Pulling heads with studs

TurboMonteSS

Stupid question, but my car has studs instead of bolts. If I blow a head gasket, can the heads be taken off while the motor is in the car? A guy told me the heads will hit the firewall when I try to remove them and I have to pull the motor to change a head gasket. Don't think his advice is right, but need to know. The motor was rebuilt a few years ago and studs were used. Thanks for your help.

I have taken my heads off with the motor still in the car with studs. You will have to double nut them to pull the stud out on the passenger side.

Head studs

Just as Rob said and driver side should come off over the studs.

Steve

Thanks Rob, I am at an age now (57) when I really don't like getting under cars anymore. Too lazy, fat and can't see as well!

Originally posted by TurboMonteSS
Thanks Rob, I am at an age now (57) when I really don't like getting under cars anymore. Too lazy, fat and can't see as well!
I totally understand that. I'm getting to lazy myself here anymore at 32.:p :D

Originally posted by rob nolan
I have taken my heads off with the motor still in the car with studs. You will have to double nut them to pull the stud out on the passenger side.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is meant by 'double nut'? I have head studs too and am just curious, it would be nice to be able to do HG while motor was still in the car.

Unless you have some old studs no need to double nut...newer studs have hex cut into the end....just use hex wrench to remove

Or you can use a SBC rocker arm polylock for rocker arms. Goes right on set the allen down and turn the stud out.