PTE SLIC up pipe hitting hood pad!

Steve V

Steve V's Automotive 757 560 2782
New rubber mounts on correct sides. Intercooler as low as it will go. I think I read about this before. I have the pipe pushed in the coupler as far as it will go. Anyone?

Maybe its the pad rubbing the pipe and not the other way around lol....

I have an aftermarket hoodpad that sits tight up on the hood with new pins and it doesn't rub.

Maybe its the pad rubbing the pipe and not the other way around lol....

I have an aftermarket hoodpad that sits tight up on the hood with new pins and it doesn't rub.
PTE has their own up pipe that's bigger than the stocker. No issue with stock stuff. Pad is intact not drooping.

I think they all rub from the ones I have seen.Have never heard of a fix for it.

X2
As far as I know, all the PTE SLIC 3" up pipes rub the hood pad.....I know mine does.
If you go back to a stock 2 1/2" up pipe, I'm sure your troubles will be behind you.

Personally, I don't think the diameter is the main issue. Contributing factor, but not the main issue. The main problem is probably the angle of the bend. The 1/4" radius increase just will not make enough difference.
Case and point: My car has a 1/2" spacer + PP, 28 year old bushings, 3" up pipe and it does not rub.

This car has new poly bushings, stock rubber mounts so yep nature of the beast.

Does the vacuum block touch? that should be the highest point...

HR Parts N Stuff Poly motor mounts could also come into play here. I've got them in my car that also has RJC's Power Plate & in addition to the up pipe rubbing the hood pad the top of the 2 bolts holding the vacuum block on top of the throttle body also leave evidence of slight depressions at these two spots on the hood pad too. The new body bushings I installed may also be a contributing factor here, although the above was evident before I changed them out too.
"Just saying"

I have a 1" champion spacer and a 3" up pipe "V2 fm" and only the vac block leaves an impression..

My car has DS H&R, and aluminum vacuum block.
Vacuum block is in fact the highest point, at that point of the hood, but the hood is sloped.
Possibly, the angle of the up pipe was set to facilitate a larger turbo inlet, with less concern about hood pad rubbing.
The lesser of the two evils in PTE's mind. LOL

Edit:
IMO, at the time of this post, the pipe is MUCH easier to replace than the hood pad.
Should have a custom/oval up pipe with round ends.

After many years and various changes one thing has remained constant - the up pipe touches the hood pad. Original and replacement hood pad, didn't matter. My aftermarket billet vacuum block nor the original vacuum block touch the pad. Have HR mounts on both sides. Bigger problem has always been the road rash on the lower scoop! Doubt you will change the hood pad situation without removing the pad.

HR Parts N Stuff Poly motor mounts could also come into play here. I've got them in my car that also has RJC's Power Plate & in addition to the up pipe rubbing the hood pad the top of the 2 bolts holding the vacuum block on top of the throttle body also leave evidence of slight depressions at these two spots on the hood pad too. The new body bushings I installed may also be a contributing factor here, although the above was evident before I changed them out too.
"Just saying"
I use rubber engine mounts.

Mine rubbed with stock mounts and HR mounts. I had a extra pipe and cut it down but didn't help. No matter what I did if I wanted the pipe to line up center with throttle body it rubbed. Just decided to live with it.

PTE has their own up pipe that's bigger than the stocker. No issue with stock stuff. Pad is intact not drooping.

Yup its not in my signature but I too have the PTE SLIC...thinner liner and it doesn't rub...atleast I haven't noticed it like I did when I had a stock pad on it.