Powerful cars with good gas mileage? Need help picking a new daily driver...

get a volvo s60r 300hp awd loaded and turbo intercooled. i spank stis,gtos and all kinds of rice in this car and it still gets 28 to 30- miles per gallon hahaha... another thing you have adj suspention with the touch of a button too:D and 10 airbags so your safe this is not mine but just a random pic of a r
volvo-s60r-1.jpg

28-30MPG???? Come on... EPA ratings are 16/23

Hows the reliability? My parents have an XC90 and its a POS after 70K miles!

heres a pic of mine i forgot to tell everyone that it has 13 inch brake rotors all the way around and 4 piston calipers too it stops on a dime plus the 6 speed is nice
IMG00205.jpg

2165D0431_4.jpg

2165D0431.jpg

2165D0431_6.jpg

I'm gonna call you out on the STi killer thing though. Just read a C&D review that said the 0-60 was 5.5 with a 14.0 1/4. That's fast, but not exactly a killer. Do they know they're in a race when you take off? :p

get a volvo s60r 300hp awd loaded and turbo intercooled. i spank stis,gtos and all kinds of rice in this car and it still gets 28 to 30- miles per gallon hahaha... another thing you have adj suspention with the touch of a button too:D and 10 airbags so your safe this is not mine but just a random pic of a r
volvo-s60r-1.jpg

Do you seriously own a S60R? Those are supposedly one of the most rare Volvos in the States and sweet Jesus do I wish I had one! Nothing like the sound of a turbo 5-cylinder.

Edit: And there's no way in Hell you got it for anywhere near $15k.

I agree w/ The VW recomendations. I am on my 3rd, I had 2 Jetta 1.8Ts, one 04 GLI w/ nothing done, one 03 GLS w/ tons done. Both got well over 20 mpg city when not getting beat. With only APR chip and air filter swap my 03 GLS 1.8t made 210 whp, and 260 wtq and ran a 14.1 @ 100 and would avg mid 20s mpg. This is w/ heated leather, all options, and 17" wheels. These cars are now -$10K and the chip is about $500, but worth every penny. The down fall is coil packs were prone to failure, but they pretty much have that worked out now.
I also have an 07 passat wagon 2.0T and it gets mid 20s mixed, and has tons of room, and good power. Its also FS!!

I agree w/ The VW recomendations. I am on my 3rd, I had 2 Jetta 1.8Ts, one 04 GLI w/ nothing done, one 03 GLS w/ tons done. Both got well over 20 mpg city when not getting beat. With only APR chip and air filter swap my 03 GLS 1.8t made 210 whp, and 260 wtq and ran a 14.1 @ 100 and would avg mid 20s mpg. This is w/ heated leather, all options, and 17" wheels. These cars are now -$10K and the chip is about $500, but worth every penny. The down fall is coil packs were prone to failure, but they pretty much have that worked out now.
I also have an 07 passat wagon 2.0T and it gets mid 20s mixed, and has tons of room, and good power. Its also FS!!

My wife had an '03 1.8T Jetta, 5 speed and it was a terrific car. Not 14's, stock, but it had plenty of power, really. Enough to keep a commute interesting, it wasn't a boring car :)

I'll go up in flames for this I'm sure...Kyle's friend just bought a new Neon SRT...runs 14's (already took it to the track). Sporty, not a two seater, runs decent times, gets good gas mileage...go ahead, light the torches...lol :biggrin:

GTFO:biggrin:

flamethrower.gif

The numbers posted about that Legaacy GT are about what I was getting with my 99 Regal GS. Of course, it's not a stick. But comfortable and peppy and got nice mileage as long as I was decent to her. You can find the early 2000's pretty cheap too.

If I ever need a DD again, I'll find a low mileage '03 and put it to work.

Gotta put my vote in for the 06-09 VW GTI. Have had my 07 for 2 years 37000 miles now with no problems. Average 28-29 mpg driving 70 miles a day Highway and city. Not as fast in a strait line as my stepsons 05 SRT4(The GN keeps him in his place with the straits:D ) but I'll walk walk away from him on the twisty back roads and its a lot more comfortable ride.

Attachments

• GTI018tn_R.jpg
    GTI018tn_R.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 306
  • GTI009tn_R.jpg
    GTI009tn_R.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 300
Like I said, old school dodge:cool: Parts are cheap, they are capable of 35+mpg on the highway, and insurance price shouldn't be much more than 30 bucks a month cause they are considered "regular cars" You can find nice ones starting around 3k. Cars can easily be tuned to run high 12s on mostly stock parts. FWD so they're good in the snow. Yes they're old, but I'd rather have one of these than an SRT4 that would cost triple of everything for the old school cars

I'm gonna call you out on the STi killer thing though. Just read a C&D review that said the 0-60 was 5.5 with a 14.0 1/4. That's fast, but not exactly a killer. Do they know they're in a race when you take off? :p
sorry they are no match for my k24 porsche ported turbo and intake,downpipe upgrade.

Do you seriously own a S60R? Those are supposedly one of the most rare Volvos in the States and sweet Jesus do I wish I had one! Nothing like the sound of a turbo 5-cylinder.

Edit: And there's no way in Hell you got it for anywhere near $15k.
yes i really do have one that one is mine i brought it to the last buick meet. yeah your right no where near 15k. i wish lol mine was 44k from the factory but i picked it up used with 33 thousand miles on it for 24k.pretty good deal i think

yes i really do have one that one is mine i brought it to the last buick meet. yeah your right no where near 15k. i wish lol mine was 44k from the factory but i picked it up used with 33 thousand miles on it for 24k.pretty good deal i think
Too bad DAN drove into it last week. Fu ckin DAN'S!

If your worried about insurance costs as you mentioned earlier in the thread your not really into getting a high performance car. C5's can be had at a great deal these days. Would you pay 15k-20 for a really nice Vette that will depreciate at a very slow rate or would you pay 30k to save $500-1000 on insurance or $1000 in fuel. Lol. You will most likely pay more in sales tax on the $30k car than you will have spent extra on insurance in the first year!

If your worried about insurance costs as you mentioned earlier in the thread your not really into getting a high performance car. C5's can be had at a great deal these days. Would you pay 15k-20 for a really nice Vette that will depreciate at a very slow rate or would you pay 30k to save $500-1000 on insurance or $1000 in fuel. Lol. You will most likely pay more in sales tax on the $30k car than you will have spent extra on insurance in the first year!

I'm not going to, nor will I ever pay 30K for a car, I just dont believe they are worth it. If I wont the lotto or started making $200K per year then MAYBE.

I agree they wont depreciate, but its a 2 seater RWD sports car (GREAT for winter, lol) and its not going to get 23-25MPG. I'm sure if you baby it, it will get 20 though. A good suggestion, but I really don't think I'm gonna do that one, I'll end up dumping more money into it to go faster and then the Monte is useless. Dont want that to happen.

Flyin(turbo) Miata? My friend's DD is pushing close to 200rwhp and it's the funnest car I've ever driven.

Img_5735.jpg