Prepared for Hurricane Sandy here in Virginia

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Hope all in the way of this bad storm coming are ready..........I did most of my preparations today getting ready for this thing, and will probably get to use our new generator as we expect loss of power for quite a few days, if not weeks.......hope it works OK......we, here in Central Virginia, are in this storm's path but off to the left of it............we are expecting up to 59mph winds, which is my main concern as we are surrounded by thousands of trees, very, very big and tall trees...............I can only pray and wait to see what happens here..........Hurricane Isabel put a large tree on my garage and knocked a nice hole in the roof, which I since have repaired...........our insurance company threatened to cancel us when we called just for an estimate..........can you believe that? So, I just got my ass up on the roof, did the measurements, went and got the supplies and fixed the damn thing myself......hasn't leaked since (2003)

Anyway, getting pretty anxious here, and can only sit back and brace for it..........I sure hope all you fellas out there in this storm's path have done everything to prepare yourselves and that you are safe,....and none of your property gets torn up, i.e, Turbo Buicks, Grand Nationals, cats, dogs, wives, toolboxes:rolleyes: .............but it does look bad, very bad from computer monitoring reports......looks like Dennis Kirban will be affected along with James, Bob, and others in Connecticut.......really sucks to have this damn storm hit us so close to election time and this late in the season.

My prayers for a safe passage through this storm, fellas...................be careful out there. Let us know how it goes if you're still on the earth next week.:eek:

Bruce '87 Grand National

WHAT THE HELL???? Double posts!!!!!! Jeez, WHAT A DWEEB!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, guys, I've got the Hurricane jitterso_O Time for a cold Coors, yeah, that'll help, especially this late at night!:confused:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Stay safe Bruce...Better stock up on fuel for the generator, after it hits it will be hard to come by. Non perishable foods and water too.

Bryan

Stay safe Bruce...Better stock up on fuel for the generator, after it hits it will be hard to come by. Non perishable foods and water too.

Bryan

Yep my next generator will be propane powered. If the power is out at the gas station, no gas, but you can always buy the propane refill bottles!

Man, thanks for the prayers...........needed greatly. I've got five 5 gallon cans in the garage of gas.........don't know if this is enough..........so, I also have a full tank of gas in my '89 Jeep, so I'll just get extra gas from that if needed...........propane is a good idea....will consider for the future.

Plenty of water, plenty of food, just not plenty of confidence of getting through this thing unscathed. It's going to be a bitch.

Generator holds 5.9 gallons of gas.....have a transfer station in the basement with six circuits to control, i.e., well pump, microwave, kitchen, fridge, office, and master bedroom.....will switch on highest start wattage items first, and only use circuit when needed......generator is rated at 7500 running watts, 9375 starting watts.......since this is the first time I'll ever be using one of these, and only using the most necessary circuits via transfer station, do any of you guys have any idea how long this generator will run on one tank of gas? (5.9 gallons)

I have a feeling that gas may be a problem as you guys have stated, no power at gas stations.....OH! Wait a minute! My wife's Buick has 18.9 gallons of gas in it, too!!!!! Great! So does the Vette......no, that's high octaine, too expensive for me to power our toilet....will stick with............OH! Yeah! That's right! I've got a full tank of gas in the Grand National..............crap, that's high octaine, too..........can't 'em all.

Again, thanks for the prayers..............that was really nice.............some good fellas out there, I tell ya!

Bruce '87 Grand National

The generator will run about 8 hours at 50% load on 1 tank of gas.

Bryan

thanks bruce !!!!! i havent seen you around much lately. yeah we are suppose to be getting it up here as well last year we lost power for 7 days some lost it for 2 weeks. we are in a city so it was weird with no traffic lights and such.i havent done anything to prepare as of yet probably the only thing i will do is put my we4 in the garage.

i wish everyone well and hope for the best. i will keep you updated.

Best wishes to you and all out there. Sounds like you're a lot more prepared than most though. God bless!

Peter

thanks bruce !!!!! i havent seen you around much lately. yeah we are suppose to be getting it up here as well last year we lost power for 7 days some lost it for 2 weeks. we are in a city so it was weird with no traffic lights and such.i havent done anything to prepare as of yet probably the only thing i will do is put my we4 in the garage.

i wish everyone well and hope for the best. i will keep you updated.

You're welcome, James. Always. Haven't been around much due to my Mom not doing too well, so...trips up to her house, long ways...taking care of bills.....etc...trying to do what's best for her and just full of anxiety, you know? It's getting scary and worrysome for me......we don't get any younger.

No traffic lights??! That's great, then no excuse for getting a running a dead red light ticket!

Oh, jeez. Two weeks?! I don't have enough gas to run the generator that long, I suppose we can just run it when we take dumps, then shut it off.:p We live out in the sticks! So far from water treatment plants that we send the contents of our toilets to them via UPS.:eek:

And, yes, put that nice WE4 away, keep it nice and dry...........also try to protect all those 16 million GM parts you have from the rain. If not, send most to my garage, though, keep in mind, I won't give them back!:rolleyes:

Stay safe, James, and take it easy. Keep us updated like you said.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Best wishes to you and all out there. Sounds like you're a lot more prepared than most though. God bless!

Peter

Thanks, Peter.....it's nice to know that others care out there....real good feeling.......and I'll take the blessings to heart.

Bruce '87 Grand National

WHAT THE HELL???? Double posts!!!!!! Jeez, WHAT A DWEEB!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, guys, I've got the Hurricane jitterso_O Time for a cold Coors, yeah, that'll help, especially this late at night!:confused:

Bruce '87 Grand National

I removed the second post. I hope everyone in the path of Sandy will be safe. The Turbo Buick community sends our prayers out to you and your families

Joe, I thank you kindly. I hope and pray for all the others who will be caught in this atrocious storm. Power will probably go out sometimes Sunday or Sunday night so will be gone for a while (soaking wet, of course)

Bless you all for your caring.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Stay Safe Bruce! Hope your not effected too bad over there, we will be praying for you and anyone else who gets effected by this nasty storm.........

Here in CT.

Just got back from getting stuff from Home Depot, filling up the truck and getting gas cans filled. Went out early to avoid all the crazies! No generator here, but glad I bought a house with city water / sewer. That still works if power is out.;) Won't have any hot water but can survive without that.

One thing people should do is get some $$$ out of the ATM.

Will have my hands full at my day job as I am sure most of my staff will call out "sick". (nursing home Maintenance Director) My two generators are ready there, all outside furniture in. During Irene we had a huge weeping willow tree just miss the building, really lucked out on that. We were on generator in one portion of the building for 5 days.

Didn't have any problems at home except losing power for about 5 hours. Hoping for the best on this one.

Spent yesterday with cruising the CT shoreline in the GN along with some other friends in their hot rods, made a pit stop at Dock & Dine in Old Saybrook who just redid their restaurant after being damaged by Irene. They are literally on the water and will probably get wiped out again.

Good luck to everyone out there in it's path.

willow 002.jpg
willow 004.jpg