Pressure gauge for alky pump???

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Pressure gauge for alky pump? Would it be feasible to mount a gauge to keep an eye on the pressure of our alky pump? Already have a hood mounted one for fuel pressure, why not one for the alky pump too? Just thinking out loud. What is the max pressure of the Razor pump?

Razor has a pressure gauge kit, I'll have to check to see how high up the pressure will read, I was planning on mounting the alky pressure gauge next to the fuel pressure gauge on the hood too. But, I haven't even gotten my fuel pressure gauge mounted back to the hood since I swapped out the cowl for the stock one. The gauge from Razor is a liquid filled gauge, but it's not the usual type gauge, it can't be mounted like a regular one, so far I have just left it hooked up and when I need it I just put it under the wiper blade. I'll get a pic posted soon.

I've considered running an electric in cockpit type gauge to view at all times. If you prime the system all the time before any blasts that helps and if you rebuild the pump every other year that's gotta help too but I'd be interested in seeing a cockpit kit.

Pressures though are 100+ and some 200psi and Stewart Warners 150psi Oil Pressure has been the highest electric I've found.

Thinking out loud..

Honeywell makes a 250 PSI pressure transducer with a 0-5 output and can be wired into a power logger input.

Only issue is the cost of the transducer is 140'ish lat time I checked. I've always keep my eye out for inexpensive SS tranducers that can be used. But then I always hit the same walls.. one is the cost of the part, then figuring out what display medium to use. And trying to keep things between the lines whereby cost/profit/etc are kept in check.

The liquid filled guages 0-300 PSI are like 20-25, plus the adapter, hose, and T fitting. Cost to do a simple guage is 50-60. I guess cost to do an electronic one would be 150 sender/pigtail only, and possible 200-225 with guage.

Thoughts?

I'd be more interested in a gauge I can always monitor vs the transducer deal. Would a regular fuel pressure gauge hold up to meth??

Pressure is the problem. My pump will kill a 100 PSI guage :redface:

A 300 PSI would be fine. Problem is nobody I know makes them in a 2 1/16 package like an autometer mechanical. Let alone you shouldnt have a flammable liquid inside the cockpit.. so it has to be electric.

Was thinking more in the lines of a hood mounted gauge like guys run fuel pressure gauges. Mech gauge would work fine.

Was thinking more in the lines of a hood mounted gauge like guys run fuel pressure gauges. Mech gauge would work fine.

That means you need to have a couple things happen with the guage. One is that there is a cup holder so it can be mounted on the hood, and two that the pressure port is on the back of the guage, and three is that its illuminated so it can be seen at night.

I dont know anyone that makes such an animal.

Now.. there is a company called Westach that will make you an electric guage with any scaling. You need a pressure transducer and have the guage made. It costs $$$ but hey.. its an option.

FWIW, here's a link to the honeywell piece,
http://content.honeywell.com/sensing/prodinfo/stainsteel/pdf/008118_3_EN_w.pdf

MLH250PSB06A

After a ton of searching I found a 200psi mech gauge that would work perfectly in a gauge cup. Are you saying your pump puts out more than 200psi?? Also, would the gauge required liquid damping?? This one I found is NOT.

With the nozzle you have, you'll be fine with 200 PSI. As far as the dampning, worse case is add a snubber :D

just a though, instead of a full gauge to measure
how bout just a pressure switch set at say 100psi
and when it's on (at 100psi) it will light up a LED.

I've seen Honeywell pressure switches go for cheap, they have a sliding tab on the side to adjust for whatever pressure to "turn on" and many operate at 12V :)

BTW: what is the pressure like in the line if the nozzle was clogged?? I'm guessing it would spike

If so I would setup a 2nd pressure switch and have that set at say ~150 to measure spikes in pressure (which should indicate a clogged nozzle) right?

fyi, the above Honeywell switches were designed to be used on water heater boilers, so they are fairly common

Bringing this back from the dead, getting ready to hook up this gauge, should it hold up OK to methanol??? Stewart Warner 200psi fuel pressure.

Update with pics

OK, got everything installed, got both my regular fuel pressure gauge and the meth gauge mounted side by side on the hood on one of my new brackets I sell. Found the right fitting and teed off right at the nozzle, made up some teflon braided line to the guage and voila. Works great! Nice to be able to see actual pressure on the gauge vs looking for the light on the dash.

Attachments

• dualinstalled1.jpg
    dualinstalled1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 365
  • dualinstalled2.jpg
    dualinstalled2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 420
  • dualinstalled3.jpg
    dualinstalled3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 382
  • dualinstalled4.jpg
    dualinstalled4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 364
I 'kinda like the idea of using a 0-250psi transducer with a 0-5v output... so it can be watched by the Powerlogger.
Only problem is, the Powerlogger is only capable of converting 5v to 100psi right ? :confused: