Pulling the Engine

Dustin27987

Is there a checklist that anyone has put together for removing the engine of an 87' Buck T-type? Just want to make sure its ready to come out when the time comes.

For me - I had no problem taking the engine out or putting it back in with the hood open in the normal position.

For me - I had no problem taking the engine out or putting it back in with the hood open in the normal position.

Did you disconnect the hood shocks and prop up the hood higher? Did you take out the rad, and cooling fan?

Did you disconnect the hood shocks and prop up the hood higher? Did you take out the rad, and cooling fan?

i disconnect the hood shocks-------i raise the hood and tie it in position with a rope attached to the hood latch and run to the back of the car------i run it under the rear of the car and tie it to the rear sway bar------ that way i don't have to worry about bumping the prop and having the hood fall-----i never touch the radiator and i always pull the tranny out with the engine------for me its faster to pull it out with the engine instead of disconnecting it in a car and supporting it-------never have alignment problems------pull two bolts on the rear support and remove the drive shaft and disconnect the shift cables...........RC

Don't push the hood back to far you could crack the windshield.

Trans: I put two long bolts in the bell housing on each side with a bar going from one frame rail to the other so the trans doesn't drop. That way you don't have a jack just sitting there supporting the trans. ;)

I unbolted the transmission, accessories, and exhaust then pulled the engine. I did not take off the hood shocks or remove the radiator or fan. This worked for me but do what you think is best for you. If you are pulling the transmission with the engine then the hood probably needs to be moved out of the way. I don't think you need to pull the radiator though.

ziplock bags, sharpie, zip ties. Label all nuts and bolts in the bags and zip tie wires, etc out of the way.

Pulling the motor out with the trans attached will save you a few bloody nuckles and head aches. Its much easier to split them when they are out of the car.

However, all the pulled motors i've seen, the "pullers" left the trans in. Some guys have it down to a science! I wonder what the record time is? :p

Pulling the motor out with the trans attached will save you a few bloody nuckles and head aches. Its much easier to split them when they are out of the car.

However, all the pulled motors i've seen, the "pullers" left the trans in. Some guys have it down to a science! I wonder what the record time is? :p

3.5 hrs for me with trans in car :biggrin:

theres guys around here that do it in under 2 hours!!! and their names are not luke or obi either!!! :-D

i generally get the engine/tranny combo out in hour forty five minutes to two hours -------do probably one every couple weeks-------got all the tools i need right next to the lift and use a giant A-frame with a chain hoist to lift it out-------the A frame is tall enough to lift the engine with the car raised off the floor enough to also get under the car-------really makes it easy...........RC

Since this is on topic, when installing the motor & trans together with a normal hoist, do most people raise the back end of the car some to get a straighter shot at the tranny tunnel?

Since this is on topic, when installing the motor & trans together with a normal hoist, do most people raise the back end of the car some to get a straighter shot at the tranny tunnel?

no-------pick the engine up with both center exhaust studs and it will tip 15 degrees down in the back-------just about perfect and just a light pull and you can move it even more...................RC

Where is the proper place to attach the engine hoist for pulling the engine? I'm thinking that i will pull the engine and tranny as one unit. This will be my first time pulling the engine in my 87' T-type so if anyone has anymore tips they would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Fellow Turbo Buick owner

Where is the proper place to attach the engine hoist for pulling the engine? I'm thinking that i will pull the engine and tranny as one unit. This will be my first time pulling the engine in my 87' T-type so if anyone has anymore tips they would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Fellow Turbo Buick owner

Engine only, use the factory bracket on intake & back header stud on opposite side. Basically 1 front corner & 1 back corner.