ProEFI on 87 GN

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
My 87 GN street car is under the knife at the moment getting a ProEFI installed. I will be using a flex fuel sensor, running e85, and using the ProEFI as the turbo controller, two step, and eventually traction control. I figured I would start a thread about it and update once the car is running, which will likely be next week. To my knowledge, this will be the first install on a turbo buick....

Cool! What ignition will you be running?

Well... being the guinea pig on this one, before its running I guess I'm not 100% sure but the plan currently and in progress is to use the factory coil pack but with individual ignitors triggered by the ProEFI.

I know making the switch now to individual coils would be extreemly simple with this system, however if we can run the factory coil pack, I'd like to for a while anyways. The plan is to be able to run the factory coil and a two step off the proefi without the use of an aftermarket ignition box.

Attachments

• untitled14.JPG
    untitled14.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 911
Nice I'm interested to hear how it goes. I spoke to them awhile back when he was first getting started. Job Spetter recommended them and I believe had something to do with its development.

Software at the time had a few glitches but it looked like a promising system. If I remember the fueling strategy is quite different than std DFI, FAST, and BS3, SD closed loop WOT that you may be used to. More in line with how an OEM does things. Keep us up to date would like to see how it turns out.

2 new ProEFI platforms at SP.....

Two new unique applications have been added to the ProEFI stable. The 03 Cobra has a twin turbo setup with a TH400 trans and the GN has a Precision bolt-on 6768 CEA Billet turbo. Both cars are getting full Pro128 ECU setups with the new Color CAN Displays and will feature iBoost and Flex Fuel for E85 compatibility. This will be cool!!

DSC05508_chopped.jpg

DSC05509_chopped.jpg

DSC05510_chopped.jpg

DSC05511_chopped.jpg

DSC05347_chopped.jpg

DSC05518_chopped.jpg

DSC05521_chopped.jpg

DSC05522_chopped.jpg

DSC05523_chopped.jpg

Reid

I've read some good things about them and was considering them instead of BS3. Interested in how things go for you.

Pro - EFI

Definitely considering this system for my GS300. The flex fuel system is bar none the best out there - in my opinion!!!

The only issue I am having is the market isn't really set up to support this system. I really feel Pro - Efi should invest in some installation and tuning seminars throughout the country.

I spent some time at a shop in Fort Worth discussing the installation and even though they said they could do it. They hadn't done one previously and I have a feeling with my GS300 and things like the transmission control it could be a challenging installation.

But for our Buicks I think it is the next level as it relates to traction control and flex fuel capabilities.

Excited to see how these builds turn out!

Brief update- It's alive on ProEFI-

Been a little hectic between getting my other buick set up for the season and getting this GN done with the PROEFI, but we started it for the first time today a couple hours ago and got it purring like a kitten. No real tuning yet, and that will be early next week and I will provide more information then.

Brief update- It's alive on ProEFI-

Been a little hectic between getting my other buick set up for the season and getting this GN done with the PROEFI, but we started it for the first time today a couple hours ago and got it purring like a kitten. No real tuning yet, and that will be early next week and I will provide more information then.

That is always a big step.

What did you use for ignition? Wastespark, CDI, inductive CNP?

What does the fuel table look like and how is it setup? Does it have closed loop WOT fuel control?

How is the datalogging? Any user definable inputs?

Screen shots would be nice:D

Thats great Cliff. Is that the universal model?

I'm playing with the software right now. :biggrin:

That is always a big step.

What did you use for ignition? Wastespark, CDI, inductive CNP?

What does the fuel table look like and how is it setup? Does it have closed loop WOT fuel control?

How is the datalogging? Any user definable inputs?

Screen shots would be nice:D

For now we are using wastespark with the factory coil pack, just now there is no factory ignition module beneath it but rather ignitors triggered by the proefi.

Yes it has closed loop WOT fuel control.

Haven't done any logging yet with just the startup but will this week. As far as user definable inputs, i will talk with Larry at SP (whos tuning the car) before I respond as I do not want to mis speak. I'll try to grab some screen shots also.

Thats great Cliff. Is that the universal model?

I'm playing with the software right now. :biggrin:

Yes Rick, its a Pro 128 ECU univeral model (since they don't offer a specific plug and play harness for a turbo buick..... yet....)

Here is some additional information with regard to the proefi system:

This is the color CAN display I have in my car (not my GN in video obviously)

YouTube - ProEFI Color CAN Display v2 Demo

ProEFI - Automatic bottle opener

YouTube - ProEFI Automatic N2O Bottle Opener.wmv

Traction control demonstration:

YouTube - ProEFI Traction Control.wmv

Paul Majors ProEFI Corvette running 6.74 @ 223

YouTube - Paul Majors ProEFI Equipped Corvette runs 6.74@223 at Shakedown

Flex fuel demo:

YouTube - ProEFI FLex Fuel Video.wmv