Q16....

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I have seen some chatter about Q16 creating fuel system problems. [A search came up empty.]
I have a set of 160's in for cleaning...[Customer reported some "weird" behavior]. It appears they have the original baskets, o'rings on them, so I doubt they've ever been cleaned.
Report from owner says they have been on Q16 for 2 yrs... Filter baskets have a considerable amt of black particles in them. I suspect it's hose lining material...
Going to run them w/ before/after flow test... May be interesting!:eek:

NE1 else w/ this "issue"?
Just like Fox news...We report, you decide!:D

I've been running it since it came out it takes about 3-4% more fuel to the tune but no fuel problems that I have had. It don't smell good:eek:

Steve

Q16

It's oxygenated 116 octane, you want to remove it from vehicle after each use. It has an acidic way of eating hoses, gaskets, etc. A lot of people forget and leave it in fuel system, making for a problem later. I don't mind, I have rebuilt MANY fuel systems!

Hmmm. Maybe I am the lucky one. Mine always has it in it never drained it does have dual filters on it from aeromotive a pre pump strainer and a post pump filter element.

Steve

What is the oxygenating agent?

The oxygenator is MTBE not methanol. Anyone who runs non lined hose will likely see particles in the baskets of the injectors unless they are replacing the lines often. If i had a fuel system with non anodized aluminum components id be concerned about rust.

Update..

No difference in flow #'s w/ and w/o the filter baskets in place.
Going to clean and reflow.. More later.

Hey Chuck,
Spoke with Sid Neal the other day, said you had the Chevy back from the paint guy. Need to have Sid build me a 200R4 for the El Camino. Still looking for GN rear locally for it too. I may have to go the Mosler route for what they want for used junk. Bob M. is off to Florida for a month in the motor home. Merry Xmas!

Larry

No difference in flow #'s w/ and w/o the filter baskets in place.
Going to clean and reflow.. More later.
With the alcohol, I've always run my electronic injectors without the thimble screens. They were always plugging up with Shtuff. That's just how the alcohol is. I do have large inline filters before the fuel rails and injectors, though.

Yep..

With the alcohol, I've always run my electronic injectors without the thimble screens. They were always plugging up with Shtuff. That's just how the alcohol is. I do have large inline filters before the fuel rails and injectors, though.

I just cleaned 3 sets of 230#'rs. 1 set had been run w/ a 100% hard anodized system, and no filter baskets. [They were OK.. Brad Brand's 10.5 car.] The other 2 sets were a MESS. Both had tremendous amts of crap in the baskets. They are now in the process of completely replumbing the car.. I pulled the baskets and left them out.

Larry..

Hey Chuck,
Spoke with Sid Neal the other day, said you had the Chevy back from the paint guy. Need to have Sid build me a 200R4 for the El Camino. Still looking for GN rear locally for it too. I may have to go the Mosler route for what they want for used junk. Bob M. is off to Florida for a month in the motor home. Merry Xmas!

Larry

Give me shout. Maybe we can find a rearend....
770-265-5144 C.
706-342-3152 H/S.

Typically with alcohol, a 40 micron wire mesh filter is about as low as you can find, or should go for filtering the fuel. A fuel pump pre-filter would be a 100 micron. I've been running without the baskets for as long as I can remember. Whatever gets past the wire mesh screens, it appears, gets through the electronic injectors without any problems. I've been running the same 160#s since the beginning of the project.

I run a 100 micron before the electric pump. A large 40 micron after the pump. Smaller 40 micron inline filters in each line going to each fuel supply line after the split up of the main line coming from the back of the car to each supply line to each fuel rail, nitrous fueling, and aux fueling in the engine bay. Lots of filters, but with alcohols, you can never have too much filtering.

Chuck,
What kind of flow bench do you have? I have a New Age NA8, and with my bench I can't get accurate results on much anything larger than 95lb with the OEM pump. Just curious.
Thanks

The oxygenator is MTBE not methanol. Anyone who runs non lined hose will likely see particles in the baskets of the injectors unless they are replacing the lines often. If i had a fuel system with non anodized aluminum components id be concerned about rust.

Boom! rust, I just took a head off of a snowmobile that was running Q16 (turbo 4 stroke) and 2 of the exhaust valves were rusted tight, owner did not flush system after use.
Mike

Boom! rust, I just took a head off of a snowmobile that was running Q16 (turbo 4 stroke) and 2 of the exhaust valves were rusted tight, owner did not flush system after use.
Mike

If they are going to park it they should pull the header and spray wd40 in the ex ports.