Proposed new dragstrip in Flint, MI

Smart Mayor. He sees the potential in keeping guys off the street and also making some $$ also. Maybe they will build it right and get the NHRA here. That would really bring in some $$$$$$$$$$.

Seems it would be nice for the big 3 to have a place near them to have shows and events....

Its been on the drawing boards for about 4 yrs now, Don W bought a big chunk just off I-75 and Mt Morris rd.
He wanted to put up go cart tracks, RV park, Garages to fix, pretty much a complete state of the art complex, so far it seems to have hit a few snags but would be nice if it got the go ahead.

Its too bad that Flint fell into disrepair, it could have remained as it once was a great place to raise a family back in the 50's and 60's
Both sides of my family settled there, got jobs with Buick, Chevy, FisherBody and AC.
My Uncle Bill was a lead engineer for AC and had his hand in so much, like electronic cruise control, ecm systems, heads up display so forth and so on.

It would be pretty cool if it finally got built, the nearest track is in Lapeer and I wouldnt push a shopping cart down that 1/4 But ive moved out of Mich and as much as I love summer time there, I wont miss it come Jan.

Several years back he proposed this idea and even had the go ahead. There was one political hick-up that prevented the build and that was trying to get the county to widen the road, overpass to the highway, and off ramps. There is plenty of land and a great place to add a facility of this magnitude seeing there is virtually nobody living near by. Hopefully someday we will have a new track.

By the way Ted, congratulations on the win. Sounds like you are getting the new converter tuned in.
:)

Jeff Jr.

Hope you guys have better luck than we have down here in Cincy. Although we have 3 tracks all within 30 miles of each other, a local business man is trying to make a world class track to bring a national event here. He already owns the land, but an owner of an alpaca farm is protesting it.

The guy trying to make the track, Steve Engel, runs a Pro-Mod car in the NHRA. As of Saturday night, there may be another set back because Steve was involved in a bad wreck at the Nationals. Reports are that he broke his back:frown: I witnessed the wreck...it was bad! His car took a sharp left hand turn after the finish line (a 6.2 run), crossed into the other lane, then took out the concert wall, canceling racing for the rest of the night at IRP.
Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - STEVE ENGEL UPDATE

kevin that is horrible news. After witnessing some of the accidents this year, I look at my safety equipment different and am becoming more OK with going slower then these other guys.

My home town of Rockford Ill. was to have the now Joliet track built here in my back yard. They were ready to build and had an airport to boot next to the track. Well the people at UPS said that the aluminum grand stands would interfere with the radio waves for the air trafic. Total BS and guess what they built it in Joliet and have two NHRA and a Nascar race now.

track

Ted, just hope the EPA stays out of it. they can shut down about anything.
good luck,,

I hope a Buick event never happens there. That town is a **** hole.

kevin that is horrible news. After witnessing some of the accidents this year, I look at my safety equipment different and am becoming more OK with going slower then these other guys.

On a good note, I hear we are going to get our track. This came from a few sources today.:biggrin: Good luck to you guys up there too.

Steve Engel made a huge offer to the county. They can use the track as their fair grounds (the current fair is in the ghetto, no families go to it anymore do to the quality of people from the surrounding neighborhood that attend.)