New member in Oklahoma City, OK

Echo9Mike

Hello Everyone,

I am the new owner of a 1987 Buick WE4 in the Oklahoma City area. I'm active duty Marine on the cusp of retirement after 25+ years. My father owned a 1987 GN and WE4 and after his passing my brother and I inherited them. Aside from some very fond memories riding in the Grand National and watching my father race at the drag strip I have not had a lot of experience with these vehicles. I look forward to learning from the wealth of knowledge that's resident in this forum. Cheers!

Welcome Echo9Mike to the board, that is great that you were able to keep those T/B's in the family.
where did you do your basic, on the Island or the Beach. Enjoy Retirement !! :cool:

Mike,

Thank you for your service to our great country. Lots of good info and great people here. What state do you live in?
How's it running? Please post up a picture when you get a chance. Here's some evening reading to wrap your head around, what makes these little engines able to take the bigger engines behind the wood shed. ;)

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Happy spooling from an old Army dog.

Mike Barnard

Hey Man Welcome , A lot of great guys here that have a ton of knowledge . Grab a beer and enjoy the site . Thank you a lot for your service . I have a prior military back ground , I was in the Ms Army National and Army Reserve my MOS was 19K a M1A1 Tank Commander . Anyway read and ask all the questions you like . Keith

Hey man where are you in OKC I am in Moore! I can get you in touch with several other Buick folks. give me a call sometime 405-361-5362

Welcome Echo9Mike to the board, that is great that you were able to keep those T/B's in the family.
where did you do your basic, on the Island or the Beach. Enjoy Retirement !! :cool:
Thank you, Sir! I'm a Hollywood Marine. Anyone west of the Mississippi goes to San Diego. Those East go train with the women on Parris Island. ;)

Mike,

Thank you for your service to our great country. Lots of good info and great people here. What state do you live in?
How's it running? Please post up a picture when you get a chance. Here's some evening reading to wrap your head around, what makes these little engines able to take the bigger engines behind the wood shed. ;)

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/info-for-new-turbo-regal-owners.380856/

Happy spooling from an old Army dog.

Mike Barnard
Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and support. I currently live in Oklahoma. In regards to how it's running, I certainly have some questions about some audible noises its making. One seems to be coming from the transmission tunnel and after taking it to 3 different people they have all said the exhaust system is banging on the frame. The third guy owned a muffler shop and I paid him $100 to rehang the exhaust via a new hanger he welded on there. The noise seemed to be fixed until the second time I accelerated pretty hard and the noise returned immediately. It's an awful clanging noise that happens both under hard boost and about 70% of the time when I hit a bump in the road. So, this issue in addition to the car not building boost consistently I am a bit puzzled about the actual condition of the vehicle and whether I am looking at a potential pit. Lol

Hey Man Welcome , A lot of great guys here that have a ton of knowledge . Grab a beer and enjoy the site . Thank you a lot for your service . I have a prior military back ground , I was in the Ms Army National and Army Reserve my MOS was 19K a M1A1 Tank Commander . Anyway read and ask all the questions you like . Keith
Thank you very much, Keith! I appreciate your support as well. I've honestly never been much of a gearhead in the traditional sense. I love fast cars, but never been one to tear something apart and attempt to fix it myself. As my father slowed down, he spent less and less time driving these cars so I am currently trying to find a good Buick mechanic that can help answer some questions for me about some noises the car is making and the overall condition of it. Have a great evening. my friend!

Clint

Hey man where are you in OKC I am in Moore! I can get you in touch with several other Buick folks. give me a call sometime 405-361-5362
Hello William,

Thanks for the message. I'm actually from the Moore area (graduated from Westmoore in 92) but I am currently living on the north side off of NW Expressway. I'm kind of in the process of attempting to figure out why the WE4 is running the way that it is and making the noises it makes. Would you happen to know of a good mechanic familiar with these vehicles? If so, it would be an enormous help. Thanks for your time and I look forward to getting together at some point in the future. Cheers!

Clint

Sounds like loose torque converter bolts. If it is, you owe me a beer. :)

Should we call you Mike or Clint?

Welcome aboard!

Oklahoma, huh?

I spent about a month there one night.......... :D

Sounds like loose torque converter bolts. If it is, you owe me a beer. :)

Should we call you Mike or Clint?
If that's the diagnosis then I'd be happy to buy you a case! I really feel like I'm kind of flying blind here. My father passed unexpectedly and I have found next to no information on either one of these vehicles. We know more about the GN but only because he had it for so much longer but there is still a very limited understanding of the drive train and parts upgrades. Clint is perfectly fine. Echo9Mike is just an alphanumeric designation of my rank in the Marines. ;)

I read you Lima Charlie on the name thing now.
Let us know how it goes.

A night might have been enough back in the day. It's become a considerably nicer place to visit over the last 15-20 years. :happy:

I was jus' funnin'.

Actually, I was there back in '10, one day behind the big January blizzard that marched across the country that year. Followed that sumbish all the way from Flagstaff to St. Louis.

Honestly, we had a blast in OKC.

I spent the night there last October, on the way across rout 66 to the PRI show in Indy. It's kinda a blur, but I remember a warm bed, great weather, open roads and the best gas prices we'd ever seen. Wish I'd had more time to stick around.

Coming from So California, I dream of a slower pace of life, where we're not packed in like rats and having to pay 4 bucks a gallon for 91 octane gas.

But then I do like the fact that I've surfed 6 out of the past 10 days in 70 degree water. :D

I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the Hwy 66. ;)

The clanging could be suspension related. The sway bar end links on my Ranger sound pretty bad. Welcome aboard!