Powerful cars with good gas mileage? Need help picking a new daily driver...

SS/GNX

Formerly NothinYet
I am looking at what I should get as my next daily driver.

I want something that will average about 23-26MPG and is quick and stick.

Something that has balls (runs 14s or so) and will get that kind of mileage, cost around $15K or less. Does not have to be new, actually trying to find something I will love as a daily driver so I can keep it until it explodes!

Any suggestions?

you can find early C5 vettes- 97-02 or so- for under $10k with a few miles on them.
they fit all your criteria as long as you don't need to haul any kids around- power, mileage, cool factor..
you could also see what slightly used '04-06 GTO's are going for- a Toyota dealer up this way had two of them- a red 04 auto and a black 05 stick- for $16k each and only 15,000 miles on each of them.
there are also the 94-96 Impala SS or 9C1 Caprices.

C5 vette is cool and gets decent mileage, but I dont think thats gonna fly for insurance purposes as well as only being a 2 seater.

GTOs dont get good gas mileage, about 16 combined is what they are rated at.

Again, I want to be at least 22-23 combined and thats at a MINIMUM.
I would rather be near 25+. Doesnt have to be fast, not looking to replace the Monte or go faster than it, just something quick that will be fun as heck to drive everyday.

03-05 Acura TL?

186323.jpg

I believe there was a recall on the 6-speed model so just make sure that it's been done.

Sorry, for that:smile:

The Vette and F body options are good ones.

I am looking at what I should get as my next daily driver.

I want something that will average about 23-26MPG and is quick and stick.

Something that has balls (runs 14s or so) and will get that kind of mileage, cost around $15K or less. Does not have to be new, actually trying to find something I will love as a daily driver so I can keep it until it explodes!

Any suggestions?

Look for an '05 and up Legacy GT. I bought my '05 in Feb. '08 for $16,200 with 30,600 miles on it. 250 hp stock, 5 speed, AWD (obviously). I bought a used Accessport and different downpipe and am running a "Stage 2" tune on it and it scoots :D . They run high 13's, real low 14's stock. Mine's probably 13.5 capable now (Don't know, it's my DD and I don't beat on it). I typically average about 23.5 mpg and around 27 on road trips...) It's a fun car, I love it :D

rightfront2.jpg

Look for an '05 and up Legacy GT. I bought my '05 in Feb. '08 for $16,200 with 30,600 miles on it. 250 hp stock, 5 speed, AWD (obviously). I bought a used Accessport and different downpipe and am running a "Stage 2" tune on it and it scoots :D . They run high 13's, real low 14's stock. Mine's probably 13.5 capable now (Don't know, it's my DD and I don't beat on it). I typically average about 23.5 mpg and around 27 on road trips...) It's a fun car, I love it :D

rightfront2.jpg

I stand corrected. A Scooby would be a bit more fun than a TL.

rightfront2.jpg

Do you pay much attention to your mileage? If you honestly get 23.5MPG consistently with this car, I think you just found my next car. I really like them, forgot all about them because I wanted one back when they were new and cost too much $$$.

I looked up the EPA ratings and its only 17 city 23 highway, how are you getting this mileage? All highway driving? Was it not as good before the mods?

Do you pay much attention to your mileage? If you honestly get 23.5MPG consistently with this car, I think you just found my next car. I really like them, forgot all about them because I wanted one back when they were new and cost too much $$$.

I looked up the EPA ratings and its only 17 city 23 highway, how are you getting this mileage? All highway driving? Was it not as good before the mods?

I do pay attention to mileage, as it's my DD. I don't know why the ratings are so low, but I typically drive I'd say 60% back roads and 40% highway and am getting around 23.5 for the most part. Like said, on road trips (all highway) I can get 26+ depending on the terrain, traffic, stops, etc. etc. It should be noted that I'm getting this mileage by driving conservatively, staying out of boost for the most part and not putting the hammer down. The few mods I've done haven't seemed to affect the mileage, really. Some people claim they've gained mpg's after doing similar mods, but I haven't seen it.
Hope this helps :) . Like said, I love the car and plan on keeping it for quite awhile :D

EDIT: Should also note, I don't know your age, but insurance on it is very reasonable (In my case at least). I was looking at WRX's as well and the insurance rates were much higher on them, I suppose for obvious reasons.

I'll go up in flames for this I'm sure...Kyle's friend just bought a new Neon SRT...runs 14's (already took it to the track). Sporty, not a two seater, runs decent times, gets good gas mileage...go ahead, light the torches...lol :biggrin:

VW (turbo) GTI w/revo flash and a cold air intake. You will smoke that Cobalt LOL!
Don't know exactly how fast but I'll take you for a ride. You will be impressed. It gets great mileage accept for one problem. My foot! :cool:

Buy an ls1 camaro or trans am theyll run 13s almost stock and get 25 mpg if ya go easy on it.

Buy an ls1 camaro or trans am theyll run 13s almost stock and get 25 mpg if ya go easy on it.

If you like wrenching on your cars you will have to clone a four inch version of yourself to work on any of the late model f-bodies.

I do like the SRT Neons, but I'm not sure of their quality. After all it is still a neon. I test drove a brand spankin new one. Banged second gear hard one time and the shifter ball came off in my hand. Still like them though. Luckily the shifter ball went back on without issue.

I'll go up in flames for this I'm sure...Kyle's friend just bought a new Neon SRT...runs 14's (already took it to the track). Sporty, not a two seater, runs decent times, gets good gas mileage...go ahead, light the torches...lol :biggrin:

My buddy had one, that thing really moved. Even the trans felt good, no sloppy shifting unlike some FWD cars. They dont really sound that bad either although the blow-off valve CONSTANTLY goes off when you touch the gas :rolleyes: Definatly a fun car with balls.