putting an engine together...few questions

BigTurbo6

Rebuilding my motor with a spun rod bearing...

1) What head gaskets should I use?
2) Can I use stock lifters, etc with a 204/214 cam?
3) Where should i purchase new rods, rings, etc. ?
4) ARP Head studs.. Billet Caps.. Poly motor mounts...Do I need these? If so which vendor?

My ultimate goal is 7's in the 1/8th. What else am I going to need in this build that I'm not thinking about?

When u change the cam , you need to use new lifters like stock gms or sealed power HT-969s (which i have a set if you need them ). Headgaskets fel-pro 9441-pt (permanent torque-also have a spare set of) ,headstuds-summits have the best prices, rods- maybe full throttle, i would use two center billet caps- require line honing. Bearings clevites or federal mogul, cam bearings ta performance durabond-B-13s.

I will take a different approach. Stock GM head gaskets are hard to beat. However for the price a good set of cometics are hard to beat also. If using cometics, make sure to shoot them with a little copper spray and drop a couple of GM seal tabs in the rad once you have the car running and warmed up. Use of ARP harware in the mains and heads is a good idea. If sticking with the stock crank stck with the stock rods and even the stock SPS hardware. Make sure you get a shop that can do a good recondition of the rods though.

Cam, always use new lifters, never use the old ones. Add lube when installing cam, make sure you use dino oil and add a bottle of GM EOS when breaking in cam and the first 1 -2 oil changes.

Stick with stock rods, Bearings and rings contact Full Throttle Performance, Jack Cotton or Weber Racing.

If using stock pistons get a set of speedpro rings. If overboring then get rings with the pistons you order.

Hope this helps.

No real magic in building these engines...just take your time, and do it right the first time. Billet mains are nice, but if you're not building some killer 9 second ride, stick with the stock main caps. Stock hardware on the bottom end is fine. If you go with ARP rod bolts, get the rods resized.

Make sure the clearances are to spec on the mains, rods, and oil pump.

Felpro 9441 head gaskets, or the Victor OE- hard to beat. Simple and effective. Highly recommend ARP head bolts/studs, as they're reusable. Don't reuse the stock SPS head bolts.

If the $$ are available, might want to go roller on the cam- one less thing to worry about.

Poly mounts- some hate, some love. I personally like the stock mounts with the hold down strap.

What's the rest of your combo (turbo, convertor, injectors, chip, alky, etc)?

Well i have a 204/214 cam to use, heads have valve job and new springs, good rockers. I'm gonna buy a turbo and alky after the motor's running...maybe a TE44? Intercooler neck just needs to be welded on...everything in my sig. I think you guys have pointed me in the right direction, thanks.

Good cam- made mucho power for me :biggrin:

Recommend you figure out which turbo you want, and get the convertor to match the size of the turbo BEFORE you reinstall the engine....that way, you won't have to pull the trans to put a higher stall convertor.

Get an OE timing set from GM, and build the thing. Looks like you have a pretty good setup brewing......

Your goal can easily be achieved with stock parts. The only thing you will need to upgrade is the head bolts. Graphite head gasket is the best choice for your goals. Resize the stock rods and use new fasteners. ARP or new stock rod bolts. Ive never seen a rod bolt failure in one of these. The machine work is more important than the parts your putting in it. Your timing cover will need attention. If the gear pocket is worn out resource a good used or spend the money and get a new one from TA. End clearance for pump gears should be .0015. I dont reccomend high volume pumps. They cause excess cam bearing wear and wear out the bronze busning in the cam sensor prematurely. Use a hard cam bearing in the front like a Clevite. Babbit in the other three spots. Keep rod and main clearances around .0015. Buy a new set of stock engine mounts. Use GM EOS in the oil. Add a new bottle on every oil change if you go with a flat cam and not a roller.

SouthernCal GN said:
Good cam- made mucho power for me :biggrin:

Recommend you figure out which turbo you want, and get the convertor to match the size of the turbo BEFORE you reinstall the engine....that way, you won't have to pull the trans to put a higher stall convertor.

Get an OE timing set from GM, and build the thing. Looks like you have a pretty good setup brewing......
The timing set in no longer available from GM to my knowledge.

Oh, i had a new timing set with just a few hundred miles on engine. New oil pump gears with plate on it also. Yeah torque convertor before engine goes in for sure! I'm getting excited, this site is the best!