Puffs white smoke every time i start my car..?

spoolingup

i heard that it might be the turbo, i bought a brand new pt67mm from precision, non bb , and thought it was that, so i sent my turbo back to them, and about a month later , they sent it back to me an said it was fine, but every time i start my car , i get 2 big white puffs of smoke out the exhaust, only on the start up.....???? any thoughts please..., i should of prolly bought a turbonetics turbo huh....

Precision makes good turbo's....you just might have a different issue.
If the turbo seals checked out good, then you might have a problem with rings or valve train....a proper leak down test might point you in the right direction.

yeah, i hope its not that cos the motor was done by my uncle and i, from soup to nuts about 2000 miles ago, so honestly dont think its that but you never know.., and also i dont remember having this issue with the .60 i had on there before, just started happening ever since i put that turbo on, so.........? prolly should jus do it anyway..

white smoke would lead me to believe it is coolant burning. maybe the puffs are 2 different cylinders that have some coolant weeping into them overnight?

could be.. but everytime i start it it blows out, wouldnt that evaporate the first time i started it?? i could shut it off an turn it on, 5 min apsrt from eachother an everytime, it also smells like oil..

Are you sure the smoke isn't grayish. I recently had a similiar problem with a new turbo and the seals checked out fine but the oil restrictor had to big of a hole. It puffed a little on start like your problem and had a distinct nasty smell to it. Gotta smaller diameter restrictor and the problem was solved.

Mine used to do that, it was the exhaust valves. I guess from the factory they didn't get valve guides. Mine were pretty wore out. I had the heads freshened over the winter with new exhaust valves and valve guides installed.

Is this on a new turbo or old??????

New turbo and rebuild on a friends car. Puffs smoke on start up after about 20 minutes of sitting.. we have done everything.. All was new and we went and put a new intake gasket, then even changed out the roller rockers. There is a aftermarket oil feed line to the turbo that I am wondering may be too big. Anyone car to elaborate on that diagnosis for me?

New turbo and rebuild on a friends car. Puffs smoke on start up after about 20 minutes of sitting.. we have done everything.. All was new and we went and put a new intake gasket, then even changed out the roller rockers. There is a aftermarket oil feed line to the turbo that I am wondering may be too big. Anyone car to elaborate on that diagnosis for me?

I'm having EXACTLY the same problem. Everything checked but the intake gaskets.

The restricted fitting is between the turbo and oil feed line. It's a factory installed piece that limits oil to the bearing.

Other places oil could come from, pcv circuit, valve seals or past the rings.

What do the spark plugs look like?

I dropped the oil feed from a #6 to a #4 and it all went away.
Even though it has a metered restrictor the line change was the fix.
Make sure there are no restrictions in the return line also. No kinks.

Are you or your uncle experienced with rebuilding these Buick turbo 6's?

When you rebuilt the engine, I assume you resurfaced the heads a little. If you did this, it causes the fit with the intake to be a little bit off, so experienced TB6 engine builders will also take a little off the intake to allow it to fit correctly on the heads and keep the intake gaskets from leaking.
Just a hunch...

Are you or your dad experienced with rebuilding this Buick turbo 6's?

Valve stem seals are my guess. Seen it a dozen times, only on start up. Easy enought to swap out. No harder then doing springs.

I just got my turbo back from Wes @ PTE. I smoked from day one after the rebuild. I got 500 miles on it and it went. He fixed it for me and sent it back. Got some contamination in it, so I got a filter to plumb in line to stop debris. Also got rid of the 24 year old feed line.

:biggrin:

The restricted fitting is between the turbo and oil feed line. It's a factory installed piece that limits oil to the bearing.

Other places oil could come from, pcv circuit, valve seals or past the rings.

What do the spark plugs look like?

I didnt look at the plugs.. the car is 1 hr away. I got a feeling they changed the 90 on top of the turbo and didnt use one w a restricter or the feed line is too big. All else has checked out.

Just to reiterate what a few others have stated above, I had the same issue with a fresh rebuild. It would only smoke on start up, not a hint of smoke any other time. I checked everything from vacuum leaks, to valve seals, PCV, gaskets, everything. Thought maybe my rings didn't seat. Then someone suggested it may be too much oil feeding the turbo. The 90* I was using on the TE44 had no restriction; I changed back to the stock oil feed line and 90, problem solved! It's great when the solution is simple.