PT 52 turbo

jason85gn

I just wanted to hear some opinions from you guys,so let me what you guys think. I might be able to purchase a PT 52 turbo. The guy removed it from his car to put it back to stock so he can sell it. He claims it does not leak or blow oil and he said there is no shaft play. My questions are what do you guys think of the turbo and when I go to look at it what do I look for in wear and shaft play? I appreciate your honest opinions, thanks.

PTE52 was my first non-stock turbo. Great street turbo and ran mid 11's with 22#'s of boost in a fully optioned street car. Buddy of mine latched onto it when I moved to a 61 and it worked well for him for several years.

Keep in mind that you'll probably have to change more than just the turbo. If you still have stock injectors and a stock TC, you'll need to change those or you won't be happy how it spools and it will run lean at WOT.

I'm pretty sure there are several threads on this board with a list of things to look for when buying a used turbo. if you have a local turbo shop, you might see what they would charge to check it out for you.

Thank you for the reply. If I do go for it I was not installing it on the car until I have upgraded injectors and TC. The injectors I was thinking of going with
are either 42.5 or 50 lb and the TC I was thinking is in the range of 2800-3000 stall. Let me know if I am going in the right direction if you don't mind.

Thanks again.

My TC was ordered as a 2800 stall but seemed to be a little tighter than that so spooled a little slower than I liked. Consistent 1.60 60 ft times.

I used 50's with this turbo and also with the 61 that followed.

I am just wondering if you know the difference between the TA,TE, and the PT turbos. Are they similar just different companies? Also, the guy that is selling the PT52, he is asking $300 for it with no actuator and I saw on Gbody
website they are having a turbo sale for TE turbos for $595. What would be the better choice in your opinion? Thanks

Agreed buy once, get more than you need.

x3 on the 60's. But bfore you buy anything you should have your goals clear. Buying a turbo thats a good deal is not so great if you have to replace it down the road because its not big enough. How fast do you want to go?

x3 on the 60's. But bfore you buy anything you should have your goals clear. Buying a turbo thats a good deal is not so great if you have to replace it down the road because its not big enough. How fast do you want to go?

I am looking to go 11.5-11.0 in the 1/4 mile.

I am just wondering if you know the difference between the TA,TE, and the PT turbos. Are they similar just different companies? Also, the guy that is selling the PT52, he is asking $300 for it with no actuator and I saw on Gbody
website they are having a turbo sale for TE turbos for $595. What would be the better choice in your opinion? Thanks

Here is a link to answer your queston. There is a lot of information on that website and I would highly recommend it as a resource for you.

Performance, Horsepower, Injector, Fuel, and Turbo Guide

Your site name is Jason85gn so it would appear that you have a hot air car.
It would helpful for those trying to help you to see your current combination.

As a rule, I don't buy used parts for my car unless I know the owner and how they treat their cars.

Quik Six, thank you for your help. Sorry, I should have told you that I have an 85 GN with an 87 motor and trans. Thanks again, the link is helpful. Jason

I think you should go ahead and post your combo. It's difficult to make the recommendations to help you reach your goals if what you have is not already known.

Couple of things to think about, it takes 475 RWHP to run 11:50's in a 3600# car and 535 RWHP to 11:00's. That is enough power to break drivelines, twist frames and get you kicked out of the track if you don't have a rollbar.
I'm not trying discourage you but want you to understand that running the times you posted is not an easy or inexpensive thing to do.

Go to post #12 on this thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/327284-willing-pay.html

I think you should go ahead and post your combo. It's difficult to make the recommendations to help you reach your goals if what you have is not already known.

Couple of things to think about, it takes 475 RWHP to run 11:50's in a 3600# car and 535 RWHP to 11:00's. That is enough power to break drivelines, twist frames and get you kicked out of the track if you don't have a rollbar.
I'm not trying discourage you but want you to understand that running the times you posted is not an easy or inexpensive thing to do.

Go to post #12 on this thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/327284-willing-pay.html
It takes less power than you posted to run the #'s you posted. The PT52 will run mid 11's on a sissy boy tune with no problem.

It takes less power than you posted to run the #'s you posted. The PT52 will run mid 11's on a sissy boy tune with no problem.

Numbers came from Joe Lubrandt's calculator with car weight of 3600#'s. Just looked at TCI's calculator and it shows a little lower ET at those HP. Kind of like raising chickens on paper.<G>

My PTE 52 ran consistent 11.50's with 101 gas and 22#s of boost which I think you would consider to be a sissy boy tune. Convertor was too tight, I was just learning in an environment where 22#'s was considered to be high boost. My 6265 starts to rock at 27#s which is what now I consider to be the threshold of high boost.

Car's at the shop getting final prep for Noble. Will see if it can meet or exceed your prediction for ET and MPH.

Hope you continue to post and keep us between the white lines.