PTE 46MM Wastegate Spring pressure ?

jmendlik

any issues with running the 18 + 1.5 springs to get 19.5 lb boost on the gate without any boost controller.?..just have it run all in at this boost on the street on E85...will this method cause boost spikes or spool up issues?? I'm running a PTE DBB turbo? Will this result in backpressure issues?

If I add a Electronic controller later on will it be able to get me to 23-25 lbs against this (High) spring pressure in the gate?

Last edited:
I run a Boost leash with CO2 . The CO2 takes the springs place basically . So I would use the co2 to pin the valve down instead of a spring . So if you had 10psi of co2 on the top of the gate that would be like a 10lbs spring . That’s why co2 is the best to control Boost becuse you can run super low Boost then at the same. Time you can run super high Boost .

Thanks for responding--I do understand I think..LOL ..However I was just looking to see if I could just run a spring combo of (18+1.5) to get me 19.5 PSI boost and not even need the Electronic controller....

I would be "Set" then at only this amount and no less. Was just wondering if this would have any issues like boost spike or creep in other gears.

I was not looking to run monster boost ( 30lbs+) and nor looking to run C02...Just wanted totry this out if it was feasable...but after the video maybe not a good idea.

Last edited:
Okay if you watched the videos you can usually double the wastegate spring . So a 10lbs springs would give you around 20psi max with a manual boost controller . But you gotta look at Low Boost aswell you don’t want to put a 18lbs spring in there you would never have traction plus it’s harder to control a heavier spring I would put in a 10-12lb spring if you are trying to achieve 20lbs .

That’s a great controller . I had one and it worked great. How do you have the solenoid hooked up? Have you tried to dial it in when in Boost ? Next time u are in Boost start to up the setpoint or duty cycle . If you do that then I think you will get where u wana be as far as Boost .

sent you PM..

Have it hooked up like this--my SP is at 40 and GP is at 3 SN=20--i get a boost spike to 22lbs immediately and then settles to 17lbs boost. Trying to get rid of this spike..

Have not tried to drive and turn up SP value while in boost-too much going on!

Capture.PNG

My eboost is dead nuts solid and no spike. Why do you have your GP at 3? Put it 3 psi under what your target boost is.

Put SN at 40, lower SP to 25, GP to 14. What's your over boost shutdown set at?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OBS at 25...The tech at Turbosmart told me to use default GP at 3 to try and control the boost spike-it was at 10

as for the SN number the manual states to not ecxeed 30 on SN:

12) Setting SN1 (Sensitivity):
The sensitivity is how sensitive the e
-
Boost is to changes in the boost curve.
Under normal circumstances the sensitivity is left at the factory set level of 20. If your
boost curve is wavy through the rev range, reduce
the sensitivity, if your boost curve drops off at the end of the rev range, increase the sensitivity

Note:
do not increase this value higher
than 30.

Try 30 then.. I'm wondering if your GP is to high and the boost is falling off. You have a data log so i can see what it's doing

with SP of 40 I get 17.5 boost now....if i lower SP to 25 I will get less boost-like back to spring pressure only in gate which is (12 lb) springs..from SP20-SP30 I get vert little boost increase if any..

no logs. computer issues...will try again in the morning...

when I put the GP to -3 under the target 17.5 ( GP14) I got more of a boost spike and greater overall boost also..something is not right....

Last edited:
Sounds like a wastegate plumbing issue. Let we some pics How You have this setup

No, is it on the header or downpipe

thumbnail.jpeg PTE 46mm Gate on Pass Header=TA SS Race headers.. THDP 3"

sorry-here are a couple logs
PLX Wideband
FPSI is logging backpressure
SD2 120 lb injectors, E85

log 007 has SP40 GP10 SN20
log 006 has SP35 GP14 SN20

Cant figure this spike out

Attachments

• QuickSave.006.dat
    165.3 KB · Views: 66
  • QuickSave.007.dat
    288.8 KB · Views: 57
how far is the solenoid away from the wastegate? i would really try the SN to 30.. also how far is the controller away from its pressure source?