Powermaster Problems (Please Help)

wnbracey

I have a 1987 GN with powermaster problems. I intend to purchase the remanufactured system from AutoZone. Does anyone know the AutoZone part number for the remanufactured unit. I called my local AutoZone and they told me that the part was $700.00. Also, does anyone have directions for completing the install of the remanufactured powermaster unit?

Thanks for you help,

Nelson Bracey
Wnbracey@bigfoot.com

Hey nelson, before you go spending $700 check this out.

http://www.members.tripod.com/Turbocars/pm.html

I am in the process of just replacing this part to complete my big brake upgrade. This is way more up everyones alley in pricing.

I am about to get one but have not called due to the production problem, does not sound good right now.

hope that helps

What's Wrong?

What is wrong with the power master?

What is it doing.

You might just need a new switch $18 bucks?

Or an Accumulator Ball for under $100 Bucks?

Or a Fuse for .25 !

Did you go this route already?

$700 is an expensive lesson to learn when it could just cost as little as .25 .

Just trying to help out.

Re: What's Wrong?

what switch for $18 you are talking about

Originally posted by REAL-DEAL GN
What is wrong with the power master?

What is it doing.

You might just need a new switch $18 bucks?

Or an Accumulator Ball for under $100 Bucks?

Or a Fuse for .25 !

Did you go this route already?

$700 is an expensive lesson to learn when it could just cost as little as .25 .

Just trying to help out.

Powermaster Problems continued...

Thanks for all of the responses. I had the powermaster unit rebuilt by a GM dealer approximately 4 years ago. The motor runs continuously and it does not sound very strong as it once did. The brakes will hardly stop the vehicle.

Thanks,

Nelson

I thought you could just get the master cylinder part from Auto Zone for less than $200. If the motor doesn't stop running and its not leaking fluid on the outside than its the pressure switch or master cylinder I'd guess. I don't think you need to replace the whole thing.
I kinda like the Powermaster, its simpler than you think. HTH

Auto Zone

I bought the complete power master unit from auto zone for 175$ buck. With a life time warr. I have the part # at home. I will post it later.

I bought the complete Powermaster setup from Discount Auto Parts for $199.
Discount took my order over the phone & I had it the next day.
Auto Zone told me it was $175, but I had to prepay. When I got there with the $$, they changed their tune to "The $175 pm isn't available, but we'll sell you the $450 unit instead". Then to really get my attention they said the $450 pm wasn't available either.
With all the troubles I had with the vacuum conversion, I went back to the pm from Discount Auto Parts.

Just so i am not confusing you., I am talking about a complete unit: master cylinder, pump, reservoir, accumulator, pressure switch

I got mine from Discount auto parts as well for around 200.00 :) . Its this best price i could find . Its a remanufactured unit by Cardone. Part # 52-9702. I remember it was alittle bit of a struggle getting the shaft over the pin on the brake pedal :mad: . I have my old unit here and is prolly okay, i didn't realize that i needed more fluid in the engine side compartment and the pump was whine-ing from running dry.....lol. oh well iI keep learning.

BTW; the dealers in canada wanted somewhere around $1300.00 for it ...hehehehe

powermaster

my unit is puking oil out of the reservoir only sometimes. why does it do this? and passenger side compartmet is much lower than opposite side

The usual low hiss that accompanies pushing the break just changed into a loud raspy hiss. The break still works and everything. Just wondering what this is and how i fix it. i dont want to go and buy an entire new unit

suburban said:
my unit is puking oil out of the reservoir only sometimes. why does it do this? and passenger side compartmet is much lower than opposite side

Because its too full.
Read the directions on top of the lid and then check the fluid level. :cool:
BW

The guy I bought my car from, said that the brakes didnt work at all when he bought it. He said he got a new powermaster for it. It looks like its just a new master cylinder. Im assuming the actual powermaster is the big motor right underneath the MC. That thing is old and crusty. My brakes dont work for crap. Ive had quite a few scares. If I have to slam on my brakes quick, the car doesnt brake like it should. Its really sloppy and weak and the pedal will eventually drop to the floor if I stay on it long enough. How can I test and see if my powermaster is working? Can I jump the pins in the sensor connector? Or just disconnect it? I remember when I first put some fresh fluid in the resovoir, my brakes started locking up on me pretty violently. i would barely touch the pedal and the car would go into a slide. It did that for a few days and went away. It recently did it again, but it went away after a week. Is this an accumulator ball loosening up after getting fresh fluid? I have no idea how this brake system works and cant afford a new motor. Sometimes when I turn my ignition key on, I hear a motor running for a few seconds. Sounds like a loud fuel pump, but its coming from under the hood. Is that the PM?

Once again this is urgent and i am not getting any answers just more questions.....The usual low hiss that accompanies pushing the break just changed into a loud raspy hiss. The break still works and everything. Just wondering what this is and how i fix it. i dont want to go and buy an entire new unit

Im assuming the actual powermaster is the big motor right underneath the MC
Don't ASSume. The powermaster is the whole thing. Motor/pump, master cylinder, and accumulator ball, along with the pressure switch that controls it. You can get the motor/pump assembly from Hank Terry using the link near the top of this thread. I understand that GM no longer has the rebuild kit for the master cylinder, and the accumulator balls have gone up and price, and are hard to find.

Spoolinup said:
Hey nelson, before you go spending $700 check this out.

http://www.members.tripod.com/Turbocars/pm.html

I am in the process of just replacing this part to complete my big brake upgrade. This is way more up everyones alley in pricing.

I am about to get one but have not called due to the production problem, does not sound good right now.

hope that helps

What they're describing is nothing more than a new motor, which hardly ever fails. Most problems exist in the accumulator, or pressure switch.