PTC converter users

"Thats why he went faster with the unlocked 10" vs the locked 9-11."

bison--Above is not true. I went faster (2+ mph) vs the unlocked 9-11 but slower (-2+ mph) vs locked 9-11. The car shifts into second later (12 vs 26) but still shifts into third around 63, which is the same as the 9-11.

"Thats why he went faster with the unlocked 10" vs the locked 9-11."

bison--Above is not true. I went faster (2+ mph) vs the unlocked 9-11 but slower (-2+ mph) vs locked 9-11. The car shifts into second later (12 vs 26) but still shifts into third around 63, which is the same as the 9-11.
I should have said quicker. E.t not mph

Ya I was making sure that's what you meant as I doubt Dusty said you'd MPH better with the unlocked PTC 10" vs the locked 9-11 so it's not a surprise that it's 2mph slower ( unlocked vs locked ).

Is it not recommended to lock the PTC 10" converters?

That would be a more fair comparison but from the info given about the unlocked showdown the PTC would most likely give you a MPH gain locked over the locked 9-11.

Too much locking and unlocking in this post. :)

Is it not recommended to lock the PTC 10" converters?

That would be a more fair comparison but from the info given about the unlocked showdown the PTC would most likely give you a MPH gain locked over the locked 9-11.

Too much locking and unlocking in this post. :)

These are single disk and don't need to be locked at WOT. I know they will give up a little mph verses a lock-up in most cases but that was the trade off. These were designed to maximize e.t for the $$ and still retain lock-up for cruising. My car never mph'd with the multi-disks I raced against back in the day but the et was there and my win light was on:biggrin:

Good info in here. Thanks for posting.

With similar stall speeds, how would the unlocked PTC 10" compare to a re-stalled 12" that's been locked at WOT in regard to ET and MPH?

I have had my 2,800 PTC tc for about two weeks now and it is the best tc I have had. It has great street manners and stalls/launches great at the track. I went back to the track last night for test and tune and had three runs: 7.081 @ 98.71 w/1.603; 6.979 @ 98.99 w/1.567; and 7.006 @ 98.94 w/1.587. I can launch with 13-14# at 3,800 off the foot brake and the tires don't even spin (MT ET drag radials). I highly recommend PTC. :biggrin:

I had the vertical line in the wrong position on the previous attachment. Here is the correct one.

I'm definitely leaning toward upgrading to the 10" PTC. V6POWER your car seems to really rock with that combination.

Hammer 231--Thanks for the compliment. The car runs decent with the old style TE-61. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from PTC.

Can you post the power log file from the whole run, being in a doc form its not very good in showing the converter slip in the whole run. If the file is type is not accepted you can zip it with winzip.

norbs--I am computer illiterate. How do I post the log file/Winzip? This is a non-lock tc.

Resend it vanished from my computer, my spam program went flaky.

data looks interesting, looks like its laying down on top end for some reason, could be valve springs or spark related or just too fat. What size tires on this car? Your using alky iin this run?

What makes you think it is laying down? The valve springs are a year old with 2,000 miles on them (100#) and the tire is 27" (255-60/15). There was 0.5 knock retard at 92 mph and 10.97 afr. I was using alky. Thanks for any help.

If you look at the log carefully you can see the rpm fluctuating at the top of the run. The rpm is going up and down, the rpm should not go down at all in the same gear as speed increases.

Ask Dusty if he thinks thats normal or not???

This is one of the best threads I have read on converter stalls and efficiency! I'm loving the datalog screenshots showing shift points and converter slip!!! :biggrin: