Power steering pump

rb68rr

How much of a pita is it to change the power steering pump? Looks like you have to remove a lot of stuff just to get to it!!! Any step by step procedures anywhere? Thanks r.B.

Not hard but there is one pitfall. Our pump is reverse rotation, it is very common to get a correct looking pump at a parts store but it will not work. Best to source the pump from a GN specific vendor.

You will need a puller to remove the pulley when you do the swap, pulley is not included with the pump.

Rebuilt on ebay 82 bucks in CT. Comes with pulley puller. Takes about an hour.
Pull air filter tube. Then disconect two lines to drain on pump. Carefull not to disturb resevior.
Pull pulley off with the puller and two mount bolts. Carefull installing mount bolts
As bracket aluminum is very soft.

mc575's procedure is good. The only thing I would do differently is take the pump with pulley off as an assembly (holes in pulley will line up with bolts) then remove the pulley on the bench.

Anyone happen to know a part # for a power steering pump pulley for 86 G.N. that's "steel" flat/smooth surface that the backside ( not ribs) of the serpentine belt rides on?
I had to replace the R.J.C. aircraft light weight aluminum idler pulley because it fell apart, the pulley itself turned into a chinese throwing star that the drive belt was riding on.
I can see the power steering pump pulley is also compromised and I want to preemptively change that pulley to a steel one.
The car originally came with a "V" belt pulley so that's no longer viable.
If you search youtube, there's 2 videos, ( one is the install & the other is removal) and the guy is using a smooth steel pulley but he makes no mention as to the pulley itself, just on how to pull/press it on the pump shaft.
Last thing I want to do is put another R.J.C. aluminum "RAZOR" style light weight pulley on.
Any help or input would be appreciated from anyone.