Power steering drops out when I let off.

darkred87T

It does it mostly when I let off from being on it hard or after a lot of boost. I thought at first the motor was momentarily stalling/cutting out but looking at the RPM it doesn't seem to drop below a 1000 when I lift. Also, when I'm just sitting still turning the wheel back and forth the power steering is choppy.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

It does it mostly when I let off from being on it hard or after a lot of boost. I thought at first the motor was momentarily stalling/cutting out but looking at the RPM it doesn't seem to drop below a 1000 when I lift. Also, when I'm just sitting still turning the wheel back and forth the power steering is choppy.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

belt slipping?

Notice the power steering uses the back side of the belt. This can be a problem for cheaper belts. They don't grip very well on that side. Good idea to run a premium belt. Another little trick is to get one slightly shorter than factory. Try a Micro-V K060630 from car quest. Thats what I'm running right now.

Another thing, make sure no oil or dirt on the belt and pulleys. A little brake cleaner works wonders.

One last thing is the tensioner pulley. Check to see if the spring action is smooth and free from binding. If it's sticky or hanging up, that could cause problems too.

GL

I replaced the cheap Autozone belt with another cheap Autozone belt and it cleared up for now. Should be good for about another 200 miles. :rolleyes: I'll try the Carquest one once it happens again.
Thanks for replies.