PTC NL Test Drive

hemi8

Goin Sideways
After installing the new TV cable seal in the trans this morning I took it out for a spin. At first it was shifting too soon and everything was mushy/lame. Brought it back home and pulled the TV cable back towards the fire wall 1 click and that brought it back to how it was with the Precision 9.5" Vigilante LU I had in the car before doing the PTC install. To keep the TV adjustment I installed the Sonnex magic spring, which will work until I am bored enough to pull the valvebody and shim the TV valve. So I'm taking things easy making sure, with a couple of rodside pit stops to verify no leaks and everything looked good. I also just installed a new Pypes exhaust system with the new no-drone Dynamax VT mufflers. So being the hot rodder that I am I decided it would be a good idea for me to give the GN a half-throttle goose to be sure all systems are go and holy crap, the car has changed personalities. Before I could say Jesus the car was sideways and the tires were lit-up bellowing smoke, I was damn lucky I didn't put it in a ditch, caught me off guard, the car screams like hell with this converter! Thanks Dusty, thanks PTC, love the converter and the new exhaust is nice and quiet under normal driving. I did have the Hooker system on the car previously, it had been on for 16 years and was just to loud for my liking (getting old).
Mike

Another 16 years when you're older yet you won't be able to hear it and have to put the hooker back on :p. I ordered my PTC about 2 weeks and can't wait for it to get here. I hope my experience matches yours.

there really is nothing like it, loose down low, tigh up top with lockup drivability.

I've been studying the TV plunger position importance since the install, I have connected a TCI transmission pressure gauge and will evaluate it tonight. I have a feeling the spring is too short, so once that is properly sorted I'll see what is does for automatic shifting at WOT. If the rpm is too low I thinking a switch from the BRF to a KC valvebody may be in order.

After installing the new TV cable seal in the trans this morning I took it out for a spin. At first it was shifting too soon and everything was mushy/lame. Brought it back home and pulled the TV cable back towards the fire wall 1 click and that brought it back to how it was with the Precision 9.5" Vigilante LU I had in the car before doing the PTC install. To keep the TV adjustment I installed the Sonnex magic spring, which will work until I am bored enough to pull the valvebody and shim the TV valve. So I'm taking things easy making sure, with a couple of rodside pit stops to verify no leaks and everything looked good. I also just installed a new Pypes exhaust system with the new no-drone Dynamax VT mufflers. So being the hot rodder that I am I decided it would be a good idea for me to give the GN a half-throttle goose to be sure all systems are go and holy crap, the car has changed personalities. Before I could say Jesus the car was sideways and the tires were lit-up bellowing smoke, I was damn lucky I didn't put it in a ditch, caught me off guard, the car screams like hell with this converter! Thanks Dusty, thanks PTC, love the converter and the new exhaust is nice and quiet under normal driving. I did have the Hooker system on the car previously, it had been on for 16 years and was just to loud for my liking (getting old).
Mike

You'll never regret getting this convertor.

I was checking out my new engine and wanted to see how how pulled in 3rd. Hammered it about 70 and the sucker downshifted, RPM went out of sight and it blew the tires away. I stayed in it and drove to about 100 and it was still turning the tires and I was doing the "weeble wobble". It was thrilling but not something I really want to do again.

I wish I could install mine too got my PTC from Dusty the other day but still waiting on the stage 2 tranny from Lonnie, also recieved the 6262 yesterday so gonna do some porting this weekend.

I've been studying the TV plunger position importance since the install, I have connected a TCI transmission pressure gauge and will evaluate it tonight. I have a feeling the spring is too short, so once that is properly sorted I'll see what is does for automatic shifting at WOT. If the rpm is too low I thinking a switch from the BRF to a KC valvebody may be in order.

one thing that you can do to control the pressure rise and starting pressure is to bend the lever that the TV cable connects to at the throttle body. meaning that if you want the pressure at idle and part throttle higher (like you pulled the cable tighter) but don't want the cable overtight (so it loosens itself when you go WOT) you can bend the lever down. This shortens the overall amount the tv cable gets pulled from idle to WOT.

With a pressure gauge you will see what I mean....

That said, I am tempted to go with a KC myself. Partly for the higher WOT shiftpoints, and partly for the easier kickdowns. My 10" converter spooled easily at lighter throttles because it was loose in the midrange, Since the 9.5" is a lot tighter, I want the trans to kick down more easily....

Bob