Pump destroyed and converter hub cracked....thinking slide failure

Interesting slide spring comparison.
20171109_104830.jpg

Yes rotors are interchangeable between 200/700/4l60, it all boils down to the rotor thickness as to what works or not.

Word of caution Mike: Pump clearance is one of the few areas on a transmission where you really ought to bust out the micrometer/depth gauge for clearance and not trust a standard dial caliper. I'd trust the feeler gauge/straightedge or plastigauge first. Or Steve's method as long as you have a flat surface.

Then again I can remember the trans shop days where we would put the bare slide and rotor in the pump, torque two bolts and give it a good shake. If it rattled freely it was good to go!

Thanks for the word of advice, I do have a good set of micrometers. Sure would like to know what actually happened rather than just rebuild it and hope for the best.

You know how to stake the bushing and all that fun stuff?? I'll be building a pump tomorrow and could do a pic tutorial if need be

Oh that would be great! I think everyone will be interested in that if your willing to do it.
Never installed or staked a pump bushing but did notice that one of mine was staked from the back side.

Thanks for the word of advice, I do have a good set of micrometers. Sure would like to know what actually happened rather than just rebuild it and hope for the best.
Unfortunately sometimes we don't know what happened we can use our best educated guess. My rotor exploded cruising this summer, no reason it had been in the trans for 12k miles.

I took about 150 pictures today detailing what I do to a used pump. It'll have to be its own thread and it'll have to be after this weekend where I won't have Wifi the majority of the time.

Some of the pics are showing the difference between the early and late casting and what changed and why. Others are showing the different pump bushings etc.

Excellent! What a nice thing to do for everyone who wants to learn. Glad you decided to put it in a new thread where it can more visible.
Had already decided to change the title of this one if you posted it here(y)

I took about 150 pictures today detailing what I do to a used pump. It'll have to be its own thread and it'll have to be after this weekend where I won't have Wifi the majority of the time.

Some of the pics are showing the difference between the early and late casting and what changed and why. Others are showing the different pump bushings etc.
Great!

As far as heights it looks like 1.5 is full boogie and 1.225 is approx min (off a few thou wouldn't matter for comparison purposes).

I'd like to see:
stock dual springs
Stock dual springs with spacer
Transgo spring alone
Transgo spring with spacer
Transgo spring with stock inner

At both heights if possible. Suppose you could do transgo outer/stock inner AND spacer if you want to get wild and unruly lol.
Would like to see this too if available. Rigged up a makeshift spring pressure tester and .110 didn't make a huge difference. Would also like to see an update to Daves list.......everything I measured fell short on pounds.

Made this to see if I could measure spring pressure out of curiosity. Drill press, refrigerant scale and caliper.
The scale is highly accurate and compression was verified with caliper, numbers were repeatable time after time but are all are lower than expected?

Is there something I'm missing that would cause the low numbers. I did the stock double spring - .110 for ineedagn.
20171113_143904.jpg
20171113_141820.jpg
20171113_141846.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the stock double compared to my unknown single. Wouldn't consider these accurate until someone can post numbers measured with a "real" tool.

Stock double---------------------------------------------Single heavy coil (shorter than stock)

@ 1.470 30 lbs 11.25 oz---------------------------@ 1.470 24 lbs 4.75 oz
@ 1.360 39 lbs 7.75 oz----------------------------@ 1.360 52 lbs 4.00 oz

@ 1.250 51 lbs 2.00 oz----------------------------@ 1.250 75 lbs 0.00 oz

Last edited:
Starting to see why some "builders" have problems.........granted I'm new at this but have already came across several things that would be common sense mistakes. The most recent was yesterday where someone had came up short in the direct drum and used a clutch with the friction material removed as a shim. One side was galled from metal to metal.

Same guy must love his grinder because he surfaced the drum with it and other internal parts:eek:

IMO "Dumb" shouldn't even be an option in the ratings. Don't think I've every said that to anyone in my life in a serious context.

IMO "Dumb" shouldn't even be an option in the ratings. Don't think I've every said that to anyone in my life in a serious context.

I have found that by accident and don't ask me how the wrong symbol showed up on a post that I made.:confused: Great thread and thanks for sharing.

Just noticed a trend in my numbers. By coincidence they were taken in .110 increments and the stock spring increases buy roughly 10 lbs every .110 and the heavy spring increases roughly 25 lbs