Power Steering / Hydroboost Help!!

Remember the PS pump recall. 86's whined from the factory the return hose was too small for the application. The return hose on the replacement part was round 3/4".

I did an 84-85 convertion from Autozone (booster,hoses,master cylinder).NO wines and good brakes.
On the reservoir i drill a hole and put a fitting forthe return line.

Maybe it's just time for a louder stereo. JK.

Good luck on finding the problem.

~JM~

Update...We saw a leak on the high pressure side of the PS pump when pressing the brakes or turning to each locked side. We pulled the pump again, put an o-ring on the male end of the high pressure line to secure the fitting and tightened everything back up. We rechecked all of the hoses,..and yet it still whines....and leaks too from the same spot. I ordered another pump from autozone, will replace it and if that doesn't work. I will probably rip everything out, put the best pump, hoses, and even redo the hydroboost system. This is frustrating. Could this have anything to do with the gear box? I always hear a squishy sound when turning right when bleeding the system, front tires off the ground, car off. I'll keep you guys posted when I change this pump again.

Take a close look at the large return line to see if it is kinked or vacuuming in on itself, I know its hard to see, but it sounds like you have a spotter to help, This issue is mentioned several times as a problem spot.
Good luck, hope you don't have to change everything, but if you do shop carefully for new parts.

I had a similar problem when I did my conversion. There is a valve and spring behind the port on the PS pump and it can get stuck. Not a guarantee but at least something for you to check. If you take the hose off, you will see a small hole in the center of the port. I took a thin allen wrench and stuck it in there. You could use a thin screwdriver, pick, etc. You should be able to push down on it and it should give back and fourth like it is got a spring in there (because it does). Mine was stuck and wouldn't budge at all. You can get a 7/8 socket and remove the port (its like a nut threaded into the pump) and use a magnet or something to pull the valve and spring out. Clean them real well and lube with PS fluid and reinstall. In the end it did too much damage to my pump and the whine was still there, nowhere near as bad. I replaced with a remanned Delco pump (after making sure the valve was not stuck) and all was good. Good luck!

I had a similar problem when I did my conversion. There is a valve and spring behind the port on the PS pump and it can get stuck. Not a guarantee but at least something for you to check. If you take the hose off, you will see a small hole in the center of the port. I took a thin allen wrench and stuck it in there. You could use a thin screwdriver, pick, etc. You should be able to push down on it and it should give back and fourth like it is got a spring in there (because it does). Mine was stuck and wouldn't budge at all. You can get a 7/8 socket and remove the port (its like a nut threaded into the pump) and use a magnet or something to pull the valve and spring out. Clean them real well and lube with PS fluid and reinstall. In the end it did too much damage to my pump and the whine was still there, nowhere near as bad. I replaced with a remanned Delco pump (after making sure the valve was not stuck) and all was good. Good luck!

I took the PS pump off again, checked the valve, it was stuck. We messed with it some and it budged. Nevertheless, the other pump gets in tomorrow. I will make sure to check this one before I put it on. I sure hope this was the problem. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help.

Very interesting, do you think the other replacement pumps had stuck valves also ?

Either way thanks for bird dogging this issue and sharing the result !

I know there are different valves that screw in there too with different sizes orifices. On the montes there are 3 normally used ones. let me look it up.

Very interesting, do you think the other replacement pumps had stuck valves also ?

Either way thanks for bird dogging this issue and sharing the result !

Maybe, but the whine was never this loud, so I doubt it... I can remember for the past 25 years this car has always had a whine. But like I said before, it sounded nothing like this....this is loud. If this issue gets solved now and I have absolutely no whine, then I will really never know what the cause was as I replaced the recalled 86 reservoir to the updated one and I replaced the hose that the steering shaft was rubbing against at the same time. That hose may have had a small air leak that only got bigger through all the years until it finally burst open. I think it would be one of those two things...but I'm not out of the woods yet. I'll let you guys know how the new pump install goes tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed!

Update: I went to autozone, picked up the new pump, checked the valve(it was good), put the pulley on it (it spun much smoother than the last one), installed it on the car, bled the system, started the car, and most of the whine was gone! Even at full left or right locks! I can still hear sporadic whine, but I'm guessing that's just the air passing through. However, it still whines like crazy when I brake. The pedal pumps back at me as well. Do you guys think the booster went out too? Anyway, the car is still on jack stands, I'm going to let it sit over night and bleed it some more tomorrow then take it for a spin in hope that the brake whine goes away. I'll keep you guys posted. It's not perfect, but its progress, and I can deal with this. Thanks for all your help.

PS fluid is leaking from the high pressure line right at the pump...thinking I need a new hose...this might be causing the brake whine as it probably is sucking air in there...anyone know what fittings I need and length for stainless steel line. I only need pump to booster line with fittings.

Do you mind using a compression fitting? Some don’t like to use them but its the easiest way to do it. you can get a 3/8 to -6 fitting cut the fitting off the stainless line that goes around the pump and use the fitting on it then you need I think it’s -6x 14mm o-ring Ill look it up for you when I get home and take a pic or you can use a banjo fitting since both cost the same around $25 it comes down to what you want for looks and house routing I went with the compression fitting. I have hydro booster flipped upside down and made my own resivoir so my house may be longer or shorter then you would want I used an old water house to find a length that worked for me. Then go to fragola’s web site look at pre made Teflon house section and look for the house in the size you need then go to summit racing and order it. Just so you get an idea on price a pre made24 in crimped on both ends stainless Teflon house is only $27 but your limited on hose length.look this house up on summit racing to see what i used Fragola Performance Systems 371024

Have you considered trying to buy your parts from NAPA instead of Autozone? Request their "Premium Line". Usually a higher quality part but of course it will cost a bit more. Just something to consider.

~JM~

I used an AN compression fitting on my Dually hydroboost to adapt it to 6AN for the return line, the other one was part of the kit from Hydratech.

Just noticed you are in Panama City, we are damn near neighbors.

ABSOLUTELY NO WHINE NOW!!!! WOOO HOOO!!! I changed the high pressure line to braided stainless steel -6 AN with M18 x 1.50 to 9/16 and M16 x 1.50 to 9/16 adaptors. Here's what I learned from this ordeal. My PS system was MESSED UP! Many things could have been causing the whine for the past 25 years and I changed them all. The updated reservoir, the bad 5/8 return hose, and the bad high pressure line. After I changed the reservoir and the return hose and the pump, it was still whining...turns out the pump was bad...After I changed that again, it still whined when I pressed the brakes, turns out the high pressure fitting that goes in to the PS pump had notched up threads causing a tiny leak. This tiny air leak caused a HUGE whine when I pressed the brakes. These systems must be totally leak free or there will be whine. My advice to anyone with an issue like this would be to buy a high quality pump and to check all your lines and fittings. When in doubt, change them. In this case, SS lines worked well for me and it looks cool too. Thanks again for all your help. I can actually hear my motor now :)

The assembly on the hydroboost stainless steel line picture is the same as on the PS pump side only with different adaptors as mentioned above. On the second pic you can see the small cracks on the threads that were the cause of this headache.

booster1.jpgline1.jpg

I used an AN compression fitting on my Dually hydroboost to adapt it to 6AN for the return line, the other one was part of the kit from Hydratech.

Just noticed you are in Panama City, we are damn near neighbors.

Yes we are, there are 5 GN's here in Panama City...we gotta take a trip to Destin one day and all meet up!