PTE SLIC up pipe hitting hood pad!

I was not impressed when I installed mine either.:mad: I elongated the holes in the brackets more and slid the intercooler down a little. I then took the up pipe to a fab shop and cut about 1/2 inch off where it goes into the intercooler and had them roll the bead after the cut and all is well. If you decide to go the 2 1/2 up pipe route you will have to use a longer hose from the up pipe to the throttle plate ( I believe 5 inches) I also took the frame brace off on the passenger side and had the same shop bend it to clear the lower intercooler. I think It is a great intercooler however like all performance mods it needs a tweaking. :rolleyes:

Just a thought...As many of these that have been sold I seems the PTE is aware of the issue and has done nothing to correct it. These intercooler have been on the market for years. So I ask the question WTF Harry??????? These hood pads are obsolete and we accept that it is ok for a $1 intercooler pipe to rub on it?

Forgive my ignorance, but, could the intercooler be angled(move bottom toward the front) to decrease the overall height?

Forgive my ignorance, but, could the intercooler be angled(move bottom toward the front) to decrease the overall height?
Good question. IMO . . . That is not the right fix as the shroud would interfere with dual fan setup, the top motor side of the ic would rub on the ic fan, and the bottom front would rub on he swaybar.
There just isn't a lot of room and the fix is still a good uppipe IMO. lol

Good question. IMO . . . That is not the right fix as the shroud would interfere with dual fan setup, the top motor side of the ic would rub on the ic fan, and the bottom front would rub on he swaybar.
There just isn't a lot of room and the fix is still a good uppipe IMO. lol
Shroud is on the fans....stock fans

Steve, Do you still have the plastic crank fan still on? I've been considering removing mine...all it takes it one tire gator/animal and the intercooler will get pushed into the fan and toasted.

Steve, Do you still have the plastic crank fan still on? I've been considering removing mine...all it takes it one tire gator/animal and the intercooler will get pushed into the fan and toasted.
I have not put it back on, don't think I am going to. Although it's got plenty of clearence.

I have not put it back on, don't think I am going to. Although it's got plenty of clearence.
F#CK the fan,Those have put holes and gouges in many intercoolers.Afriend of mine had a blade come off and put a good hole in a nice hoodliner.

Steve, I have followed this exchange with great curiosity and interest. I appreciate the fact that you are reaching out to others, and read with interest comments that were staying grounded towards solutions, as I do not like to compromise at the expense of another significant component of the car. I support your voiced frustration that a $1K inter-cooler and matching ducting could continue in so many instances, unless they assume everyone is going to compromise. Very seldom do I argue past the point of a manufacturer telling me I have to accept it...or else. I vote with my wallet, and offer a request to them regarding putting their talents towards a solution (just tell me the price to fix it Mr Manufacturer). Otherwise there is plan B. Then my money goes in that direction. You can have all the specs in the world to substantiate the awesomeness of something, but if 90% of driving your GN requires that the hood pad is chewed up, my ride is going to be miserable. Perhaps I speak for my brother....but I defer to you. You are obviously driven by an end-goal that relies very heavily on quality, and I applaud the fact that others have contributed opinions, and methods tried for their solution. I continue to watch this with interest.

Steve, I have followed this exchange with great curiosity and interest. I appreciate the fact that you are reaching out to others, and read with interest comments that were staying grounded towards solutions, as I do not like to compromise at the expense of another significant component of the car. I support your voiced frustration that a $1K inter-cooler and matching ducting could continue in so many instances, unless they assume everyone is going to compromise. Very seldom do I argue past the point of a manufacturer telling me I have to accept it...or else. I vote with my wallet, and offer a request to them regarding putting their talents towards a solution (just tell me the price to fix it Mr Manufacturer). Otherwise there is plan B. Then my money goes in that direction. You can have all the specs in the world to substantiate the awesomeness of something, but if 90% of driving your GN requires that the hood pad is chewed up, my ride is going to be miserable. Perhaps I speak for my brother....but I defer to you. You are obviously driven by an end-goal that relies very heavily on quality, and I applaud the fact that others have contributed opinions, and methods tried for their solution. I continue to watch this with interest.
Mike Licht from Full Throttle says this is infact not a common occurance if you consider the number of intercoolers that have been sold by PTE. Here's a copy of our emails. They are bottom oldest, newest on top.

RE: PTE SLIC
Monday, March 2, 2015 12:37 PM
Mark as Unread
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 12:17 PM
To: Mike Licht
Subject: RE: PTE SLIC

-------- Original message --------
Date:03/02/2015 10:22 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Steve Vaillancourt
When you consider the number of units sold this is not a problem with most cars. I understand and respect your decision. The poly mounts should help some. The powerplate will not. There really is no other option that gives the performance other than a front mount. For a car like you're a custom up pipe built to fit the car would be the best solution if you want a good stock location intercooler. The GN1 unit won't hit the hood but also won't give anywhere near the performance. If we can help let us know
Mike

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 10:19 AM

Mike,

This is a frame off restoration, big thread in VA area under my name Steve V.

Poly body bushings.....Stock rubber mounts(kirban)...RJC power plate.....

Lots of people with same issue in tech area.

I know one thing. I will not buy one for my personal car. I will advise all future customers who want to go this route and let them decide.

Thanks for your help.

Steve
--------------------------------------------
On Mon, 3/2/15, Mike Licht <mike@fullthrottlespeed.com> wrote:

To: "Steve Vaillancourt" <sasybit@ymail.com>
Date: Monday, March 2, 2015, 9:40 AM

I would not call it
common in fact most cars don't do this. Some do however, if you have an aftermarket plenum or spacer they are taller which makes them close, sagging body bushings do the same, aftermarket motor mounts typically raise the motor up. All of these things can cause this problem. You can shorten the pipe on the intercooler end however sometimes when you do this you have to make the throttle body end longer depending on the cut, or a longer hose will sometimes work.
Mike

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 7:56 AM
Subject: PTE
SLIC

Hello Mike,

I have ran into a snag with
this intercooler. The up pipe hits the hood pad. I have a thread on the forum and it seems this is common and we as a community have just accepted it and PTE has not redesigned the pipe.

Can you provide
and insight on this issue?

Thanks Steve
V

hello people; On one of these posts I'm seeing a white block covering the post but with me my up pipe hits the hoodliner a bit and is making a home there.
I also believe the IC manufacturer knows the issue and has done nothing to help as far as I know.
IBBY

I think a simple solution to this would be to offer a 2.5in up pipe with a step down hose from the intercooler to up pipe. Then you have the option to use 2.5 or 3in when you buy the intercooler. The only way to fix this is to have the intake/plenum lower but we are adding to the height with spacers, plates and taller plenums.

fact hood pad here its rubbed since day 1 .. pretty much ruined my stock hoodliner

Glad to see we 'stirred the coals' a bit and the insightful comments. Thank you Steve and others who are contributing...you may set a precedence if a solution is derived thru this focused brainstorming. There are some awesome machinist out there just ready to launch out the gate.
Just had a thought.....I will almost guarantee you that Kevin with Auto Muffler King in Newport News would have valuable input. He is one of the best fabricators around here. This is NOT an advertisement, but a Family business handed down thru 3 generations. Mandrel benders galore. There is nothing he cannot weld, builds custom jigs for even the GN driver side header fix......For what it is worth I can talk to him, and show him a detailed pic. He is the one who did the system on that car. He fabricates chassis, motorcycle builder that is well known, and many custom and race car owners have come to him for custom headers and solutions. Built an awesome roll cage for my son's race car couple of years ago.

Glad to see we 'stirred the coals' a bit and the insightful comments. Thank you Steve and others who are contributing...you may set a precedence if a solution is derived thru this focused brainstorming. There are some awesome machinist out there just ready to launch out the gate.
Just had a thought.....I will almost guarantee you that Kevin with Auto Muffler King in Newport News would have valuable input. He is one of the best fabricators around here. This is NOT an advertisement, but a Family business handed down thru 3 generations. Mandrel benders galore. There is nothing he cannot weld, builds custom jigs for even the GN driver side header fix......For what it is worth I can talk to him, and show him a detailed pic. He is the one who did the system on that car. He fabricates chassis, motorcycle builder that is well known, and many custom and race car owners have come to him for custom headers and solutions. Built an awesome roll cage for my son's race car couple of years ago.
When we tow it to my work for final things after I am done with it, we should take the car to Kevin and see what he thinks.

Thank you for your support and taking in all possibilities. Your build is much too important to let this just ride. I may be able to provide him (Kevin) some visual insight thru the pics I snapped, and considering taking part of the video to him, but I bet m3xico has a better angle/view. Kevin is straight up with regards to sharing a ray of hope when one exists. He is also very realistic, but substantiates his caveats. I appreciate your support and willingness towards the discussion of an alternative fix. I would be thrilled if it offered some resolve for others that are experiencing this as well. I also know when to say when.