Putting a 86/7 motor in a 84/5 GN.

MrRush28

This question is purely hypothetical. I almost bought an 84/5 Grand National that didn't have the motor, everything else was intact. Interior was spotless, though it needed a paint job, the body was sound. The guy didn't want too much for the car. Other than the paint and motor, the car was in terrific shape. No rust AT ALL, seats like new, carpet was nice & clean blah blah blah...Anyway...

Let's say if I were to have put a complete 86/7 GN motor in the car, what things am I expected to change to get everything aligned/working properly (with stock 86/7 intercooler)? From what I've gathered the computer and wiring harness are the only things I could stumble upon. I've tried searching, but can't find too much info. Obviously I'm not a Turbo Buick wiz. I've only dealt with Chevy's while working on my dads muscle cars. Never dealt with anything turbo, intercooled, or supercharged.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I have an '85 with an '87 engine/trans...I didn't do the install the previous owner did...but from what little I know the biggest thing is the wiring/computer...the motor itself I believe just dropped in. Wish I could be more helpful but it is possible and my car runs awesome!

you will have to change the brake booster or plumb the hydro boost lines the power steering pump is differant from 84 to 86 easy way is go with vacum brake booster

you will have to change the brake booster or plumb the hydro boost lines the power steering pump is differant from 84 to 86 easy way is go with vacum brake booster

...unless it's a later production 85 that came with the crapmaster.

engine harness, ECM, power steering reservior, radiator (no provisions for the oil cooler lines), electric fan, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something....but it's too late to go out and compare both cars right now.

I have done plenty, there is more than one way to skin a cat. If you have some time give me call as I am too lazy to type. 630-965-1987.

Prasad

This question is purely hypothetical. I almost bought an 84/5 Grand National that didn't have the motor, everything else was intact. Interior was spotless, though it needed a paint job, the body was sound. The guy didn't want too much for the car. Other than the paint and motor, the car was in terrific shape. No rust AT ALL, seats like new, carpet was nice & clean blah blah blah...Anyway...

Let's say if I were to have put a complete 86/7 GN motor in the car, what things am I expected to change to get everything aligned/working properly (with stock 86/7 intercooler)? From what I've gathered the computer and wiring harness are the only things I could stumble upon. I've tried searching, but can't find too much info. Obviously I'm not a Turbo Buick wiz. I've only dealt with Chevy's while working on my dads muscle cars. Never dealt with anything turbo, intercooled, or supercharged.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Do yourself a favour and put a hi-po 350 in there. I'm not being simply facetious or trying to be negative cause I like the idea of the turbo V6-its a neat engine but unless you like tinkering I would take advantage of a clean slate engine bay wrapped in a bad ass car. I'm starting to possibly learn the T-v6 is tempermental and high maintenance...like a super model that gives great **** but wants fine dining in return.