Precision Front Mount not very Precise PLEASE HELP

enforcer1

OK I bought a precision front mount intercooler when they were on sale last year and today I started TRYING to install it (the key word is trying) on my 87 never been wrecked GN.
The intercooler mounted up front easy enough but when I tried to put the up pipe on from the ic to the throttle body it would not "reach", needs about 3 inches up top. I tried every way imaginable to get it in there,but either the pipe is too short on top or bottom (at the ic) also had to remove that white thingy thats attached to the fan shroud (might be a relay?) cause the pipe was hitting it.
I'm at my wits end here. I thought I could maybe cut the mounting hardware an inch to let the intercooler set back towards the radiator a little, but that d&*n pipe is also hitting against the bottom of the radiator support and CANT go back anyway. Besides that still wouldnt give me the extra few inches I need to connect it to the throttle body.
If the hose was longer I could stretch it those few inches from the pipe to the thottle body but I would think there needs to be some solid pipe in there somewhere.
Any ideas out there? I was going on a trip in a few days and really wanted to try it out.

Thats very strange,,my hoses always seemed to long ,,can you take some pics,,which side of the front sswaybar are you running the pipes (towards the front of the car or toward the motor)

well the hose from the turbo compressor to intercooler looks a little long, and that pipe doesnt look like it will be a problem.

now the other pipe hose is a whole different matter! I'm running the pipe in front of the sway bar, no way it would work behind it.

Thanks asphaltanilih8r
those picks are pretty much where my pipes go. my hoses were orange with a black coating on them like tape though ,not the blue you have. my pipe still is too short, dont know why.
you think I could like have a few inches welded onto the end? I know it would be a major PITA to do that but I just dont know.
I might try to take a pic but i really dont know alot about that stuff.

I had to use a 6" hose on the throttle body to up pipe. Thats what PTE sent me with the kit. HTH

Originally posted by enforcer1
OK I bought a precision front mount intercooler when they were on sale last year and today I started TRYING to install it (the key word is trying) on my 87 never been wrecked GN.
The intercooler mounted up front easy enough but when I tried to put the up pipe on from the ic to the throttle body it would not "reach", needs about 3 inches up top. I tried every way imaginable to get it in there,but either the pipe is too short on top or bottom (at the ic) also had to remove that white thingy thats attached to the fan shroud (might be a relay?) cause the pipe was hitting it.
Any ideas out there? I was going on a trip in a few days and really wanted to try it out.

Did you contact PTE? They have a couple different up-pipes and maybe you have the wrong one for your application.

SCOTT was your pipe that far away from your throttle body?

INTERCOOLER tried going in from both sides all day long.

NICK i WILL be calling them in the morning.

thanks for the suggestions guys,never had this much of a problem from a bolt in part.

If PTE refuses to help me I may use the stock up pipe (or a few pieces of it ) then connect it to the pte pipe, but i would have to cut the pipe then:( welding some more pipe on might still be an option.

has anyone had this problem before?????????

I installed my front mount from PTE in Jan, and it fit perfectly! You must have the wrong up-pipe. Dont go cutting anything until you talk to PTE! I'm sure they bend those on a fixture and that they are all the same,so it must be the wrong one.

Ditto, bought one probably about the same time as you when they were on sale and everything fits up fine.

Does the pipe look like it will line up if you leave out the hoses?

that little white thing on the fan is the high/low speed resistor.

I installed a PTE frontmount a few months ago, and I had a hard time with it also. I didn't think the pipes would ever line up without hitting something, but then all of the sudden with a lot of pulling and pushing things just came together. And they didn't hit anymore. What I realized with my pipes is that there is just one exact way it fits, and nothing else will work. Just my story anyway. Hope you get everything figured out. Opie

Try pulling the pipe down from the intercooler outlet a little. it should NOT be flush against the intercooler. I have the pipe near the end on the hose. The hoses are pretty long so you should have some room to play with.

I just bent the fan hi/lo resister out of the way, but didn't have any problems putting it in. Call Pat at PTE!!
Tarey D.

Called PTE early today about my problem, talked to a woman didnt get her name. She spoke to me about 2 minutes then took my name and number and said "let me call you back". Well I waited the rest of the day-no phone calls! Also tried aligning everything again.
The pipe does not even come close to looking like it would fit just holding it up without the hoses. when I get the top lined up the bottom is too far away AND at the wrong angle from the intercooler. When i get the botom lined up theres a huge gap at the top and also the angle is way off. The only thing I can do is get both angles have way off and try and make it up with the hoses but the pipe is still coming up too short by several inches and I dont think thats how its supposed to be anyway.
Thanks for everyones help, its 2 40 am here and off I go again to the garage to work on this crap.
I will be calling PTE again in the morning,probably very upset.

UPDATE

OK just talked to PTE again. they stated that the pipe I am using is the only one they make so I am out of luck there. HOWEVER they said i should have a 4" hose at the top so I go out and measure, guess what? a 3 " hose!!! so now there sending me a replacement.
Can someone please measure their hose just to let me know I'm on the right track? its the throttle body one. maybe with a longer hose I can get this baby running.

Make sure you've got it bolted in the correct place on the core support; there are multiple holes in the support. It's been a while since I put a PT&E FM in but it should be pretty evident which ones work.

Does the other pipe (turbo to IC) fit well? If it also fits poorly I would suspect a tweaked car or a mislocated IC..I know you said it hadn't been wrecked but cars do vary.

If you do find out that you have to cut it and put a piece in, it's not the end of the world. Any decent fabrication shop should be able to do this easily.

YEah I bet that is the problem,recheck which holes you mounted the intercoolr to,maybe you have to move it up the high holes....

the hose on mine is 4" but it's shoved at least an inch onto the up pipe. I dont think thats the problem, you do have all 4 bolts installed through the IC into the radiator support, along with the supplied spacers right? I actually had more trouble with the turbo side pipe but it eventually rotated right into position. Did you get that side installed?

hey guys
well i believe its in the right holes, the ones previously occupied by the cross braces.
i think its just the short hose i had, i looked at it and a 4 inch hose would just about cover it.
the turbo pipe went on very easily and lines up well.
we will just have to wait and see what length hose PTE sends me.
thanks for all the advice so far.