Pull motor to change head gaskets?

pontiac69fb

Looks like I'm going to need new head gaskets the car has 94k and it'll be my first time doing this. Should I pull the motor and check everything out, or should I attempt to change the head gaskets with the motor in the car? I have found a write-up on gnttype.org for pulling the motor. I can't find a write-up on changing the head gaskets in the car can anyone help me out?

I'd pull it. That way you can clean it up really thoroughly and have an easier time changing the gaskets. It really comes down to how comfortable you are pulling it yourself for the first time.

Just had my headgaskets done with motor on stand. You can put new motor mounts and rear main seal just to name a couple of things. Much easier to overall check everything out.

Probably one of the easiest motors I've ever pulled. Did it twice, and it is probably easier to do it that way than to change the gaskets in the car. I just like to be able to inspect bearings, gaskets, etc. anytime I have a major service to do on the car. You'll have a great opportunity to clean the motor and engine compartment while its out. Don't be scared, and good luck. Rudy.

What antifreeze did you use is my first question. If it's the old style green then you need to pull it and have it cleaned throughly. The old stuff has silicone in it and it will eat the bearings. Do not run the engine any more until you have the crank bearings checked. Hopefully you haven't done any major damage.

I couldn't imagine doing the head gaskets with the motor in the car. My back hurts just thinking about it....:D

I'm on the side of pulling it, because if something happened to blow the HG, I'd want to check the bottom-end as well. Never hurts to pull it and inspect it, at the very least you'll have peace of mind.

I will pull the motor thank you guys for the advice, I never knew that's how it was usually done.

I never did know "that's how it was usually done" either?:confused:

In the hundreds of turbo head gaskets I have done over many years, I can change them in less than 1/2 the time in the car over pulling the engine. :)

Guess the younger generation is turning into a bunch of wimps! :biggrin:

no to fast nick,the gaskets i have changed have all been in the car;)but i have never compared which way is faster.

What antifreeze did you use is my first question. If it's the old style green then you need to pull it and have it cleaned throughly. The old stuff has silicone in it and it will eat the bearings. Do not run the engine any more until you have the crank bearings checked. Hopefully you haven't done any major damage.

I used the older traditional style. Hopefully the bearings and the bottom end are ok, guess that's why I should pull it to make sure.

I used the older traditional style. Hopefully the bearings and the bottom end are ok, guess that's why I should pull it to make sure.

The older antifreeze has microscopic (silica) particles in it which was supposed to reduce corrosion issues, but if you blow a head gasket or have an internal water leak the particles will end up in the oil and eat the bearings up. That's why I say pull it. If it was one of the newer antifreezes then I'd say leave it in and pull them. The new stuff donesn't have the same content so it won't damage the bearings.

Have seen more than one engine damaged from the old antifreeze over the years and the repair is more expensive if you don't take it apart to clean everything and check it.

I just went though this , I should have pulled the engine! It is a major pain in the neck ( I still have a lower opinion of it) :eek:.

The heads them self are not that bad , It's getting to them ,that is the pain. Your under the car to disconnect the crossover pipe, leaning over the fenders , rough on the back! I pulled the heads with the headers on and reinstall the heads with them off , with the down pipe in place , going though the wheel well to get at some of the bolts , etc.

Plus the block in mine is a 1979 , It does not use torque to yield bolts and is torque to 80# , that is fun to do in car.

I'm in the middle of this right now. I'm doing them in the car. Certainly doable, but access to some of the head bolts/studs is not that great. If you blew your head gasket and graphite got into the oil, you'll need to pull the oil pan too.

Honestly, if I ever do this again, I'm pulling the engine. If for no other reason, having complete, unobstructed access to everything will probably result in a better quality job.

Good Luck,

In the hundreds of turbo head gaskets I have done over many years, I can change them in less than 1/2 the time in the car over pulling the engine. :)

:

Is that without a lift Nick??

I have done a few both ways and pulling the motor is the better way in most cases for guys that don't do this for a living in a shop...

Is that without a lift Nick??

I have done a few both ways and pulling the motor is the better way in most cases for guys that don't do this for a living in a shop.....

Most I do are w/o the lift.

The ones I changed last week were on the ground, as the lift was occupied. The job was done in 8 hours.

Remove the engine, change head gaskets, install the engine and get it running in one 8 hour shift by yourself is EXTREMELY difficult, if not impossible, and I personally do not know anyone that can do it? :confused:

If the oil pan has to be R&R, add one hour.