Propane Injection - Hidden Injection Point?

Hidden Injection Point

• Yes!

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • No!

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Huh?!

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
????

Are there any adverse effects from using propane? Like trash in the propane or problems with valve seats ??? Or others ? thanks

I havent seen any adverse effects.

As far as trash in the propane. again, haven't seen it and all the testers filled their tanks in different places. If it does become a problem, however, adding a filter would be no problem.

Had a few questions, as propane is in my plans (and I've pre-ordered already).

1- Is the bottle tank pressure the only means of reading tank level at this point?

2- Ambient temps - can you clarify the needs of the heater? (as in at what temps is it necessary etc). I live in Chicagoland and may race into November, where it'll hit 40s. I'm assuming a bottle heater would be needed at that point.

3- Current status update? I'm not pressing by any means, just that an ETA would help me schedule my fall plans. If the kit is going to show up next week, I won't make any tuning plans for the 100-110 octane.. if you are talking later this year, I'll just make arrangements to get some race gas.

Thanks Jay

Here's the answers to your questions in order.

1 - Yes and No. We do have a remote pressure gauge that will be offered as an option. It uses a transducer at the bottle and a remote gauge. Kind of pricy but will allow for safe, remote monitoring. I figure it would be $250ish but that's just conjecture on my part.

2 - Yea, it would be. The upside is that the heater shouldnt be a costly upgrade WE HOPE. We are working on getting the heaters in stock. Dan told me today he had 5 of them on hand. We need to add a few pieces to them and they should be ready to go.

3 - Dan told me tonight he should start shipping orders end of next week provided there isn't some major snafu from a supplier. He has about 75% of the parts on hand for the systems now, just waiting on a couple of stragglers.

bump

Okay,
If my maf is mounted in the up-pipe,
Would it be better to mount the propane nozzle before or after the maf?

Opinions Please.

What about when you wheel up to the track and you have to go through tech inspection....Am I going to get grilled for having propane on the car?
Does it need a firewall between the tank and engine compartment????

I know it uses a DOT approved tank, but I wouldn't assume that it is NHRA legal.

Any ideas?

A lot will probably depend on the track. There is no reason the kit wouldn't be NHRA legal to my knowledge. It doesn't use any rubber hose (NHRA has a rubber hose limitation) which is the only thing I can think of that would be an issue.

You may need a firewall. I know fuel cells do. As I said before, I think it will be a track specific thing. I've gone to some tracks with no tech then Ive gone to tracks with brutal tech. About the only thing I see that could be an issue is the firewall.

I would imagine that this type of issue is not specifically addressed in the NHRA rule book. The fact that the tank is DOT approved and virtually indestructable under anything but extreme situations may negate the need for the firewall.... again, I think it's something that you can go to 10 different tracks and youre going to get 10 different responses.

As regards safety, why would NHRA look at cars using Propane
& those using NOS any differently?

:confused:

One is flammable and one isnt.

Safety & Propane

The question regarding safety (per NHRA) would seem to revolve

around requiring an officially designated standard of

quality in fuel lines, fuel containers, fuel fittings, etcetera...

specifically for cars using Propane as a Power Adder...

and they have not done this yet, correct?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any sanctioning authorities ANYwhere within racing

issued ANY guidelines regarding Propane?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are there NHRA-mandated standards for cars using Propane as

their PRIMARY fuel source? If so, how do they differ from the

federal DOT standards for Propane-fueled cars & trucks?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure you've likely surpassed any existing standards, Jay.

The preceding questions are meant for discussion of what

you've learned on the issue of safety requirements for Propane.

TIA! :)

Not exactly conclusive.. but, none of my testers or DR's testers have ever had any sort of conflict at the track regarding propane and some of them have been testing at larger NHRA tracks. Ekool was testing with his tubo Supra with the propane bottle laying in the passenger floor. Like I said, its all going to be track specific I believe.

Ok...well I'll have to wait and see what they say...Atco Raceway (where I usually go in NJ) is sometimes pretty strict.

That's my only real concern, besides, god forbid, I get rear ended...but there are a lot of LP powered cars on the road today, mainly fleet vehicles. I am wondering if they have some sort of cage around theirs or something.

I know that you are using the DOT tank...but I can't help thinking of a sneaky pete version..."Coleman Racing Products" LOL!

Hey, nice work by the way, Jay! I know that you must have spent plenty of late nights working on this. Thanks!

Well, one of my testers has tested at Houston Raceway Park and that is one of the bigtime NHRA tracks. No issues whatsover.

Far as the rear end deal, you would have to get smacked HARD and when I say HARD I mean like semi at 60 MPH and you sitting still HARD for it to even have a chance of puncturing that tank.

Isn't Nitro the most unstable fuel available:confused: I think I would fear it more than propane in my car:) As for knowing how much propane is in the tank wouldn't a simple scale to determine full an empty weight do the job?

Yea, you could weigh it and that would tell you real quick what's what. We're looking for something that you can mount inside the car to tell you. We have something already, it's just not cheap.

Dan is waiting on a couple of very small odds and ends. Mainly stuff for the electronics. I talked to him last night and he has all the major stuff in hand. All the hard parts are in, solenoids (Which ended up being huge pieces since we had them custom made), steel braided line, regulators, tanks, bottle mounting brackets, etc.

I would imagine he will have some pictures posted soon and kits should start trickling out shortly.

He did tell me he planned to have some for sale in Bristol.