Prize Giveaway for Tb.com Members

WE4

TBcom Admin /Prayers NYFD/NYPD
We have been fortunate enough for two vendors to "donate" products for us to give away.
Thank these people when you get the chance. (Clap, clap, clap)
Thanks to them from Turbobuick.com

First item :

1) Big Al has donated a mini-starter with bolts shipped

2) SpeednV6 has donated a fuel pressure gauge set up. Tb.com will pay the shipping to the winner

Now, at first the way I was going to do this was I would have my child pick a number between 1-11,700 which is how many members we have , and whoever is ID# whatever she picked in the database would win. BUT Vbulletin has informed me that there is no where you can get this from other than to download a program and give everyone a number. So, that will not work.

SO My question is:
How can we and what kind of contest should we have? Nick and I thought about it and I can't see a way to do it and include everyone. With a raffle , tickets are sold and then picked to see who wins but this is NOT a raffle, it is a GIVE AWAY.

So then we considered a three digit lottery or a one digit lottery. I would pre mail the number(s) to someone on the board and whoever got closest would win. We will do one prize at a time and I will step up and donate something too from PTS so we will have three times to try this. Doing one at a time , we will carry it out over time so ther is always some kind of giveaway going on in that period of time.
So what we are looking for is ideas on how to both go about this and how long should each one last? 1-2 weeks, 1 month? what?
Anyway, replies are desired and as soon as we come up with a way to do this so every member has an equal chance to win, we will get started with product #1.

These are the rules I have so far that no matter what will apply.
1) No Administrator or Moderator of the board can win.
2) The answer or winning number will be premailed, in advance, to a member of choice chosen by us as a group.
3) Only one entry per member.

Let's get this rockin!!!!!!

So, any ideas how to do this ?
How would you guys and gals like to see this done?
It isn't as easy as one would think, is it?

Thanks in advance......:D
Bruce
WE4
Tb.com admin

Well, maybe you can do it like a "pick 5" or something of that sort. Range your numbers say 1-45 (for an example), and have the members do like a lottery card picking 5 numbers that include the numbers 1-45.

Who ever gets the five numbers wins.

You may only want to have 25-30 numbers or so, so that at least someone will win or even who is the closest with the winning numbers.

Have them send in their "selected winning" numbers (not to be posted of course) to either you or a moderator ( I wouldnt mind either) and have your daughter pick 5 numbers. Once she picks the five numbers, we can (or I can) sort through the "tickets" and voice who won.

What do you think? Im here to help

Danielle:D

Good , good

Idea #1..

Any others?

Bruce
We4

Since I don't know what kind of data the db will allow you to dump as a user report its hard to figure a way other than Bitchin suggested which would mean a bunch of emails then the sort and pick.

I think active members, say that have made at least 1 post this year, would make a good list. Does the db allow you to display members that have posted over various time periods or anything similar? If so you could possibly paste that list of names into excel, sort the duplicates out if needed then have your girl pick a number from the total number of lines listed and refer to the line number for the winner.

How about having people email you with their username and password. That way you can verify that each person gets only one entry, as well as having people that are actually interested join into the frey.

Oh, and let the mods play!!! :D

what about a raffle at the GS nationals. it may be a good way to get some more members for the site and people will be there in person to win

Thanks for the suggestions

I think Shane has a good one. As for the Nats, it has been requested we give these away ON THE board to an active member.
I also feel that it is a godd idea to give to a member on the board and the giveaway on the board. Please keep ideas coming. It isn't so easy is it?

Thanks guys

Bruce
WE4
TB.com admin

Start a new topic and give everyone that's interested a few weeks to get ONE post in. Every post in the thread is numbered down the line. Random number is picked, lets say 35 is picked, then whoever had the 35th post in the thread gets the prize.

Some boards I'm on number every post and that'd make it easier, but you could count manually for only three items.

Oh, when a winner is picked, do a search on their previous posts and that'd tell ya if they posted more than once in the thread (thread will get too long to scroll through for duplicate posters). It's not like they can delete their posts anymore.

Thanks to those who made the donations, even if I don't win (I never win anything).

bob :cool:

I like this idea the best so far

INEEDAGN has the best idea yet as far as I am concerned.
Great idea.
Keep them coming but I am leaning towardsINEEDAGN's thought.

Bruce
WE4

Only thing you need to do is make sure that everyone knows that the post AFTER your topic starter post will be number one, otherwise the guys right before or after the winners may think they got cheated. OR you could PM me what you want said and I'd start the post and be number one myself. Can you activate a feature that numbers the posts? It'd make it easier.

bob

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=4

That link will take you to any user my user number is "4" replace the 4 with another number and it will go to any user. through the years users have been disabled or deleted the current high user number is 16753 (from the newest menber info on the main page)
This will do it for you if you pick a dead number repick
I still know a thing or two about this place :)
Mike Licht

Very clever!

Rightly though, there are only a few hundred "active" members, and you may have to pick several times to find someone that you can even get in touch with to tell them they won. Not that I care, it's not my problem. :D

bob

That seems like the way to do it, right there in the profile it shows when the last post was made. Like INEEDAGN said, might take several tries but that seems best so far IMHO :)

sounds good to me.

Mike, I will get in touch with you to discuss more. Probobly tommorrow as I only have two days left.

Bruce
WE4

Do it by post number.

Check the current post total and then pick a limit higher than the total. With that block of numbers have your child pick a couple of random numbers and go off that.

Post the winning numbers and let the members have a field posting, trying to hit the right post number.

i like the idea of the thread like INEEDAGN said- but you have to make a sign up limit. so people cant make up multiple screen names and put theres in there. its very fair to do a sticky and just say your post # is your # for the raffle- then only active board members will be in it- and everyone has an equal chance. make a thread with it- let it fill up for a week- make the previsouse week the cutoff for new member sign up and let it run. count the posts- draw 3 numbers and have a predetermind order for the giveaway- first # gets the starter blah blah blah. that way once youve won your done. this is how we did it on another board and it went off without a hitch.

How about you pick a day to do it . draw a number from 1-100 or so and that # matches up on the bottom of the page on active users so ,if you are on that day and say the # is 2. If your the second name on the list at the time you win. If it's 50 and you are the 50th listed exc............maybe

Have the users pick a # in a post. The winning # will be the powerball numbers of the ending day of the contest added then x3. (or whatever #) Whomever comes closest gets the prize, 2nd the other... That way no one can claim cheating when picking the #. Everyone posts their guess, and unless TB.com can rig the powerball #s it's fair. Of course, if you could rig the Powerball #s you wouldn't be doing this right now. :D