Pump destroyed and converter hub cracked....thinking slide failure

Mike T

Converter was spaced properly, dowels in place (no converter bind) so my only guess would be that the slide oscillated violently causing it to crack then took out the pump and converter. Thoughts or past experiences with this???
20171029_111242.jpg

Converter was spaced properly, dowels in place (no converter bind) so my only guess would be that the slide oscillated violently causing it to crack then took out the pump and converter. Thoughts or past experiences with this???View attachment 312055
Been down that road myself few months ago. Cruising 80 mph talking to Bill Brooks on the phone LOL. Chinese 10 vein rotor just blew up had over 12k on it. Put a 7 vien pump back in it no issues so far. My slide did not break, hub did not crack but it's ruined.

Looks like a 10 vein rotor correct?
Yes it is.

Chinese 10 vein rotor just blew up had over 12k on it. Put a 7 vien pump back in it no issues so far.

A builder told me they went back to the 7 vein too. This occurred at higher RPM and its my understanding that the slide spring becomes more critical then. The other explanation could be that the assembly was inferior junk.

Last edited:
Have to feel a little empathy for a builder trying to source parts.......must be frustrating.

Are quality rotors even available anymore? Gm the only source for them?

I guess there's billet ones out there....if you can stomach the price.

What slide spring setup is in it?

Yes it is.

A builder told me they went back to the 7 vein too. This occurred at higher RPM and its my understanding that the slide spring becomes more critical then..

I always use the Noyoyo slide spring and billet pump rings in every build.

What slide spring setup is in it?

Not sure? Looking at two modified pumps side by side and both have the ten vein (appear to be the same), one has double springs and the one that broke has a heavier single spring.

The double ones are probably painted like this?

image.jpg

If so that's the OE dual spring setup used in some calibrations. I think there's more than one aftermarket spring as well as the sonnax spacer. The hot ticket seems to be the transgo 700-pkh outer spring and the stock inner. Spring pressure numbers have been posted here before at installed height.

This is as good a place to ask this as any:

Steve I've seen you post some pics on Facebook measuring slide spring combos. Can you measure a couple with about .110 taken off the installed height? This is the width of the sonnax spacer and I've not seen any measurements using it (and I don't have a spring rate tester). My train of thought here would be using the spacer in the event I don't have an OE inner spring to use with the transgo spring. And the spacers are cheap. I'd send you one to test but it would literally be the same price to buy you a bag of 10 off eBay and ship it to your address lol.

image.jpg

looks like the rotor broke and took the slide with it. Or did the slide crater and take the rotor?
what psi were you running at full tv?
I can't really tell what slide spring setup is in the pic.
I've done the sonnax slide spring and a stock inner. I've not seen this sonnax spacer. I'll have to check that out and see what it is about.
it was told to me that the ten came hit has a slide that is more "robust" than a stock seven vane slide. Any pix to see the difference?
the converter with the cracked hub, was it checked out for concentricity before install? If the hub was off I would think it could have attributed to this.

great pic! Thanks for sharing

one of my friends had this happen at his last track outing

he said it was slipping so he put it on the trailer. Got it home and a gauge on it and all ot would do was 60psi no matter the tv position. So out it came.

Attachments

• V__E6B2.jpg
    V__E6B2.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 151
  • V__E6B2.jpg
    V__E6B2.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 147
one of my friends had this happen at his last track outing

he said it was slipping so he put it on the trailer. Got it home and a gauge on it and all ot would do was 60psi no matter the tv position. So out it came.

now I remember why I don't come over here. I really wish it worked better.

This is as good a place to ask this as any:

Steve I've seen you post some pics on Facebook measuring slide spring combos. Can you measure a couple with about .110 taken off the installed height? This is the width of the sonnax spacer and I've not seen any measurements using it (and I don't have a spring rate tester). My train of thought here would be using the spacer in the event I don't have an OE inner spring to use with the transgo spring. And the spacers are cheap. I'd send you one to test but it would literally be the same price to buy you a bag of 10 off eBay and ship it to your address lol.

View attachment 312063
I can, you mean you want me to add .110 to the installed height to compensate for the spacer. I've seen some trannys with that installed. Just saw one last Sunday as a matter of fact.

Yeah mostly just curious how the transgo spring with spacer stacks up against the transgo spring with stock inner spring. Loose measurement says it won't coil bind with the spacer but it does start to get in that territory. Think it has an extra .050-.060 or so but didn't measure exact. For $8 shipped for a 10 pack it would beat tracking down stock inner springs if it would work.