putting engine back together, where to use gasket sealer?

85begalttype

just a v6
im going to be installing the front cover, intake manifold, oil pan, heads, valve covers etc.. i know not to use gasket sealer on the head gaskets,

Intake manifold - waters passages? on both the head and manifold side of the gasket?

valve covers - ive got the rubber fel pro gaskets, should i use sealer on the valve cover side so the gasket sticks and easier to install

timing cover - install dry or i bit of sealant on which side of the gasket?

oil pan - i got the thick cork gasket and i was told this was best to install dry

I use a thin film of Ultra Black on both sides of the intake gasket. I rub it with my thumb and finger. That'll spread it thin. I also put a healthy dap in each corner of the rubber end seals, too. I also use a layer of Ultra Black on both sides of a cork pan gasket. Snug up the bolts a bit at a time to keep the gasket from tearing. I use a thin layer (more like a film) of Ultra Black on the timing cover gasket with a dab in each lower corner. Very thin for sure around the oil pasages and thicker around the water ports. This way the gasket comes off real easy in the future and seals very well. I like to bond the valve cover gaskets to the valve cover for ease of installation. Rear main seal......Ditch the rubber side seals and use a caulking gun to pump silicoine into the cavity after torquing.

Ditch the rubber side seals and use a caulking gun to pump silicoine into the cavity after torquing.[/QUOTE]

Don't ditch them--send them to me. I know how to install them.

Ditch the rubber side seals and use a caulking gun to pump silicoine into the cavity after torquing.

Don't ditch them--send them to me. I know how to install them.[/QUOTE]

I use to use them, but now just pump silicone into the cavities and have never had an issue. It'll ooze out of the front and back of the cap, then I smear it with my finger. Perfectly sealed. Oh ya, I alos put a very light layer of silicone on the aft side of the main cap to block interface so oil doesn't seep through the parting line.

Send me your address and I'll start collecting them for you.;)

thanks for the very helpful information. i cant wait to get my motor put back together and painted all nice. gm blue block and heads, timing cover and water pump, aluminum color intake manifold, not sure on the valve colors yet, aluminum with black ribs i think

address

Don't ditch them--send them to me. I know how to install them.

I use to use them, but now just pump silicone into the cavities and have never had an issue. It'll ooze out of the front and back of the cap, then I smear it with my finger. Perfectly sealed. Oh ya, I alos put a very light layer of silicone on the aft side of the main cap to block interface so oil doesn't seep through the parting line.

Send me your address and I'll start collecting them for you.;)[/QUOTE]

Lee Thompson
2029 Grider Oaks Ct.
Bowling Green, Ky.
Thank you.--Lee