PTE SLIC Install--mine sits too high

GoldHawg

I tried mounting my PTE Slic yesterday and it ended up being about an inch above the Compressor exit. Tonite I took the bracket off that mounts to the water pump on the left, and expanded the hole size to drop the passenger side down. Only able to get it down about 1/2-3/4" above the compressor exits. I'm thinking I may need to make my own bracket on the brake, but the bar that it mounts on the driver side doesn't really give much to adjust, and I'd like it to sit level. For those that have installed these I/Cs, does this problem sound familiar? Any tips that people have done to line things up? Or is this close enough with the rubber connectors?

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpeg
    IMG_4263.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4262.jpeg
    IMG_4262.jpeg
    321.1 KB · Views: 106
Getting them to line up can be a frustrating adventure of drilling new holes and shimming.

Once they're close enough, get a hump coupler to take up the misalignment.

Thanks...three youtube videos later the phrase "clock the turbo" now makes sense and I'll try this hopefully later today. I appreciate the input.

As mentioned , clock the turbo to get it as close as you are able.
I ended up going with an offset silicone hose coupler to make up the difference with my PTE SLIC install.

Here’s a pic, believe you can get these in a shorter version too which I ended up finding fit the best

Last edited:
Here’s a pic of the short offset reducer cplg installed

Attachments

• BB9A403D-4BE0-452A-9373-B58E544F1356.jpeg
    BB9A403D-4BE0-452A-9373-B58E544F1356.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 85
As mentioned , clock the turbo to get it as close as you are able.
I ended up going with an offset silicone hose coupler to make up the difference with my PTE SLIC install.

Here’s a pic, believe you can get these in a shorter version too which I ended up finding fit the best

Dave...great post. Dan and I installed a few turbos and had a few out of whack with the stock location SLICS, including mine when I ran one...but nothing to this degree. Again...thanks for posting this. May come in handy for one or more of the lads in the future.

I had one that the header had sagged, due in part to no block support brace.
I had to pie cut the manifold to get it up close enuf to connect.

Clocking the turbo got me close; I could probably make the stock hose work but will probably use the offset hose when it comes in.

Attachments

• IMG_4267.jpeg
    IMG_4267.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 86
If it still fights you, you can keep all bolts loose (turbo, SLIC, hoses) until you get it oriented where you want it and tighten everything up beginning with the hoses. The pic you originally posted is pretty much identical to how mine wound up when installing a PTE 6776 / SLIC on my '86 GN (10 1/2 years ago. Geez!!). I fought it for some time, made phone calls to bweavy, read countless posts but in the end doing it this way got it pretty close to perfect, alignment-wise. I had to remove the turbo after the install to have it ported and did it that way during the reinstall and it went right in and everything lined back up.

From the looks of the picture the IC is farther away from the engine at the top than it is at the bottom and not straight up and down. That is your problem. Once you get the IC to sit straight up and down it will line up.

You can clock the turbo all you want. The turbo outlet and IC inlet will never line up straight. The top of the intercooler is tipping towards the radiator because it is mounted incorrectly. That's why the IC inlet is pointing upward. A staggered hose is not the right way to fix the issue either.

From the looks of the picture the IC is farther away from the engine at the top than it is at the bottom and not straight up and down. That is your problem. Once you get the IC to sit straight up and down it will line up.
You're right about the way the picture looks; if you rotate it up like you say, that's where the arc leads it well above the turbo; remember the middle is fixed and you can't really mount it differently. So that is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. Nevertheless I got the new offset connector today and I think I've got everything set up in a way that works. Thanks again to all for your counsel; I left the bolts loose, put the hoses on, locked down then tightened down the bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_4273.jpeg
    IMG_4273.jpeg
    417.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4272.jpeg
    IMG_4272.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 48
You can clock the turbo all you want. The turbo outlet and IC inlet will never line up straight. The top of the intercooler is tipping towards the radiator because it is mounted incorrectly. That's why the IC inlet is pointing upward. A staggered hose is not the right way to fix the issue either.
Clocking the turbo and getting a longer hose is what he should try first.
aligning the intercooler properly would be ideal but would require making a bracket.
It's tough to see from the pics to me but worse case scenario we just line it up and make brackets for them.
Offset hoses to me aren't the way to go.....
But others on this thread have used them.

Looks a lot better now than the picture in post #12. Glad you got it to work