Purpose of small spring on floor shifter assembly?

GotGrunt

I had my console out earlier today in order to replace the gear indicator bulb and noticed that the floor shifter assembly has a tiny spring attached to it, but mine had snapped and I couldn't figure out where the other end attaches to. I was just wondering what that spring actually does, because I left it out.

Thanks!

I had my console out earlier today in order to replace the gear indicator bulb and noticed that the floor shifter assembly has a tiny spring attached to it, but mine had snapped and I couldn't figure out where the other end attaches to. I was just wondering what that spring actually does, because I left it out.

Thanks!

I think it's hooked up like a "u" under the the rod that travels inside the shifter (in front and at the rear), pushing the rod upwards. If left out, when you press the release button on the handle, there won't be much "resistance", or very little, and could allow the shifter to move if hit by mistake. It's part of the safety mechanism..:redface:

Claude.

I think it's hooked up like a "u" under the the rod that travels inside the shifter (in front and at the rear), pushing the rod upwards. If left out, when you press the release button on the handle, there won't be much "resistance", or very little, and could allow the shifter to move if hit by mistake. It's part of the safety mechanism..:redface:

Claude.

Gotcha, I figured as much... thanks Claude.