"Proper" 96 Impala SS Alternator

MNwe4

Hey gang, can people please chime in and tell me if this is the correct 140 amp alternator that can fit on our cars? I've read that the case may need to be re-clocked and it appears that one of the support bracket mount points is gone. Clocking is no biggie and if it's the little fork shape piece that no longer fits that's fine since I don't have it anyway. I deleted the a/c last year so the larger 140 amp case should fit. With running 5 lit up gauges, an electric vaccum pump, and soon a boost-a-pump I'd like to install a fresh alternator with a little extra amperage behind it.

AC Delco part 88877258
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3467844&cc=1049701&jsn=8

You may need to swap the pulley as well for the correct diameter.

It is a CS144 so it should work.

Correct one is for a 95/96 SS.
I don't remember the part number or if I had to clock it.
I have an old post on it with all the details. (buried in the archives here somewhere I suppose....)

Thanks guys. I've been searching, but when I find a thread with a link to an old post it just throws up an error. Either there's a disconnect with the old links or the posts were deleted it seems. This is one of the alts that Rock Auto shows for a 96 SS. Just wondering why if it installs so easy and can handle an extra 20 amps over the stock one then why spend more on a rebuild original? Seems like a no brainer.

Richard Clark posted a video here showing that it really made no difference. Look around. It's here somewhere.

I changed mine well before he had posted because it sounded like more is better... (I am not an electrical engineer)
It was a direct bolt on and has worked flawlessly,

My other car has a rebuilt original 120 amp and it's fine too.

I just put that one on my car bolted right in but had to change my wire connectors from the hot wire and the lead to the battery.

This is the one I installed ACDelco 335-1051 www.amazon.com/product/B007QBQKZ0

No clocking required. Bolted right in. Just had to open up the wire ring connectors. The stud on the back is larger that the stock alternator stud. The first one "Made in China" died after 6 months. The new replacement " Made in Mexico" With the Gold color Stator 5 Months so far still good.

Guy

Thanks for the input guys. I mean, the car is working right now with the Caspers volt booster hooked up to it. Went 10.96 last summer. I know that my electric vaccum pump draws a bit over 20 amps and thinking of adding a boost-a-pump to the fuel pump got me thinking. Here's what I have right now.

IMG_20170417_183214404.jpg IMG_20170417_183908805.jpg

Actually after looking at the rock auto photo vs mine it looks like that bottom hole for the bracket is missing... so the link I posted doesn't appear to be exactly correct.

The one BADGUY6 linked from Amazon has the tapped hole.

This is the one I installed ACDelco 335-1051 www.amazon.com/product/B007QBQKZ0

No clocking required. Bolted right in. Just had to open up the wire ring connectors. The stud on the back is larger that the stock alternator stud. The first one "Made in China" died after 6 months. The new replacement " Made in Mexico" With the Gold color Stator 5 Months so far still good.

Guy

Question, what about the connector that plugs in? Does our 1 wire plug work or does something have to be modified? Here it is on Rock Auto with more info:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3468162&cc=1216505&jsn=2

Looks like that alternator is for a 1995 Olds 88 Supercharged, just fyi. More specifically the GM 3.8 supercharged mid 90's motors.

Last edited:
No mods required to one wire plug. The wire ring connectors need to be opened up more or replaced with the proper size ring connector to fit the stud on the back.