preload comp 885 lifters 212/212 cam

Alaskabuick

Hey guys,

what should I set my preload at (cold) with the 885's & 212/212 cam? I have Champ Alum heads as well

Anyone know how much the head grow when hot? I have seen several opinions and it seems to favor little preload like .002. I am just trying to figure out wich way to compinsate for expansion.

As the motor gets hot I would get less preload from the initial cold setting? Is this correct?

thanks,

Dennis

I set them at .001-.002 and could hear them after a pass for about 2 minutes from the expansion. You want to be sure the valves are closing.

Mine and 88ZNX

.030 or 1/2 turn past 0 lash--very quite. Now lets hear how wrong I am!!!!!!

fine for 883's but the OP is about 885's on AL heads...

I have 885 with aluminum heads.
I actually have Scorpion hyd. roller lifters but according to Dan @ DLS they are the same as Comp. 885 and I have to agree they do look to be the same.
They recommend .030 preload and I called to double check--sure enough they work great @ that setting
88ZNX is a friend who has the same lifters and runs them @ .030.

I actually have Scorpion hyd. roller lifters but according to Dan @ DLS they are the same as Comp. 885

Lee,
I don't recall ever having any such conversation with YOU ever. If I did have
any discussion with anyone it was pertaining to the 853 lifters. Don't use my
name to justify your backwards logic!!:mad:

True to form

I never said we had a conversation about these lifters. I once had a post that I thought I had found some Johnston lifters but they appeared to be the same as Comp. 885. You replied in that post that they were the same except in a fancy package!!!!!! I don't have the time to look up that post BUT it does exist. Thank you for your compliment on my thinking--don't know why I would expect anything less from you..

The plunger is held down so far by the retainer on the 885's i doubt you could run .030 preload. You would hold the valves open