Power Steering bleed with HB

BoostedGMC

I recently installed a hydratech brake system on my 87 gn. I bled the system for a few hours, drove it, and bled it some more. It doesn't seem to have much effect on the whine coming from the power steering system. I called hydratech and they recommended a low pressure fitting to be installed on the pump and that should some my problems. I just want to make sure I don't have other issues that would be causing the whine so I don't have to go through the trouble of installing this part for nothing.

I recently installed a hydratech brake system on my 87 gn. I bled the system for a few hours, drove it, and bled it some more. It doesn't seem to have much effect on the whine coming from the power steering system. I called hydratech and they recommended a low pressure fitting to be installed on the pump and that should some my problems. I just want to make sure I don't have other issues that would be causing the whine so I don't have to go through the trouble of installing this part for nothing.
I recently installed a Hydratech system also. I was told by Hydratech that the car should be driven 150 miles and that should silence the whine. The instructions say to drive the car 500 miles to eliminate any whine. By driving the car all the tiny bubbles causing the whine will Dissipate. I won't know until spring time if this works or not. I did install a rebuilt power steering pump after I could not illuminate the wine. The whine is about the same with the rebuilt pump.

Many times the bubbles will make a whine because you are bringing air into the pump in the bubbles.
Try letting the system stand overnight, then lift the front end and turn the wheels from side to side with the engine off.
That should get the air out if not you may have to change the pump

I converted mine to the 84/85 HB system months ago and I'm still dealing with a whine. Granted it has gotten better, but it's still annoying. I'm going to try some Lucas or BG fluids, and if they don't work I'm switching to vacuum.

I installed an hydratech style system and the only way to eliminate the whine is to vacuum bleed the system and install another inlet on the reservoir. This was after 3 pumps and multiple checks on the lines.

I installed an hydratech style system and the only way to eliminate the whine is to vacuum bleed the system and install another inlet on the reservoir. This was after 3 pumps and multiple checks on the lines.
Why do you need to install another inlet to reservoir? I assume you mean return line from booster instead of connecting with T fitting.

Wouldn't this one work? I am not 100% sure, but don't think any tee is needed on this set up.
Looks like you can even order with optional -10AN lines.

http://powerbrakeservice.net/bialrepostre2.html

NO need for -10...
The units we use are not Hydratech, but new units from another vendor, Elliott Sydnam. They don't have the fancy mount, the polished acc cover, but they aren't $800, either. No whine issues on them, so far. We make our own hoses.
The first unit had some noise. We added Lucas p/s additive, and the Borgeson psi shims. No more noise.
The last 3 have made no noise...No mods, or Lucas involved.

Is it critical to tap into the PS reservoir from the booster to eliminate the whine? Or just a good vacuum bleeding of the system? I just don't see how the return line can cause the whine.

The guy at hydratech told me that the original high pressure fitting on the stock ps pump would create turbulence in the line and wouldn't let the air bubbles dissipate. He gave me a part number for the low pressure fitting that is supposed to eliminate the turbulence and allow the air to bleed out of the system. Just wondering if anyone has used this part before and if there are any cons to using this vs the stock fitting.

20151201_175624.jpg

PS res 001.jpg
PS res 002.jpg
As I mentioned in the other thread...Drilled and installed a -6 return to the stock res..
Note the modified mount. This is necessary if using a HB that doesn't stick the mc up at the hood.

The guy at hydratech told me that the original high pressure fitting on the stock ps pump would create turbulence in the line and wouldn't let the air bubbles dissipate. He gave me a part number for the low pressure fitting that is supposed to eliminate the turbulence and allow the air to bleed out of the system. Just wondering if anyone has used this part before and if there are any cons to using this vs the stock fitting.

Anxious to hear the results of this new fitting...

View attachment 268000 View attachment 268001 As I mentioned in the other thread...Drilled and installed a -6 return to the stock res..
Note the modified mount. This is necessary if using a HB that doesn't stick the mc up at the hood.
Do you recall the part # for the fitting? I have the same MC. It must be OK to have the fitting installed at the bottom of the reservoir? I was thinking of placing the fitting above the fluid level in the reservoir