Powerful cars with good gas mileage? Need help picking a new daily driver...

Nissan Altima or Maxima with the 3.5. My 04 Max does 14.6 bone stock and gets about 23 combined, plus I got a ton toys. Love the heated steering wheel.:biggrin:

srt4, colbaltSS, the subaru, or kick it old school in a dodge daytona:cool: Really f@ck with people and get a turbo minivan-make it run 13s and haul Gbody parts at the same time, its a no brainer;)

I bought a Dodge Magnum when they first came out with the Hemi. I get 26 mpg on highway at 80 mph and in town 21 without taking it easy. Thats probably close to 22 average. Love the car, still get compliments added a hitch and have towed my GN and trailer and averaged 17 mpg.
One of the best cars I have purchased new.
On ebay I have seen a few at 14k low miles

The 09 Cobalt SS's are turbo'd :D .

Or you could get a decent 07/08 Impala SS. 5.3L small block, 305hp, that has displacement on demand, so you should get good mileage out of it. A buddy of mine drove one said it flies for what it is.

The 09 Cobalt SS's are turbo'd :D .

Or you could get a decent 07/08 Impala SS. 5.3L small block, 305hp, that has displacement on demand, so you should get good mileage out of it. A buddy of mine drove one said it flies for what it is.

Show me either of these for 15K :p

I'll go up in flames for this I'm sure...Kyle's friend just bought a new Neon SRT...runs 14's (already took it to the track). Sporty, not a two seater, runs decent times, gets good gas mileage...go ahead, light the torches...lol :biggrin:

Finding one that hasn't been beat on by some retard wearing a sideways hat is next to impossible though.

An SRT 4 is NOT going to get 23-24mpg! The best I got with mine was 19 driving like a grandma. Absolutely no boost for the whole tank, mostly highway too.

I do pay attention to mileage, as it's my DD. I don't know why the ratings are so low, but I typically drive I'd say 60% back roads and 40% highway and am getting around 23.5 for the most part. Like said, on road trips (all highway) I can get 26+ depending on the terrain, traffic, stops, etc. etc. It should be noted that I'm getting this mileage by driving conservatively, staying out of boost for the most part and not putting the hammer down. The few mods I've done haven't seemed to affect the mileage, really. Some people claim they've gained mpg's after doing similar mods, but I haven't seen it.
Hope this helps :) . Like said, I love the car and plan on keeping it for quite awhile :D

EDIT: Should also note, I don't know your age, but insurance on it is very reasonable (In my case at least). I was looking at WRX's as well and the insurance rates were much higher on them, I suppose for obvious reasons.

I appreciate this info, I am 27, and I also care about insurance rates. That is good to know. Thank you. I wish I knew someone else with this car so I could find out if your mileage is a fluke or consistent with that vehicle. I can stay well out of the boost when I drive as well, I will be using it for the same exact reason, daily driver, keep it for awhile.

Finding one that hasn't been beat on by some retard wearing a sideways hat is next to impossible though.

LMFAO!!!! Hahahaha! That is so true. I don't think I could do a neon just because of the boy ricer image.

VW (turbo) GTI w/revo flash and a cold air intake. You will smoke that Cobalt LOL!
Don't know exactly how fast but I'll take you for a ride. You will be impressed. It gets great mileage accept for one problem. My foot! :cool:

I'll take you up on the offer, but what mileage does it get?
I have a couple friends that have had VWs over the years and their reliability over the long term was terrible. That would be my ONLY fear with that car. I have driven one, they are fun.

If they come in stick and get 23MPGs, MAYBE.

No stick, forget it. I am DONE with automatics for my daily drivers.

I have been driving stick since I was 15 and every daily driver I have had was stick. This last one (the accord) I got in auto because I was thinking about the wife. Big mistake, I can't do it, and the worst part is the wife doesn't drive the damn thing anyway and doesnt care if I have stick.

I think I am going to go sniff around some subaru forums and ask average mileage on the Legacy GT... I really like this car.

More suggestions are still welcomed though.

I live in Chicago, so I am not going to drive a gbody. One winter and that thing will be toast.

I think I am going to go sniff around some subaru forums and ask average mileage on the Legacy GT... I really like this car.

Gas mileage - seriously - Subaru Legacy Forums

Gas Mileage Poll - Page 2 - Subaru Legacy Forums

QUESTION: Legacy GT 2005+ 2.5T Gas Mileage - Subaru Legacy Forums

;)

Some of these guys are getting crappy mileage, but who knows how they're driving the cars, ya know?? I stand by my 23.5 average :p

Another pic of mine, I just had all the windows done 35%, so I'm eager to post pics :D

legacytint.jpg

EDIT: This might be a factor for you, but I should mention that like all turbo cars, it needs premium gas. I haven't found it to be that big of a deal, but it is a couple bucks extra per fillup. :)

1st - Car looks great.

2nd - You said 60% "back roads" what are the average speed limits in these "back roads" and how many stop signs and stop lights are there?

From those links you sent me as well as some other research most seem to be getting in the 18-19 MPG city rating, which isn't really good. I had a 99 Camaro Z28 that would easily get 18MPG and it ran high 12s bone stock. (a bear to drive in thick snow though!)

Oh, and I don't really care if it needs premium so much, but if it's in the teens and needs premium it's waaaayyy out of the league I want to be in.

1st - Car looks great.

2nd - You said 60% "back roads" what are the average speed limits in these "back roads" and how many stop signs and stop lights are there?

I'm basing this 60% on my work commute, which for the most part, is most of the miles I put on the car. I have a choice of two routes, one all highway, the other all back roads through the country/farmland, which I take 60% of the time, I'd say. Whatever strikes the mood that day, ha ha.
The back way's an 18 mile drive and speed limits are between 35 and 45, I have, lets see... 8 stop signs or red lights. The terrain is very hilly, typical western PA stuff, just as much time coasting downhill as going up, ya know? lol...

Oh, and I don't really care if it needs premium so much, but if it's in the teens and needs premium it's waaaayyy out of the league I want to be in.

No problem, man. Just wanted to give you my experiences. I still stand by, these guys getting mileage in the teens aren't driving right, or they've got some other mods that are killing it :D . Good luck with your search, let us know what you find :)

EDIT: Just took this on the way back from lunch :p . Yes, I've actually computed the mileage before and not just trusted the readout. It's pretty accurate.

mileaged.jpg

get a volvo s60r 300hp awd loaded and turbo intercooled. i spank stis,gtos and all kinds of rice in this car and it still gets 28 to 30- miles per gallon hahaha... another thing you have adj suspention with the touch of a button too:D and 10 airbags so your safe this is not mine but just a random pic of a r
volvo-s60r-1.jpg

get a volvo s60r 300hp awd loaded and turbo intercooled. i spank stis,gtos and all kinds of rice in this car and it still gets 28 to 30- miles per gallon hahaha... another thing you have adj suspention with the touch of a button too:D and 10 airbags so your safe this is not mine but just a random pic of a r

Gotta admit, that's sweet :D