Pulling tranny question

Silver Fox

I have a freeze plug on the rear of the block leaking antifreeze. The last time I pulled an automatic tranny out of a car was in 1984, when I had to replace a cracked flex plate on a 1978 Monte Carlo.

How long does it normally take to pull a tranny out? I have access to a lift and transmission jack, so that will make it a bit easier.

How does the TV cable disconnect? Is it a straight forward disconnect/connect from the tranny?

I am open to any and all tips, as I can't recall much from my last tranny pull 23 years ago.

Rob

With a lift and a jack you're set! Just make sure you have a really long extention and swivel for the bellhousing bolts. TV cable has a small bolt where it connects. I found it easer to remove the crossmember and tilt the tranny back to get to the top bellhousing bolts.

It's pretty simple, should take no longer than a half hour with a lift and jack. Pull drive shaft,converter cover, remove converter bolts, remove shift linkage, electrical connector, speedo cable, cooler lines, T.V. cable (remember to unhook cable from throttle linkage), remove cross member, tilt trans down to access bellhousing bolts (use long extension with swivel socket), drop trans. Remember when installing trans to put oil filler tube on during install because you can't get it in once the trans is bolted up.

Let me know if you want a hand:cool: Have had my tranny out before, and have done quite a few in the past, mostly F-bodys.

Let me know if you want a hand:cool: Have had my tranny out before, and have done quite a few in the past, mostly F-bodys.

Thanks Eric. Off topic - I drove my car around Albuquerque today...I think every driver I passed either revved at me or thought he was racing me. I don't think that I will be driving this car too often here!

Do you a know a guy buy the last name of Kicklighter with a GN here? He goes by Kick.

Rob

Mike - here's a funny story for you...my rear main was leaking and I fixed that a few weeks back.

It is because of that I found out the freeze plug was leaking. I got the car home from the shop, parked it and went and looked under it after a few hours. I saw a few drops of fluid under the car so I backed it out of the garage and noticed the drops were antifreeze. With the rear main leaking the antifreeze that was oozing out of the freeze plug was mixing with the oil and I really did not pay that much attention to the oil spots on the floor to notice some anitfreeze mixed in their. You get one thing fixed only to discover another....

This leak is really very, very minor, but I would like to have a clean garage floor...if such a thing is possible with a TR!

Thanks Eric. Off topic - I drove my car around Albuquerque today...I think every driver I passed either revved at me or thought he was racing me. I don't think that I will be driving this car too often here!

Do you a know a guy buy the last name of Kicklighter with a GN here? He goes by Kick.

Rob

Must be the color, it's nearly impossible for me to find anyone who thinks they have a chance:D , but in the vette, no one will leave me alone, everything from riced out civics to LS1 Trans ams rev at me &/or try to race, the vette really stands out, I would be the one pulled over, so I try not to mess around with anyone:frown:

Don't know of Kicklighter?

as a side note, I have a bunch of 3/8" extensions, a 9/16 "wobble", an air ratchet, and a very HD 1/2 impact, it should be real easy to get that transmission out.

hey rob, where in albuquerque do you live? I might be able to lend a hand too.
i know what you mean about everything wanting to race around here, just 'cause they have a fart can out the back "they must be fast". just ask them to race for money and they will go away ;)
how's it goin' eric?
give me an e-mail rob so i could at least look at you car, lee

You guys need to buy some flex head gear wrenches. Best tool for those upper bell housing bolts.

Something people forgot to mention, drain the tranny pan first. Otherwise you're going to have a mess.

Hey Rob, I haven't met you yet. I'm in ABQ and know Eric as well. I just got a new tranny for my car and I'm pulling it out this weekend. Tranny's are easy on the G-bodies, let me know if you need anything. I would be more than willing to give you a hand if needed. Tom

BIGAIR, Hey Lee, it's been a while! Didn't know your user name on the board, we had 4 TR's on Sonic a couple weekends back, (Rob & Randy were two of them, along with the guy who bought Max's GN) It was too short of notice for most to make it out. Going to try again in spring.

Rocket Power, I do have a flex head gearwrench 9/16, it's one of the most used tools in the box, thanks for the reminder, I'll have to bring it

NM Tom, let me know if you want some "supervision" pulling that tranny:eek: , or if you need me to bring some air tools;)

:D :D :D

I have all the tools I need including air. I may need an extra set of hands once all is unbolted to just lower the trans. The last time Sylvan helped me out. I'm geeked about the new trans, I was losing alot with my stocker and the 1-2 flare it had. PM me your number and I will let you know this weekend.

BIGAIR, Hey Lee, it's been a while! Didn't know your user name on the board, we had 4 TR's on Sonic a couple weekends back, (Rob & Randy were two of them, along with the guy who bought Max's GN) It was too short of notice for most to make it out. Going to try again in spring.

Rocket Power, I do have a flex head gearwrench 9/16, it's one of the most used tools in the box, thanks for the reminder, I'll have to bring it

NM Tom, let me know if you want some "supervision" pulling that tranny:eek: , or if you need me to bring some air tools;)

:D :D :D

i think this post has turned into an ABQ reunion. rob, sent you an e-mail. eric, let me know when you all might make it out again, my car is almost dialed in. nmtom, do not know if i have met you, send me an e-mail. sounds like with all the help rob, you won't have to get your hands dirty.:D

Lee

With the Albuquerque buicks on this tread they need to transfer this tread to the southwest section. :)

How you doing Lee? Have not seen you in a while. Talked with Jay and Margo, last week. Jerry & Roger the week before.

Mark had asked me if I got a call to get together with the buick guys, but No :( . Guess since I don't own one anymore I don't rate. LOL Guess when I get the vette done I will have to come down and pick on the Buicks. If I lose I guess I will need to get my MOM's car. She will have a Buick motor thou.

I kidding aside if you guys would like to get together I can offer my office on sundays. Has a restroom, 2 doors down from dairy queen, or we can even setup a grill.

Hope all you guys are doing good.

Chuck

Hey Chuck! I was callling/emailing to try and get some TR's together just for a small get together a few weeks ago to meet up with the new guy. Sorry for not letting you know. It would be awesome to have a get together at your office again. We'll have to wait until Mark is finished with the "mutant" and see if Johnny ever has his running again.:eek: Not really sure if I'm going to get my GN out any time soon, the tranny has decided to puke all over the garage, don't know where it's leaking from, may just go park it and get the topless car out!

How's the vette coming!?!?

......................and yeah, if any mods are seeing this thread, go ahead and move this to SW section:D

Took the T in for an alignment today...found out I have worn upper control arm bushings (worse on the driver's side?) and my lower ball joints are also worn. I thought the steering was getting a little vague.

I am ordering the stage 2 suspension kit with adjustable upper control arms and tall ball joints from SCandC tomorrow. I guess I will finally throw on my Baer brakes as long I have the front end apart.

Eric - I still need to get with you about some tuning...I can't track down my high BLM 136-140ish. As normal, I am heading out of town for work again, so perhaps in April I'll be around a few weekends and we can get together.

I guess we should really move this thread...

Rob

Eric,

Mark should be able to have the MUTANT ready to go anytime as far as I know. I think he might be swapping out injectors, ed had the 65lbs and I think mark is going back to 50lbs. I hate the 65lbs but other than that he should it should be up and running. Now for johnny, I think it's going to be a while as he just bought the mansion and I think he'll be strap for money until he wins the lotto.

The vette ready for denver, I have been trying find a nice deal on an enclosed trailer or find one I can borrow to take it to denver to finish it up mostly. Know anyone selling one?

The 63 impala is coming along good to. Getting frame back today and I have the air ride suspension & 9" here already so I will probably being putting the chasis together this weekend. The engine is at TA Performance. Getting stroker kit, ta heads, and roller cam. Did I mention we are adding the 6pack nos setup too :eek: . I might even keep up with the vette :D .

When you deciede to do a get together let me know and I can give you a hand if you want.

If anyone is interested I have a set on front mark lights and a stock d5 convertor with less the 4000 miles for real cheap.

Chuck

I am ordering the stage 2 suspension kit with adjustable upper control arms and tall ball joints from SCandC tomorrow. I guess I will finally throw on my Baer brakes as long I have the front end apart.

Rob

First Hi Rob,

I have owned a few GNs in the past, had one on and off again since 1987. I see your buying adjustable contol arms, are you setting yours up for roadracing? Have you consider Global West arms and bushings. They have a very good reputation. Baer brakes should look nice on a Gn and I am sure it will stop a little better too. Do you Baer brakes for all 4 corners or just up front?
Next time you guys get together I'll have to come down and meet all the new guys (not sure how many new guys there are). Then again maybe I meet you and just don't remember, I am getting older. LOL I do remember meeting someone at the track last year with a silver T, if I remember right it was a father and son that knew johnny. If it's you sorry I don't remember for sure.

Chuck