ProEFI on 87 GN

What are the advantages of this unit over the fast xfi? Is this unit self learning?

What are the advantages of this unit over the fast xfi? Is this unit self learning?

There are a number of ever growing features and benefits of the ProEFI system. Full E85 Flex Fuel that is fault-based, ethanol-based iBoost control integration to offer 5 pre-set boost settings (with a simple 5 position knob), Fuel pressure compensation to aid in a failing fuel pressure situation, and multi-function displays just to mention a few off the top of my head.

Reid

I have read all of this i think now 3 times what a system wow now i want one i upgraded to the xfi 2.0 wich is very cool but this is 1 of the best tuning tools ive have ever read about sounds like its worth every dime and the coil on plug set up is also amazing.and with added functions what a work of art.thanks for sharing Cliff.

But im a big xfi fan i do like the 2.0 upgrade and all the new features that fast has to offer as well.

This system sounds pretty good but is it self learning, like the xfi? This is the main reason I;m thinking of getting an xfi 2.0 soon

This system sounds pretty good but is it self learning, like the xfi? This is the main reason I;m thinking of getting an xfi 2.0 soon

Norbs-

I asked Larry about the "self learning", and he said all of the self learning features in the proefi have been disabled as nobody was using them, and also indicated that any good tuner shouldnt be using them anyways. I don't know how they compared to what self learning features are available with the xfi 2.0. If these features are something you are interested in, I would suggest emailing the tech support on the proefi website, as I suspect since the features were available but disabled if you really wanted them they could probably be enabled on a unit when purchased? But I am just speculating-

Cliff

What exactly do you mean by self learning?? No system should ever be untuned and just let the O2 sensor feedback dictate the fuel map. It should always be put on a dyno first and then let O2 correction make small changes. The ProEFI has Learning ability for idle speed control, boost control, knock control and fuel control. We actually removed some of the fuel learning from the firmware to make room for other functions seeing that no one was using it. Of course the ProEFI has dual channel wideband capability with complete O2 correction at all times if you like.

Larry
SP

What exactly do you mean by self learning?? No system should ever be untuned and just let the O2 sensor feedback dictate the fuel map. It should always be put on a dyno first and then let O2 correction make small changes. The ProEFI has Learning ability for idle speed control, boost control, knock control and fuel control. We actually removed some of the fuel learning from the firmware to make room for other functions seeing that no one was using it. Of course the ProEFI has dual channel wideband capability with complete O2 correction at all times if you like.

Larry
SP

Self Learning Auto Tuning VE Table*

The Self Learning Auto Tuning VE Table is an automated process option that makes for quick and easy fuel mapping with the XFI 2.0™. However, this option can be turned off should the user prefer to do the tuning manually. The self learning mode can be also used to speedily and accurately populate a base tune and then turned off for more fine tuning or custom control by the user - it's all up to you when and how you want to use it. The C-COM® software features enable conditions to turn it on/off automatically and also has an overall enable/disable feature.

I really don;'t know more than what the fast website says, I think Cal Hartline could explain it better. I would really like to know what are the actual parameters to adjust when the self learning is on or off, but I can;'t find those details out.

Here is a screenshot of parameters

Adaptive_Learn.jpg

Adaptive Learning adjusts the Volumetric Efficiency vs RPM and MAP table for minimal wide band O2 sensor correction needed, using the Target Air/Fuel Ratio versus RPM and MAP table as the basis, in the cells that are touched while driving.

Thanks, that helps explain it. This is similar to the stock computer with BLMS thats one thing that I really liked with the stock set up, because when you cruise the numbers always change depending on engine temp, air temp, etc.

Adaptive Learning adjusts the Volumetric Efficiency vs RPM and MAP table for minimal wide band O2 sensor correction needed, using the Target Air/Fuel Ratio versus RPM and MAP table as the basis, in the cells that are touched while driving.

Yes this is correct. ProEFI also has this as well as adaptive learning for boost control, idle speed and TPS.

I just want to make clear to everyone that adaptive learning does not mean self tuning and under NO circumstances should any one assume this.

Yes this is correct. ProEFI also has this as well as adaptive learning for boost control, idle speed and TPS.

I just want to make clear to everyone that adaptive learning does not mean self tuning and under NO circumstances should any one assume this.

I don't understand that statement. please explain, isn;t self learning the same as self tuning? It learns the ve map and puts in the numbers it needs..??

I don't understand that statement. please explain, isn;t self learning the same as self tuning?

ALL standalones need to be tuned on a dyno PERIOD. What self learning does is make small corrections to the fuel map constantly while you are driving so that O2 correction is minimal. Ssometimes it is also called adaptive learning. Short term and long term fuel correction etc.

It is impossible to make a safe self tuning computer. Think about it..... lets say that you are in self learning mode and at 14 psi and 4500 rpms you are 15% lean..... well the computer will correct and add 15% there but not until you WERE 15% lean. Now lets say that you are 20% lean somewhere else.... the computer does not know this unless you ARE 20% lean which even for a small moment can melt your engine. When I am tuning a car I never let an engine get anywhere near that lean. This is why you always want to dyno tune any engine and then let the O2 sensor make minimal changes for weather, temp etc.

What the ProEFI is ... is a factory style computer that we can program live. It utilizes fuel strategies and processor speeds of computers in cars being built today. What Fast, BS3 and others are, are computers with much slower processors, utilizing fuel strategies from the 80s and 90s. If you look at the software for XFI or BS3 there are maybe 40 maps to adjust or so total. Look at the ProEFI and there are literally hundreds of maps, most of which are 3 dimensional.