new car with 4 turbos, i don't remember what car or where, it was some super car in a magazine.

I'm not exactly sure what a blow through turbo is though, so maybe it will work good.

as far as opening 4 wastegates at once its not really a problem, there will be some turbo surge like on any turbo'd car but i wouldnt' think it woudl be a huge issue.

4turbo

Ive got a bunch of these turbos so it doesent cost that much and I´m a pretty competent fabricator so I dont think that will be an issue.So Im going for it!:D

let us know how it turns out.

what is the advantage of using 4 turbos and what exactly is the blowthrough thing?

Denn 454 My main advantage is cost becouse I have a good source of these turbines. And I want to try it out just to see how it works. boost will be around 12 pounds ,I will start at 0psi and work my way up the scale since this is my first homebuilt turbo engine . Blowthrough is to identify it from drawthrough as Im using a carburettor and blowing air through it with the turbine, instead of letting the turbine draw air through the carb

Im not trying to reinvent the whole turbo racing chene here I just dont have the money for a suitable single or two turbines. These turbines are just to small and far too much restriction for a healthy 377 cu/in ,unless there are four of them,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think;)

12 lbs of boost x 4 turbos - could be a lot of shiny parts in your oil pan if you don't take the time to think things through- just a few for you....

compression ratio
fuel management
boost management

You shouldn't have to worry too much about lag with a v-8, and you'll want to look at how much the carb can take before you overwhelm the jets. Also, running a stand-alone port fuel injection system that's tuneable might save you many hours of head banging.

Sounds like a totally cool idea, and should be visually stunning- but I've gotta agree with Denn.

I didn't realize you were going carberated.

IF you can get it to work right then it should be really cool, and look great, a turbo in each corner?

Going fuel injected will pay for its self when you think of all the bottles of advil you wont' have to buy, but its your choice. carberated will work.

It all makes sence, and should work great. Alochol would be a good idea unless you want to get really complicated and try to intercool it. Hurry up and get it done so we can see it.

SouthernCal GN
Im running 8,25:1 compression
850CFM DP holley in enclosure
boost is managed by integral wastegates
just in case ill be running Icelands finest pump gas 100octane;)

For any questions about blow thru carb stuff, go to turbomustangs.com . There is a forum stricktly for the carb folks like me.
As for your quad turbo setup, are you going to run each turbo off of 2 cylinders? or are you planning to send 4 cyl into 1 turbo, then into a second turbo(this is how the tractor pullers do it for monster boost levels).

incidentally,SouthernCalGN- 12lbs of boost from 4 turbos does not mean 48lbs of boost at the intake.

Sounds like an interesting project. that poor little 215 is gonna be barking.

here's a point when trying to hack on turbos that aren't the best for the job. Consider the amount of raw displacement at the RPM you're dealing with, which I'll assume the motor will redline at 4 grand (probably generous here, maybe not since it is a smaller engine) but back to the point we'll say boost starts kicking in about 1500. We take our 3L, multiply it times 1500 revs and this gives us 4500 right? (keep in mind this is EXTREMELY crude but it'll give you the idea) 377 is about 6L, I'm gonna use it because it's easy to do the math for. We have 4 turbos, so we're using 1/4 the engine per turbo which is about 1.5L/turbo. we take 4500 and divide by 1.5 which gives roughly 3,000 revs when it'll start spooling. If you've got performance enhancements it'll probably spool earler then this even quite honestly. I will repeat this method is EXTRORDNARILY crude, so as the saying goes your milage may vary. Far as it goes, I will make the comment that diesel turbos usually are worth more HP on a gasoline motor then they're rated for on a diesel as well, by a good margin. if you havn't playd around with the stuff yet, try www.turbofast.com.au in the "calculators" section or whatever it's labeled, handy tools. There are advantages to diesel turbos, the wastegates on a diesel turbo tend to be HUGE as they're already designed for high boost, if you get that setup going you should have an insane stump puller for sure. =)

Originally posted by fatbastard
SouthernCal GN
Im running 8,25:1 compression
850CFM DP holley in enclosure
boost is managed by integral wastegates
just in case ill be running Icelands finest pump gas 100octane;)
Also, dont use a full carb enclosure. Has been proven to be inferior to the bonnets available from Extreme Velocity or CSU.