Powerful cars with good gas mileage? Need help picking a new daily driver...

Mileage is becoming more important to me than the performance, provided the car is still fun to drive even mid-low 15s (quarter mile) would be okay.

...Nobody has mentioned the Caliber SRT4, I read they have 285HP, but I'm not sure what kind of gas mileage it gets. EPA its rated at 19/27. If it were between the 2.5GT and this car and the difference was only 1MPG I would choose the 2.5GT though...

Gonna have a HARD time getting into one for 15k or less as they're only a year old (new in '08)...

I've driven several & honestly am really getting tempted to upgrade my NSRT4 to a CSRT4. It's still a compact, but fit & finish is improved a good bit over the Neon and quality of materials have made a step forward as well. Stock performance is right in the 14.2 ~ 14.0 range with a decent driver & they have a ton of untapped potential. Aftermarket support is still in it's infancy, but there ARE a few vendors out there with goodies to make 400+ hp.

Playing the part of the peer pressure Legacy GT devil, I just put almost 200 miles on my car running all over the place with a friend this weekend and my average bumped up over 25.2, since it was all highway *shrug* . Don't know what to say, man. You have to decide what you really want more, the power or the mpg's.
I do wish I got better mileage with the Subaru, honestly, but it's a 250 hp (Probably more like 280 hp car now), I can't complain :)

From the sounds of it, I'd really start looking at GTI's if I were you, they'd probably get you closer to 30 than the Suby ever would. Not quite as fast, but so what, still a ton of fun :)

As tempting at the Subie is, I think I am going to look at the Cobalt SS or Caliber SRT4, they get pretty good mileage, actually the cobalt is rated at 22/30 with a combined of 25. They also run a 14.0 bone stock at 103MPH and a zero to 60 of 5.8 secs. Brembo brakes... all sounds nice.

The GTI is a volkwagen and that scares me. I have a couple of friends with VWs and they are complete POS's. The drivetrains last but EVERYTHING else on the car is falling apart. Windows dont roll up, locks dont work, doors wont close or wont open, everything just seems to fall apart. And its not just one car and not just one year group so I will let others figure out if they are reliable over the long term.

I am leaning towards the Cobalt SS even though I don't really like they way they look, I think in Black I would be able to stomach it.

I saw them online for about 17K, so in another year they should be about 14K so I guess I will just wait it out.

I think I'm gonna go drive the Caliber SRT4 this weekend. I'll be acquiring a Toyota Camry back tomorrow that my ex-wife has been driving since we got divorced. Don't want it, and it probably won't sell, so I'm thinking of trading it in on something I would like to drive. :D

Might want to read some reviews on that caliber. Heard some horror stories.

Cobalt SS it is. Did some reading on them and haven't heard bad things. Motors are supposed to be pretty stout.

Specs are impressive. 0-60 5.8 sec 14.0@ 103 in the 1/4 mile. .89 g's
60-0 stopping in 115ft.

Another magazine was able to produce .92 g's and 0-60 in 5.5 secs.

All that plus 25MPG combined... thats what I'm talking about! :biggrin:

Might want to read some reviews on that caliber. Heard some horror stories.

What kind of horror stories? Can you post some links?

The base model Caliber gets hit quite a bit for being underpowered & having a "cheap" feeling interior... but the SRT4 is definately not lacking for motivation from the go-pedal and it's trim level (seats, materials used, etc..) is much improved over the lesser models.

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4 test drive / car reviews

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - Road Test/2008 New Car Reviews/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 Review

Cobalt SS it is. Did some reading on them and haven't heard bad things. Motors are supposed to be pretty stout.

Specs are impressive. 0-60 5.8 sec 14.0@ 103 in the 1/4 mile. .89 g's
60-0 stopping in 115ft.

Another magazine was able to produce .92 g's and 0-60 in 5.5 secs.

All that plus 25MPG combined... thats what I'm talking about! :biggrin:

These guys are doing a lot of stuff for the Ecotec turbo motor, and specific stuff for the cobalt like intake pipes. I want to apply these mods to the HHR.
Same motor, a little under tuned from the cobalt, but would still be fun.

Cobalt 2.0 Performance

What kind of horror stories? Can you post some links?

The base model Caliber gets hit quite a bit for being underpowered & having a "cheap" feeling interior... but the SRT4 is definately not lacking for motivation from the go-pedal and it's trim level (seats, materials used, etc..) is much improved over the lesser models.

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT-4 test drive / car reviews

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 - Road Test/2008 New Car Reviews/Car Shopping/Hot Lists/Reviews/Car and Driver - Car And Driver

2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 Review

Dodge Caliber Review | The Truth About Cars

I hear about really bad build quality, terrible handling, can't see out of the things, cheap interior etc. Not what I'd call a fun car.

The more I read this thread and read about the cars mentioned, it just makes me want a daily driver TR. :biggrin:

Dodge Caliber Review | The Truth About Cars

I hear about really bad build quality, terrible handling, can't see out of the things, cheap interior etc. Not what I'd call a fun car.

Build quality... it's a compact car, so it ain't no Beemer but as I said before it's a nice improvement over the Neon. Take a closer look at the article you posted, it's covering the base model cars; seats & trim in the SRT are MUCH nicer than the SXT or RT. Handling is very close to it's competitor's (Mazdaspeed 3, WRX wagon, etc..) and it's brakes are sourced from the poilce package Charger, which = HUGE for a car of it's size. Can't see... have you driven a Caliber? The C-pillar blind spot that is so common on hatch's of similar design is nearly non-existant, I WISH I could see out of my NSRT as well...

Hunt up some consumer reviews of actual owners / drivers of the CSRT-4 & you'll find consistantly more positive feedback.

I have a '05 Saab 92X Aero (rebadged WRX wagon) and honestly I think turbo Subies fall into your category pretty well. Getting decent fuel economy in one is not going to happen without a proper custom tune. Stock my car ran 14.9's and got 18mpg city and 25mpg highway. Now I have a 3" turbo back exhaust, catless up pipe, bigger top mount intercooler, modded stock airbox, silicone after maf pipe and turbo inlet pipe, and my friend has spent several hours tuning my car with a wideband. I now run low 13's and get 23mpg in the Phoenix heat driving stop sign to stop sign for 20 miles each way to work. I also have a heavy foot. In the winter I get 25mpg on the same route. My fuel economy goes up about 2mpg in I am doing mixed driving. I get 29-30 on the highway going 75-80mph.

Remember, the key to that fuel economy is in the tune. You should see if there is a local chapter of NASIOC around your area and see if they have a well respected tuner that uses open source tuning.

Here's what made my decision.... goodbye SRT-4!!!!

"GERMANY'S NÜRBURGRING RACETRACK WAS THE PROVING GROUND FOR THE '08 COBALT SS

DETROIT – The Cobalt SS is at home on the boulevard or starting grid, thanks to development at Germany's famed Nürburgring racing circuit – a winding, undulated road course of approximately 14 miles in length (22 km) and with more than 170 turns. It is considered by many professional racers and auto manufacturers as the ultimate test of a car's mettle.

In fact, the Cobalt SS set a lap record for front-drive sport-compact cars at the "'Ring," posting a time of 8:22.85 minutes – besting the previous record by more than 13 seconds."

I dont think VW, Dodge, Honda, or whoever can say this! :biggrin:

I'm sold on the 2008 Cobalt SS TC Coupe

"GERMANY'S NÜRBURGRING RACETRACK WAS THE PROVING GROUND FOR THE '08 COBALT SS

DETROIT – The Cobalt SS is at home on the boulevard or starting grid, thanks to development at Germany's famed Nürburgring racing circuit – a winding, undulated road course of approximately 14 miles in length (22 km) and with more than 170 turns. It is considered by many professional racers and auto manufacturers as the ultimate test of a car's mettle.

In fact, the Cobalt SS set a lap record for front-drive sport-compact cars at the "'Ring," posting a time of 8:22.85 minutes – besting the previous record by more than 13 seconds."

I dont think VW, Dodge, Honda, or whoever can say this! :biggrin:

I'm sold on the 2008 Cobalt SS TC Coupe

They might not be able to say that about a front wheel drive car but Dodge recently set the overall fastest time for a production car. The viper is fastest beating the Vette ZR1's time

Two great choices I can think of if you dont mind having an older car where you cant go wrong--

(1) e36 m3--Can easily get a 4-door one for around 15k. Very reliable, quick, and handles excellent. And usually the older crowd get the 4-door version so ull know it wasnt beat up by an idiot..I have the non-m3 version and have 200k miles on it, with original alternator, radiator, etc..Only thing I changed on it was the water pump.

(2) late model acura integra (V-tec)--Easily much less than 15k, very reliable (honda), and pretty quick. Youll even have plenty of $$ left over to put on a turbo kit, and it will be fastt..:smile:

They might not be able to say that about a front wheel drive car but Dodge recently set the overall fastest time for a production car. The viper is fastest beating the Vette ZR1's time

I didnt hear that, but if it's true cool for Dodge.

I don't have to worry about that though, I can't afford $90K cars!

I have an 06 Cobalt SS/sc that I bought new in 06 as my dd. I average about 25 around town and have gotten as much as 35 on the highway. It runs high 14's in the 1/4(not the fastest around). It is my winter car also and the only thing you should do is get some good snow tires all around for winter driving. Good luck with you purchase.