Powermaster "Pressure Switch"

tom h

I bought a spare press switch 6-8 months ago, since I read there had been a recall long time ago.

Was the reason for the recall simply fluid leaking, or something else?

My original switch is not leaking, so I'm thinking to just hang on to the spare until a leak develops, and NOT yet put the new switch on. Is this wise?

if the system seems to be working properly don't worry, when the switch fails you will know. when the pump does not activate to rebuild pressure usually it's time for a switch. just replaced mine and all is well again.

The original switch was black and should have been replaced by the Buick recall. If yours is grey, then it is/was the replacement pressure switch and if not leaking should be ok.

Gary :)

I still have my original black switch installed (not leaking), and a spare grey replacement switch.

The way Powermaster repair parts have recently doubled in price, these spare parts are doing better than my stock investments :rolleyes:

You also asked for "why" did they replace this...?
Well, I've known a couple of original GN owners, that had theirs blow the switch off, (before recall), and trash their hood liner with brake fluid under pressure.
The advice mentioned above from Suburban and Black Car are both correct statements, and will hopefully solve your query.

Originally posted by tom h
I still have my original black switch installed (not leaking), and a spare grey replacement switch.

I would call your local Buick dealer and tell them you heard there was a recall on your Powermaster brake system. Give them your VIN # and they can check to see if your car has had the recall work done to it. Since you have the Black switch, there's a good possibility that the car was never taken back to the dealer for the recall. It's worth a phonecall and you might just get a new PM switch for free!

Ed

Has anyone tried lately to have the powermaster brake switch covered under the saftey recall? I called the local buick dealer and they told me the don't keep records on the anything older tha 1990 cars and they couldn't help me. They also told me the original replacement switches were black so there's know way to know for sure if I have a replacement swith or not (mine is black). Anyone have any recent success or suggestions?:(

Originally posted by jkdturbo6
Has anyone tried lately to have the powermaster brake switch covered under the saftey recall? I called the local buick dealer and they told me the don't keep records on the anything older tha 1990 cars and they couldn't help me. They also told me the original replacement switches were black so there's know way to know for sure if I have a replacement swith or not (mine is black). Anyone have any recent success or suggestions?:(

A factory recall never expires and will be in the Buick database for each vehicle. This is federal law. A dealership "idiot" does not want to take his "commission" time to look up a non-paying repair. If you drive in with the car, they are obligated to determine if this recall on your car has been completed, and if not, they must do it.

Problem with the dealer, call Buick on their 800 hot line.

Nick is of course, right on the money here. I had my GN in for the Proportioning valve recall, last year! They checked the switch and didn't replace it because it was grey. Recalls are recalls.
Jim

Nick and Jim.... thanks for the details. Once again GM focus on the customer and service is still on the bottom of my quality servicing ranking of all car companies I have experienced. The amount of money I've spent on GM cars over the years (well more than the cost of my first house!!) you would think GM would smarten up with keeping a databate of valuable and loyal customers happy before loosing us to the competition. :rolleyes:

I will be calling Buick customer service today and will advise them of my problem and what the dealer told me. I'll post updates as it unfolds.

Thanks again for your input!!